Trail Cam Found in my Shoot - Help

So I was out this morning in a forestry stalking for Roe (buck), it's literally miles away from civilisation. Right in the heart of the wood, I came upon a Trail cam (not mine!) in a ride I'd cut last year. I opened it up and had a look and there was a few pics on it. No one else shoots in this area.

I was tempted to take it down, but unsure of the law on this, does anyone have any idea what the legal implications are? Was thinking of calling BASC later this week and see if they could advise.

Any advice would be great.

Get yourself a Bigfoot costume and trigger the camera mess with them a bit

i found one on my pheasant shoot a couple of years back I put a little note in the back of it letting them know I was aware of it, who I was and my phone number, turns out he was a wildlife photographer looking for a good spot for roe, turned out to be a lovely chap and since then has been up and photographed a shoot day and I can normally point him in the right direction for what he is looking for 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most of my cameras are on other peoples land, sorry if that offends, I don't steal I keep gates shut pick up other people's litter and have even saved a few sheep that have been stuck, I saved a sheep last year that was in trouble giving birth to triplets, I walked about 3miles to find the owner and when he arrived he told me if he sees me again he,s going to shoot me, proper old farmer, have also caught a burglar and a bloke cutting fences so he could go scrambling, so we are not all bad and as stavros has found can be useful, leave a note inside and ask him to ring you, if you just take it there is an offence of stealing by finding and he may have another one watching you ? 

• Like 3

9 times out of 10 if it’s working forestry it will have public access and anyone using a trail camera is not normally up to no good, the scumbags up here are looking for an opportunity, flying across fields in knackered old 4x4’s flinging dogs out to drag a deer down or coursing a hare in a tracksuit and rigger boots, not setting up camera traps, put a note in, it could be the start of a beautiful friendship 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Think my point is,  I pay a lot of money for stalking in this private wood, (it's not FC), & the last thing I want is folk wandering over it to install cameras when I'm out stalking. Not only is it dangerous, it's downright ignorant to assume you can set up a camera in private property. Imagine it was your garden....

Anyway, back to my original question regarding the law on this.....

• Like 1

If it’s private property it’s just basic trespassing, you would have to catch them on the land and if you did you could not ask them to leave that would be down to the land owner, trespass is a civil matter not a criminal one

11 minutes ago, ollieollie said:

If it bothers you that much take the camera, leave a note arranging to return it to them which gives you the opportunity to interrogate them when you meet them 

This would be the best way to get to speak with them, I presume you have spoken to the land owner about this and made them aware of your findings, what do they have to say about it? Although this is a problem for your good self it’s up to the land owner to do something about it, could it be possible that they don’t know it’s private land? Speaking from experience when you find someone where they should not be explaining to them why is normally enough, it’s not like finding a chav in your garden at 2am that may require a bit more than a few words to point them in the right direction ?

11 minutes ago, ollieollie said:

18 hours ago, Lamp_Shy said:

Think my point is,  I pay a lot of money for stalking in this private wood, (it's not FC), & the last thing I want is folk wandering over it to install cameras when I'm out stalking. Not only is it dangerous, it's downright ignorant to assume you can set up a camera in private property. Imagine it was your garden....

Anyway, back to my original question regarding the law on this.....

I do understand your concern about people on your patch, but sadly I am an Englishman and I consider it my birth right to wander were  I want in my own country and I will never stop, I,ve been poaching most of my life and now I only poach pictures so I can't  even be arrested and charged with anything so I am basically your worse nightmare, I am good friends and do odd jobs and help out many of the people who,s land I use and those that don't want me there I just ignore and carry on, so to answer your original  question the law won't be able to help you unless you  take out a private lawsuit, which will end up costing you a lot of money I would think, so as already said several times try and make contact by either leaving a note inside the camera or take the camera and leave your contact details in its place, those really are your only legal options, I also consider it collateral damage to loose a couple of cameras every year so even stealing it might not help, good luck and sorry if I offend you but I,m trying to give you an honest perspective from the camera trappers side of the fence, there are many more people in our group that would never step across a gate without written consent so I am probably the minority but certainly not the only one with my views in the world, ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Stavross said:

This would be the best way to get to speak with them, I presume you have spoken to the land owner about this and made them aware of your findings, what do they have to say about it? Although this is a problem for your good self it’s up to the land owner to do something about it, could it be possible that they don’t know it’s private land? Speaking from experience when you find someone where they should not be explaining to them why is normally enough, it’s not like finding a chav in your garden at 2am that may require a bit more than a few words to point them in the right direction ?

Probably turn out to be the forestry commission doing a deer survey or something simular, but he,s proper fuming, most people that catch me, once they realise I,m not a threat are much more interested in the footage I,ve gathered and some even carry on changing battery,s and sd cards for me,

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I do understand your concern about people on your patch, but sadly I am an Englishman and I consider it my birth right to wander were  I want in my own country and I will never stop, I,ve been poaching most of my life and now I only poach pictures so I can't  even be arrested and charged with anything so I am basically your worse nightmare, I am good friends and do odd jobs and help out many of the people who,s land I use and those that don't want me there I just ignore and carry on, so to answer your original  question the law won't be able to help you unless you  take out a private lawsuit, which will end up costing you a lot of money I would think, so as already said several times try and make contact by either leaving a note inside the camera or take the camera and leave your contact details in its place, those really are your only legal options, I also consider it collateral damage to loose a couple of cameras every year so even stealing it might not help, good luck and sorry if I offend you but I,m trying to give you an honest perspective from the camera trappers side of the fence, there are many more people in our group that would never step across a gate without written consent so I am probably the minority but certainly not the only one with my views in the world, ?

Sorry, but "I've been poaching all my life .....  And ...   I'm you're worst nightmare" doesn't help your, or anyone elses case. In fact it's a decision maker for me I'm afraid.

The landowner wants it disposed of as no  permission has been given or requested. He also doesn't want to set a president by ignoring it. Suits me as I don't want folk tramping about the shoot , which I pay a load of cash for, when I'm shooting. 

I'll take it down & leave a note & see who claims it. If it's legit, no doubt someone will email me, if it's poaching, then it's gone for good.

Landowner wanted it trashed, but I'm a bit more reasonable.

Anyway, back to my OP regarding the law.....

Anyone?

Like I said it’s a trespass so it’s not a criminal matter, the best way to sort it is to get in contact with them I’m sure you will find they are very reasonable about it when you explain your safety fears to them, the other route is for the land owner to take them to court ( if you can find out who they are ) to get a injunction to stop them coming on the land, sadly this will be at considerable cost to him, I know it’s a bit different to your land but I have signs up on some of mine informing people what is happening and pointing away from any possible danger, yours could simply say PRIVATE PROPERTY SO BUGGER OFF if after they have been spoken to they continue to come on the land this could be considered criminal trespass but this is very hard to prove as criminal trespass is normally only used for buildings and property