Eu Polecat, Ferrets

On 13/04/2018 at 14:08, Polecatman said:

Hi, how do you all do?

im after someone who breeds Eu polecat, but pures no hybrids, I’m willing to pay £150 a kit for a pure Eu polecat kit if proof is shown. 

Kind regards 

polecatman.

I've had a few ferrets that would pass as eu polecat, how would anyone prove they have a genuine eu polecat?

• Like 1
On 13/04/2018 at 14:08, Polecatman said:

Hi, how do you all do?

im after someone who breeds Eu polecat, but pures no hybrids, I’m willing to pay £150 a kit for a pure Eu polecat kit if proof is shown. 

Kind regards 

polecatman.

With veterinary proof showing there is no ferret bloodlines

I had a eu kit given to me two year ago, she was spiteful from the day I got her, I put her in with albino kits few weeks older and she bullied the lot, I kept her on her own for a few months hoping she would tame with good handling, food, housing but she bit 7 times out of 10, she would shake her tale side to side and back into closest pipe. Not my kind of ferret. 

On 4/14/2018 at 08:32, Polecatman said:

With veterinary proof showing there is no ferret bloodlines

I'm curious as to how you think a veterinarian can prove they're pure polecats since it's my understanding that even DNA testing can't differentiate between hybrids and polecats.  In the past 20 years or so I've seen literally hundreds of photos purporting to be UK polecats.  Only two of them looked like they might have been pure polecats and they were both taken in isolated areas of Wales. While a few might have been high content hybrids, the vast majority were clearly ferrets.

I think your chances of actually getting a pure polecat in the UK are slim to none, although I don't doubt you'll be offered quite a few when you're willing to pay a ridiculous price for it.  I can't help thinking of the truism "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Edited by ferret lady
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Jerry71 said:

I had a eu kit given to me two year ago, she was spiteful from the day I got her, I put her in with albino kits few weeks older and she bullied the lot, I kept her on her own for a few months hoping she would tame with good handling, food, housing but she bit 7 times out of 10, she would shake her tale side to side and back into closest pipe. Not my kind of ferret. 

I had a jill last year given to me by a mate that was the same. Totally unpredictable, she would be fine for a couple of weeks then bite me for no apparent reason, and when I say bite I mean it, she went down to the bone.

I always thought I could tame any ferret but after 6 months of it I'd had enough and I ended up having her put down this year.