Views on getting a pup on summer bunnys

11 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Feck waiting..!!! 

At 10 months old, its over this summer your gonna tune a youngster in on green rabbits....

Seasons are for everyone with a 'made' dog.

Dont waste the summer, seize it....!!! :thumbs:

To right get in ta the  mixi areas ,no closed fa lots on here anyway pesters .atb bill

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be patient mate good things will come no harm in waiting till next season starts for some green rabbits just think of the worst that can happen with terrier blood in there An being a young dog....yapp

Can't see the odd outing with just a couple of runs doing any harm.  As long as the ground aint like concrete.  And taking him out on his own is an advantage, trust me. Is he brindle?

By the time he's old enough the grass will be high, the ground hard and it'll be too hot. Get him out mooching over the early summer mornings and leave the lamping til next season. That's what I'd do

If feeling uneasy about killing milky does and young in the summer the best thing to do is write down each rabbit you get and for each 1 killed add 30 seconds to the time you spend flailing usen wi nettles , sounds wierd but it works

6 hours ago, Black neck said:

If feeling uneasy about killing milky does and young in the summer the best thing to do is write down each rabbit you get and for each 1 killed add 30 seconds to the time you spend flailing usen wi nettles , sounds wierd but it works

:icon_eek: .......................... :rofl:.

Could he not take a brindle scythe with him to cut down said nettles? :)

Edited by shaaark

a dog learns little in a kennel. get it out in the early morning and work on recall when it misses its quarry, pays dividends when it misses on the lamp.And then retrieve when he catches.  By the season you will both be in a better place, mentally, physically and as a partnership.

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Gilbey said:

just wait for the season personally

20 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

he "could" be in a worse place mentally if he's seen too many summer rabbits disappear into cover and down holes in front of his nose

Personally I'd also wait til the end of september.  Pup will be about 16 -17 months old, everything should by then be ticking along nicely.  And even though we are on a site with many nuggets on, that don't give a f**k about weather conditions, hard ground, dog being unfit, too young, untrained or all three, perhaps he's one of the ones that isn't as nobjerkingly stupid as aforementioned members of the site, and will try his pup in good conditions which are conducive to having a positive result.  Let's hope so eh? :thumbs:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, poxon said:

Be patient mate good things will come no harm in waiting till next season starts for some green rabbits just think of the worst that can happen with terrier blood in there An being a young dog....yapping,hunting up after a run,loss of recall,no retrieve, damage to the young dog .better to wait it out till the dog levels out being a bigger type dog an matures fully......I know your pain An keenness as I’ve the same thing but will not give in to temptation till the crops are down the minute there down it’s a green light to get on

Sound advice poxon!

• Like 1

I was more thinking toward the end months just to give me and dog a small head start mid to late August time really depending on weather and ground. But if it is a no go ie to warm nights or rock hard ground then I would just wait as what's a couple of months extra after waiting 15 16 months anyway 

• Like 3
Just now, Lance82 said:

End of september beginning of october is when i normally go again

Personally i would just wait til season starts again and maybe try walking out to a couple of squatters, try and get right on top of them and make sure dog has seen it before u slip

1 hour ago, Saltmoon said:

I was more thinking toward the end months just to give me and dog a small head start mid to late August time really depending on weather and ground. But if it is a no go ie to warm nights or rock hard ground then I would just wait as what's a couple of months extra after waiting 15 16 months anyway 

Youve waited this long up to now, surely another month or 2  wont be bad