Trail Cam Found in my Shoot - Help

3 hours ago, Lamp_Shy said:

Sorry, but "I've been poaching all my life .....  And ...   I'm you're worst nightmare" doesn't help your, or anyone elses case. In fact it's a decision maker for me I'm afraid.

The landowner wants it disposed of as no  permission has been given or requested. He also doesn't want to set a president by ignoring it. Suits me as I don't want folk tramping about the shoot , which I pay a load of cash for, when I'm shooting. 

I'll take it down & leave a note & see who claims it. If it's legit, no doubt someone will email me, if it's poaching, then it's gone for good.

Landowner wanted it trashed, but I'm a bit more reasonable.

Anyway, back to my OP regarding the law.....

Anyone?

I,m not trying to help my case as I don't have a case that needs helping, I was trying to help your case and give you a view from the other side, but goodluck with it however it turns out ( oh and my poaching days are a long way behind me so don't hate me to much ) 

• Like 1
On 08/04/2018 at 10:14, Lamp_Shy said:

So I was out this morning in a forestry stalking for Roe (buck), it's literally miles away from civilisation. Right in the heart of the wood, I came upon a Trail cam (not mine!) in a ride I'd cut last year. I opened it up and had a look and there was a few pics on it. No one else shoots in this area.

I was tempted to take it down, but unsure of the law on this, does anyone have any idea what the legal implications are? Was thinking of calling BASC later this week and see if they could advise.

Any advice would be great.

As the finder of an item on private land you have a right to remove it but must keep it safe and take reasonable steps to return it to the owner. Reasonable steps would probably be the leaving of a contact note (as you have done) and informing the police that you have some "lost property".

Informing the police of the circumstances covers you against any insinuation of theft and also gives you the chance of being allowed to keep or dispose of the property if it is not claimed in a certain time. I think it's a month for small items. The actual owner of the land has a precident for claiming ownership over your claim as you were effectively acting on his instructions .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, comanche said:

As the finder of an item on private land you have a right to remove it but must keep it safe and take reasonable steps to return it to the owner. Reasonable steps would probably be the leaving of a contact note (as you have done) and informing the police that you have some "lost property".

Informing the police of the circumstances covers you against any insinuation of theft and also gives you the chance of being allowed to keep or dispose of the property if it is not claimed in a certain time. I think it's a month for small items. The actual owner of the land has a precident for claiming ownership over your claim as you were effectively acting on his instructions .

Excellent advice! Many thanks.

check with the landowner to see if anyone else has access to that land

pull the card/ batteries and leave him a note to contact you if the landowner says no one else has permission.

stick another cam up from his,so you get a pic of the fckr just in case he doesnt contact you.

but i would defo check with the landowner first,you just never know.

you might have the stalking rights but does someone have the vermin rights.

i have encountered this were i was vermin controlling on land i had permission but i didnt know

the land owner didnt have the game rights,this becomes an issue when you meet a fellow with a rifle stalking deer.

19 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

check with the landowner to see if anyone else has access to that land

pull the card/ batteries and leave him a note to contact you if the landowner says no one else has permission.

stick another cam up from his,so you get a pic of the fckr just in case he doesnt contact you.

but i would defo check with the landowner first,you just never know.

you might have the stalking rights but does someone have the vermin rights.

i have encountered this were i was vermin controlling on land i had permission but i didnt know

the land owner didnt have the game rights,this becomes an issue when you meet a fellow with a rifle stalking deer.

at last lol,,,that was the 1st thing that entered my head,,,stick your own camera on a tree facing his,,then you get to see who is about ,,,

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Before you destroy the thing ,plug it into a card reader and note the GPS settings that are present on all digital pics.You may need software for thus .It will show you where else the camera has been and the timer will give you durations .The antis will be setting them here  soon to watch badger culling and I consider it an insult if a don't find 3 or 4 .Any nv scope will pic up the infrared beam from them at night .Bit of a giggle to relocate them .Might of done a few of yours greyman lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26 August 2018 at 19:14, foxdropper said:

Before you destroy the thing ,plug it into a card reader and note the GPS settings that are present on all digital pics.You may need software for thus .It will show you where else the camera has been and the timer will give you durations .The antis will be setting them here  soon to watch badger culling and I consider it an insult if a don't find 3 or 4 .Any nv scope will pic up the infrared beam from them at night .Bit of a giggle to relocate them .Might of done a few of yours greyman lol.

All present and accounted for, have just been up to lyneham last week to get the last ones off your shoot, ?

• Like 1