Views on getting a pup on summer bunnys

Right I know this will probably kick up a stink but I've a pup 10month old now and want him knowing what his job is before next season so I am planning on taking him out a few times during the summer months so come next season he's not totally green. I'm not talking 3-4 times a week maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks. What have you lads done when you've had pups that could start doing a bit in the summer? Do you just wait and enter the season with a green dog or do a bit with them in the summer? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be patient mate good things will come no harm in waiting till next season starts for some green rabbits just think of the worst that can happen with terrier blood in there An being a young dog....yapp

Can't see the odd outing with just a couple of runs doing any harm.  As long as the ground aint like concrete.  And taking him out on his own is an advantage, trust me. Is he brindle?

By the time he's old enough the grass will be high, the ground hard and it'll be too hot. Get him out mooching over the early summer mornings and leave the lamping til next season. That's what I'd do

Can't see the odd outing with just a couple of runs doing any harm.  As long as the ground aint like concrete.  And taking him out on his own is an advantage, trust me.

Is he brindle? :)

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3

Stopped raining this afternoon round plymouth area. I don't want to take him out just yet he's only just gone 10month so I'll wait till he's 1 before giving him a couple of runs but that will be June so summer 

• Like 1

By the time he's old enough the grass will be high, the ground hard and it'll be too hot. Get him out mooching over the early summer mornings and leave the lamping til next season. That's what I'd do anyway but your dog so your call

• Like 3

He will be my first running dog pup I got my old bullx at 18months so got right on with it with him and made mistakes and I'm sure I will with this one just want to give him the best start I can early mornings would be a good idea 

48 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

He will be my first running dog pup I got my old bullx at 18months so got right on with it with him and made mistakes and I'm sure I will with this one just want to give him the best start I can early mornings would be a good idea 

If you tek him in June your be running on concrete or standing crops if you think he's ready tek him now why the grounds soft and plenty daft buck rabbits about

Or wait end o the day it's up to you

Be patient mate good things will come no harm in waiting till next season starts for some green rabbits just think of the worst that can happen with terrier blood in there An being a young dog....yapping,hunting up after a run,loss of recall,no retrieve, damage to the young dog .better to wait it out till the dog levels out being a bigger type dog an matures fully......I know your pain An keenness as I’ve the same thing but will not give in to temptation till the crops are down the minute there down it’s a green light to get on

• Like 4

I started my bitch lamping rabbits at 10 months old only about 3-5 runs twice a week and never did her no harm I would think during the summer rabbits will be easier to catch as they can't run as fast in long grass and some will be pregnant 

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Right I know this will probably kick up a stink but I've a pup 10month old now and want him knowing what his job is before next season so I am planning on taking him out a few times during the summer months so come next season he's not totally green. I'm not talking 3-4 times a week maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks. What have you lads done when you've had pups that could start doing a bit in the summer? Do you just wait and enter the season with a green dog or do a bit with them in the summer? 

If the rabbits are thin on the ground then you're probably  best waiting 'til the end of summer and hopefully some autumn rain and plenty of young green rabbits about but if you can find anywhere with a good population and runnable ground then I myself would go for it now. It's all commonsense really. You need to use your judgement. If the dog's ready, the ground is good, and you aren't going to dent the population then go for it. If there's any doubt then leave it 'til late autumn.

• Like 2

Feck waiting..!!! 

At 10 months old, its over this summer your gonna tune a youngster in on green rabbits....

Seasons are for everyone with a 'made' dog.

Dont waste the summer, seize it....!!! :thumbs: