Foxes hit hard??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another from yesterday. seem to be hanging on to there winter coat longer this year  

The digging/lamping   seasons just starting for some folks.... Sad but true.... What ever happened to giving stuff a few months peace? Guns, roads, young doglads and the weather will have a massive im

there are a few around me. this fox apears this time of year. third year running.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

I'm in the midlands I don't think the fox numbers have ever really changed always been plenty about except for the urban foxes their population is exploding,but 10 mile radius is nothing fox travel further than that in a night when the pheasant men get bored of their hobby fox numbers will replenish in no time at all anyway they wont kill every fox either should be loads for the dogs in that area.

But in that 10 mile radius there is maybe 10 or 15 small syndicates all with lads hammering them with rifles. Was talking to a lad last year that used to do a bit with terriers then moved on to shooting with a gun pack and he was complaining about the lack of foxes, he said previous seasons they were shooting 15 or 20 a weekend and that season they were lucky to shoot 4 or 5 and he couldn’t figure out what was happening, was he not a stupid Cnut.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

But in that 10 mile radius there is maybe 10 or 15 small syndicates all with lads hammering them with rifles. Was talking to a lad last year that used to do a bit with terriers then moved on to shooting with a gun pack and he was complaining about the lack of foxes, he said previous seasons they were shooting 15 or 20 a weekend and that season they were lucky to shoot 4 or 5 and he couldn’t figure out what was happening, was he not a stupid Cnut.

Sent him up this way? sounds like hes doin a good job.

On 08/04/2018 at 11:02, Daniel cain said:

The digging/lamping   seasons just starting for some folks.... Sad but true.... What ever happened to giving stuff a few months peace? Guns, roads, young doglads and the weather will have a massive impact on next seasons numbers imo. Some just won't be told though as they know best. Next few months should be out stockbreaking and exercising your dogs, ratting along the Brooks etc, not f***ing next seasons sport up and your dogs in the heat. Always interesting listening to folks excuses as to why they they can't keep a dog from one season to the next lol. Being a responsible dog man is a year round job..... You dont monk them off  in February because your too lazy to feed , walk and pick up their shit..... Plenty won't see the outside of a kennel till next September time/or be passed from kennel to kennel, then wrote off  by October. Atb

That’s because most of them don’t know the word breeding season as it is called that for a reason but like you say they know better.

Those moaning are probably the very same lads that dont' really get out and look in the worst of weather's when chances are Charlie is to ground  .Fox numbers havnt really changed here despite every man's hand being against them . Some seem to think thermal is some magical devise for heat seeking foxes at stupid ranges .The cute fox still needs to be stalked, downwind and silently, a skill lost on most youngsters and never learnt by some .All thermal does is let the hunter remain unnoticed  and is not a replacement for field craft despite what some may think or have been told .Food sources are far more likely to effect numbers than any form of control ever will .Without the food source ,numbers can' t be killed and there is always another to replace one shot out of the breeding season .Would be an eye opener for those lads moaning to buy thermal and get out and see exactly whats about ,you' be surprised. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Those moaning are probably the very same lads that dont' really get out and look in the worst of weather's when chances are Charlie is to ground  .Fox numbers havnt really changed here despite every man's hand being against them . Some seem to think thermal is some magical devise for heat seeking foxes at stupid ranges .The cute fox still needs to be stalked, downwind and silently, a skill lost on most youngsters and never learnt by some .All thermal does is let the hunter remain unnoticed  and is not a replacement for field craft despite what some may think or have been told .Food sources are far more likely to effect numbers than any form of control ever will .Without the food source ,numbers can' t be killed and there is always another to replace one shot out of the breeding season .Would be an eye opener for those lads moaning to buy thermal and get out and see exactly whats about ,you' be surprised. 

Well said, I've seen some stuff that opened my eyes since having thermal, it's another tool in the box but it certainly isn't a magic wand.

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

100 percent..I have dug six foxes 4 dogs and 2 vixens 1 dig was a pair and the rest singles off the 1 farm between 4 fields all within 2 weeks and theres a few other men and a gun club on the same ground the reason..fieldcraft and checking the place in days so bad you wouldnt put a rumour out in it and thats the days I dug them..also when walking the ground reading the signs and being able to know when and where on the farm to check..also having the proper working dogs.. I lost count this season I have went to spots and 3and 4 pits at handy puppy spots only 2and 3 foot deep.. I live in a place where there is a lot of people who hunt and I mean a lot...I have still have 38 foxes out of holes but it took a lot of walking this year but needs are must.thats not including the days with the hounds or lamping with lurcher...also some of the younger men around here at it havent got a fcukin clue there dogs are shite and they haven't got one bit of permission and there leaving good holes that are being regularly dug over 30 years a mess how do they expect a fox to take a burrow if its leaking and letting in wind....  young lazy cnuts who couldn't bury a goldfish and wont even be in terriers in 5 years time never mind 20.. its as simple as this..to be putting muck regularly on the bank you need a lot of permission and a lot of burrows to go at..then you need the proper men & dogs to dig them.

Edited by stop.end
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
On 08/04/2018 at 19:20, Rabid said:

That's the biggest load of bollox yet, you try walking out to your pens in the morning and seeing 63 dead birds cos a fox got in and took one or two, but killed the whole pen and left them lying there.

ive always said, if a fox got in, killed one or two and ate them because it was hungry, that's just part of the food chain and I would live with it, but they simply don't, they kill for fun and will wipe them out, so I feel the same about foxes

No offence intended but I couldn't pass over commenting on the irony of your comment "they kill for fun" on a hunting forum! So it's alright for us but not for them?

I'm not saying you shouldn't control them or be pissed off at seeing the carnage but they are making hay when the sun shines!

Nothing wrong at any time of year with foxes genuinely being controlled where it needs to be done- the maddening thing is the amount that only get out this time of year when its fairly easy to come across vixens and cubs to ground. P1010240.thumb.JPG.9571cd5d51d7c3923d43ca705e764695.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Those moaning are probably the very same lads that dont' really get out and look in the worst of weather's when chances are Charlie is to ground  .

I'm not sure about that, whenever I'm out in the snow or cold rain I think to myself I should do this from May to August.:hmm::D

• Haha 1
On 08/04/2018 at 21:07, Rabid said:

It really is sickening been greeted by that sight, I know plenty who have had it happen as well.

I know the reason behind it, I don't take it personally, but I am aware enough it's natural behaviour when a fox gets in to be like that, so my stance is, make it as difficult as I can for them to get in, and keep their numbers down.

like you I am also ruthless on fox control, I use thermal, night vision, camera traps, rifles, fox traps, but I don't personally use dogs, I need to do this, I have birds on my place all yr round, it's the farms main income.

I am between a rock and a hard place really, I have nature reserves on two opposite sides, the foxes live there without any persecution all yr round, they travel through my place every evening.

I also have a town on the third side, and have noticed a rise in urban foxes coming in, although I have no earths on my place, it's not unusual to see plenty out at night, leaning on one gate at night I counted 12 foxes in my fields with the thermal last yr, like I originally said, no shortage of them here

If you can get your hands on any fallen stock, pop a carcass in one of your fields, leave it there a couple of nights and on the third night stake it out from a good position and pop them off as they come in for the free scran ;)

• Like 1