Took it out last night for a trial run, bit strange looking through a screen, I had the screen brightness on low and altering the IR brightness as I looked around, I didnt want to buy the wolf an Xtra £200 when I can use a t20 for Xtra distance for a quarter the price, still found it hard getting within range of the little blighters tho, but I did found out last night that there are another two or three lads that go on there aswell, guessing that's why their a bugger to get close too.... But enjoyed it tho but as you,s mentioned maybe a optional IR torch.... 

1 hour ago, Phill-W68 said:

Took it out last night for a trial run, bit strange looking through a screen, I had the screen brightness on low and altering the IR brightness as I looked around, I didnt want to buy the wolf an Xtra £200 when I can use a t20 for Xtra distance for a quarter the price, still found it hard getting within range of the little blighters tho, but I did found out last night that there are another two or three lads that go on there aswell, guessing that's why their a bugger to get close too.... But enjoyed it tho but as you,s mentioned maybe a optional IR torch.... 

I prefer the screen type kit because putting my eye to an NV scop makes me feel dizzy.

Turning the screen down is a good idea but, when you're out in the dark, it can still light up a white face. I use either a black wooly hat or baseball cap pulled down low and, some scrim pulled up over my nose.

Also, the rabbits can get used to the red glow from the IR, especially when it's pointed directly at them. Try keeping them right on the edge of the screen while you stalk in.

An extra IR torch, something like a T20, is excellent for extending the spotting range on a Viper :thumbs:

6 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

I prefer the screen type kit because putting my eye to an NV scop makes me feel dizzy.

Turning the screen down is a good idea but, when you're out in the dark, it can still light up a white face. I use either a black wooly hat or baseball cap pulled down low and, some scrim pulled up over my nose.

Also, the rabbits can get used to the red glow from the IR, especially when it's pointed directly at them. Try keeping them right on the edge of the screen while you stalk in.

An extra IR torch, something like a T20, is excellent for extending the spotting range on a Viper :thumbs:

I had a hat on and a scrim over my nose because the wife said my face lit up when I turned it on, because I've tried lamping with a red torch which scared the rabbits off I went for the dark ops viper and there is very little glow tbh, but a strong torch will no doubt give off more glow.... 

Edited by Phill-W68

Ah, the Dark Op's Viper then Phill, you are the first person I know to get one so I will be very interested to see what sort of distance it will reach and not just eye shine. I know the 850 nanometer has always had a better beam than the 940 nanometer light source so I will be most interested to hear how you go on with it matey.

Phil 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

Ah, the Dark Op's Viper then Phill, you are the first person I know to get one so I will be very interested to see what sort of distance it will reach and not just eye shine. I know the 850 nanometer has always had a better beam than the 940 nanometer light source so I will be most interested to hear how you go on with it matey.

Phil 

Will keep you posted mate.... 

• Thanks 1

Now their is a point Phil because 850nan is what is known as 'visible red' whereas 940nan is very very low visible end of the red spectrum. You would have to test it to see if the camera works with a standard 850nan light, I have a feeling whilst both are infra red, the wavelength may not allow a good image or even it blowing the image all together.

I would make a quick phone call to Nitesite, I have found them to be very helpful on queries I have put to them.

Perhaps a post on the 'Night vision forum' could be a good move or ask IanB on the 'Optics section of sporting guns.

Phil

• Like 1