Winchester sub's .22

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWS are worth a try, I find the accurate and consistent. A little slower than some, but also quieter than most subs.

Iv'e been using Winnie subs for 12 years and never had a problem.

I’m on s&b’s atm, not bad, but not the best for me. Got about 25 left then I’m off to get some more rws I reckon.

I went over to Forest Lodge Guns with my shooting buddy to have a chat about .17her (the next possible move) so we picked up both Eley and RWS subs to test in our rifles next week so fingers crossed.

Phil

• Like 1

Nice shop, I’ve called in many times. Packed with stock. Will be interesting to find out how you get on. Are the Eleys 40grain green box or the new 38grain bullets? Regarding hmr, consider .22 hornet. PPU hornet ammo is hardly any more expensive than hmr and you can use the cases again to reload. As a result, my hmr doesn’t get much use now as the hornet does most of what the hmr does and does it better. Hmr is still preferable in a few situations though, but not many for me.

• Thanks 1

The Eley's are 38gr, the latest ones. I must say that the Eley boxes are not very good though so if they become the chosen shell for either of us, we will have to buy some ammo boxes.

The main reason for the 17hmr is just for long range rabbits etc and as we can't shoot foxes on our largest permission due to the owners are hunters (horse and hounds) is it not really much point in going for a fox gun. Talking to the guys at Forest Lodge, they sort of said for rabbits were the best bet on longer range but open to other ideas chaps.

Phil

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philpot said:

The Eley's are 38gr, the latest ones. I must say that the Eley boxes are not very good though so if they become the chosen shell for either of us, we will have to buy some ammo boxes.

The main reason for the 17hmr is just for long range rabbits etc and as we can't shoot foxes on our largest permission due to the owners are hunters (horse and hounds) is it not really much point in going for a fox gun. Talking to the guys at Forest Lodge, they sort of said for rabbits were the best bet on longer range but open to other ideas chaps.

Phil

You’re right about the shit eley boxes. CCI boxes are so much better. Also, it’s true that the hmr is bad news for the rabbits. It’s just that, if you reload, the hornet is better, and can be at least as cheap to run. They both cause a lot of damage on body shots if you intend to eat what you shoot though. .22 hornet will absolutely mash them with body shots.

The CCI shells seem to be a real marmite product from what I can tell although a couple of guys were telling me that when they used HV ammo in their rimfires, CCI were the best of the bunch but I believe that was a few years ago.

Do many people use HV instead of subs as a halfway house to either HMR or Hornet etc.

Phil 

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

You’re right about the shit eley boxes. CCI boxes are so much better. Also, it’s true that the hmr is bad news for the rabbits. It’s just that, if you reload, the hornet is better, and can be at least as cheap to run. They both cause a lot of damage on body shots if you intend to eat what you shoot though. .22 hornet will absolutely mash them with body shots.

.17 hmr makes rabbit shooting to easy,I generally use mine for out and out they gotta go.much more enjoyable with .22 rimy imo.

Loving the cci.s subs at the minute the seg/subs are doing mighty fine and whisper quiet and unlike winnies had  none go zing/crack on me .The worst round ive tried so far has been cci Blaser like fitting a sprinkler to the barrel .Theyre about as consistant as an M.P,s opinion.And the waxy coat on the Eleys is an annoyance that requires a clean before use atb 

18 hours ago, philpot said:

The CCI shells seem to be a real marmite product from what I can tell although a couple of guys were telling me that when they used HV ammo in their rimfires, CCI were the best of the bunch but I believe that was a few years ago.

Do many people use HV instead of subs as a halfway house to either HMR or Hornet etc.

Phil 

Yes, I’m using mini mags at the moment but rws high velocity hollow point are my preference.

42 minutes ago, philpot said:

What sort of range are you shooting using the RWS HV at on average.

I often take some with me, as well as subs. I have an embankment riddled with rabbit burrows that’s80 to 100 yards from cover depending on which part of the embankment. If I shoot the embankment if mostly use the hv’s when I’m out with the .22. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I popped into my RFD today armed with my Anschutz .22 rimmy and a small selection of ammo. The range is only 25mt but it will do for a first test on the ammo which was Winchester subs 42gr, Eley subs 38gr and RWS subs 40gr.

The RWS were clear winners with Eley close behind and let me put it this way ......................................... I will not be buying any more Winchester subs !!!!!!!

I have to say that I have not tried the Winchester 40gr but to be very honest, the results gained with RWS today are excellent so now we need to test them at the 50mt that I use as zero distance and draw final conclusions then. If the RWS still prove to be the best ammo on test, then out on the bunnies.

Phil

• Like 1
14 hours ago, philpot said:

I popped into my RFD today armed with my Anschutz .22 rimmy and a small selection of ammo. The range is only 25mt but it will do for a first test on the ammo which was Winchester subs 42gr, Eley subs 38gr and RWS subs 40gr.

The RWS were clear winners with Eley close behind and let me put it this way ......................................... I will not be buying any more Winchester subs !!!!!!!

I have to say that I have not tried the Winchester 40gr but to be very honest, the results gained with RWS today are excellent so now we need to test them at the 50mt that I use as zero distance and draw final conclusions then. If the RWS still prove to be the best ammo on test, then out on the bunnies.

Phil

RWS are superb in my Anschutz 1417?

• Like 1

Well:

I've tried most brands over the years (37) in 5 different rifles.

Anyway in 2018, Win subs previously my choice, new stuff is degraded??

RWS are still OK

The best (i.e. most accurate) are GECO 42gr solids, why?? Not good for live quarry & ricochet for England (Oh dear).

So at this time I have some old Win Subs in reserve.

AndyF