A happy Chappy

Recently I was contacted on one of my social media pages, by a younger guy, now known as Jonesy, who asked if he could tag along and pick up a few tips about ferreting so he could start to take his kids out to enjoy the sport.

He explained he knew very little about ferreting and had recently bought a few young ferrets, amongst them was a very nice silver Buck, he said was very aggressive

I said no problem, bring the buck over and I will work with it for awhile and see if I can tame him down a bit. Well he wasn’t wrong he was as savage as I have seen, bit right through my leather gloves and still drew blood, better leave him here a few days I said, lol.

He is a beautiful type, and seems very intelligent, so should be able to fix him up with a bit of handling, after putting his biting buck into one of the cages, we packed some gear and headed off to a local spot just up the road, we only did the one burrow because it was already pretty hot we bolted two, one ran out of an unseen hole on the other side of the fence, the second slipped the net and the dogs made a good catch, I also showed him a few other places he could get a few.

We packed up, and came home, I gave him an old ferret carry box and some old nets, he was a happy man as he went on his way.

I will work with his buck over the coming days, he is very nice.

I did video our outing, and will post later the photo is of the savage Buck

P1000907.JPG

P1000910.JPG

• Like 3

I've been meaning to ask for a while now, does Australia still hold the huge numbers of rabbits it did years ago?

The bags you have seem similar to what we get over here but I remember seeing photos of a fence with green pastures one side and a sea of rabbits on the other in a desert and I've often wondered how many you would have in a day if you ferreted them.

2 hours ago, tsteve9999 said:

I've been meaning to ask for a while now, does Australia still hold the huge numbers of rabbits it did years ago?

The bags you have seem similar to what we get over here but I remember seeing photos of a fence with green pastures one side and a sea of rabbits on the other in a desert and I've often wondered how many you would have in a day if you ferreted them.

Some years and areas have more than others, but it will never get back to how it was pre mixi that’s for sure, a lot more people now , and we are building over their habitat more and more this is a huge country and in some places they still do reach plague proportions, a couple of places I still go you can still take 100+ in a night with a gun and the dogs, usually just before summer when the numbers are biggest and most kits are at least ¾ grown, as for ferreting I average about 50 a week over the year which isn't big numbers at all considering how many hours I put in, but I'm happy with what I do, and my head is above water so it's all good. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Some years and areas have more than others, but it will never get back to how it was pre mixi that’s for sure, a lot more people now , and we are building over their habitat more and more this is a huge country and in some places they still do reach plague proportions, a couple of places I still go you can still take 100+ in a night with a gun and the dogs, usually just before summer when the numbers are biggest and most kits are at least ¾ grown, as for ferreting I average about 50 a week over the year which isn't big numbers at all considering how many hours I put in, but I'm happy with what I do, and my head is above water so it's all good. 

2500 rabbits a year?! That' some going. You should change your user name to 'the new mixi' !!!

19 minutes ago, Sirblessed said:

I do this for a living mate, some people shoot that many in a month over here, Its big country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3MX78af8Vo&t=317s

Fair play mate. I keep ferrets all year and probably get out a hand full of times come winter for fun. I enjoy it when I do get out and my little girl loves em as pets so I just make sure they are well handled. If I bag a few bunnies when we get out it' a bonus. What wasn't a bonus was the 3ft dig through hard-core, stone, half bricks, shingle and all sorts me and a pal of here had last time out with my jill......for nothing! Not sure who needs more training and practice her or me!

6 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

As long as you enjoy it thats the main thing, I love what I do, have always kept ferrets, and been an active hunter since I was a kid, I'm still learning too.

Spot on. I can't think of much better fun than seeing your dogs ears prick up and him stare at a hole, knowing full well a rabbits going to come flying out any minute.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, tsteve9999 said:

Spot on. I can't think of much better fun than seeing your dogs ears prick up and him stare at a hole, knowing full well a rabbits going to come flying out any minute.

Never had my own ferrying dog but go out with a lad off here and love watching the dogs when the ferrets are down. They know so much more of what is going on, you can almost see what's going on through their body's and stance etc. His bitch literally quivers she is that ready to go!