Fell terrier cross

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The brothers bitch father is patterdale and dam is full whippet about 5mths.. Should be interesting to see how it works out. Def plenty of character.

cant believe i found this. not the best image but the little bitch is the first cross fellterrier.x. greyhound. the black n tan was 15 tts and he was the sire. the two pot lickers in the centre where

This thread has been done before I think so I apologise. I've been wondering about this cross for various reasons I'll not waste too much time on. Done a bit of searching and found what doesn't surpri

Posted Images

no . not that i know of anyway.  most where to heavy. one was brought back at twelve months . wasnt even leash trained. and lethal with anything that moved. including all stock. he wasnt passed on again. as the saying goes some fell on stoney ground.. he was the best made of them all. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Bet he could of been decent if he was reared right

i still recon that this cross straight back to a greyhound would produce some handy dogs. but have to say i had a whippet/beddy first cross . he was hard as nails and would work below like a terrier if needed.  he would have been the dog to put over the bitch.  and i have to say you will get better results using working bred wheaten or beddy if you can find the right stuff. jmo

• Like 3

I’m sorry born mate 

but a lad I knew very wellhad a fell terrier x deerhound / grey  from an accidental line 

it was arguably the worst lurcher I’ve ever seen 

gutless, it justvwasnt strong enough for that heavy work , windy, deaf, a liability around dogs, and worst of all ......

it sounded like a hound when running ! 

I don’t keep a running dog these days but to be honest a good bull pisses all over whatever a bedlington has to offer , and an earth dog hybrid will always bark or sound off as that’s is nature ..,

a good bull type should do all you want it to do. Don’t forget that for every poser, there are some serious , serious bull xs out there worked by proper dog lads 

keep the dream in your head pal and get a beddy cross with a splash of bull...... post-2989-0-62393600-1377026453.jpg

2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’m sorry born mate 

but a lad I knew very wellhad a fell terrier x deerhound / grey  from an accidental line 

gutless, it justvwasnt strong enough for that heavy work , windy, deaf, a liability around dogs, and worst of all ......

I don’t keep a running dog these days but to be honest a good bull pisses all over whatever a bedlington has to offer , and an earth dog hybrid will always bark or sound off as that’s is nature ..,

a good bull type should do all you want it to do. Don’t forget that for every poser, there are some serious , serious bull xs out there worked by proper dog lads 

keep the dream in your head pal and get a beddy cross with a splash of bull...... post-2989-0-62393600-1377026453.jpg

Gordon Bennett that was harsh

• 1 year later...
On 11/05/2018 at 18:12, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’m sorry born mate 

keep the dream in your head pal and get a beddy cross with a splash of bull...... 

Not seen this post until now. Fair comment. This cross is still holding favour in the back of my head. Likely never happen, just a dream. I got a terrier pup a few months after posting this so don't want anything else for a fair while now anyway. One thing I would say though is that I wouldn't intend for it to match a bull cross. If I wanted a big strong dog, I have the offer on a pup from a very good mates bitch.

Anyway I pulled this thread back up to add this Aussie Russell Greyhound.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Not seen this post until now. Fair comment. This cross is still holding favour in the back of my head. Likely never happen, just a dream. I got a terrier pup a few months after posting this so don't want anything else for a fair while now anyway. One thing I would say though is that I wouldn't intend for it to match a bull cross. If I wanted a big strong dog, I have the offer on a pup from a very good mates bitch.

Anyway I pulled this thread back up to add this Aussie Russell Greyhound.

Not what I expected at all dog looks more than capable and certainly not too small if you could get a hard pne that dont yap bbet they'd be something decent

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Not what I expected at all dog looks more than capable and certainly not too small if you could get a hard pne that dont yap bbet they'd be something decent

Smart eh, I like em! I take on board what Stiffy et al say about them being sub par to a bull cross, which is a prevalent type so why try to find something rare. But only as a point and kill type. And even then I feel more uncomfortable with bull over terrier as the base simply because I don't like bulls. Out of all working breeds I find a working terrier the most likeable, temperament wise. I just don't trust bully things. I strongly suspect what attracts me to this breeding is not what most people want.

The terrier base appeals to me because I like a smaller dog, I like an earthdogs temperament, I like dogs that are tough, robust, hardy, gritty, take life in their stride types and easy going.

If they threw too heavy to lamp rabbits with and too ignorant and independent to work with, then yeah it'd be a mistake. Something like a 15" terrier from a line of biddable working terriers over a track bitch would be a real interesting breeding to me. Whether or not they had bottle would frankly be the least of my concerns. I'd almost take it as granted.

:good:

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 4
59 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Smart eh, I like em! I take on board what Stiffy et al say about them being sub par to a bull cross, which is a prevalent type so why try to find something rare. But only as a point and kill type. And even then I feel more uncomfortable with bull over terrier as the base simply because I don't like bulls. Out of all working breeds I find a working terrier the most likeable, temperament wise. I just don't trust bully things. I strongly suspect what attracts me to this breeding is not what most people want.

The terrier base appeals to me because I like a smaller dog, I like an earthdogs temperament, I like dogs that are tough, robust, hardy, gritty, take life in their stride types and easy going.

If they threw too heavy to lamp rabbits with and too ignorant and independent to work with, then yeah it'd be a mistake. Something like a 15" terrier from a line of biddable working terriers over a track bitch would be a real interesting breeding to me. Whether or not they had bottle would frankly be the least of my concerns. I'd almost take it as granted.

:good:

Funny you should say that I've a hard jagd here 15tts get hold of anything and a young coursing bred greyhound bitch who's started very well but it won't happen as that's not part of the plan 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Funny you should say that I've a hard jagd here 15tts get hold of anything and a young coursing bred greyhound bitch who's started very well but it won't happen as that's not part of the plan 

What's the plan stan