Working at height

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck heights if I was suppose to be that high up I would have feathers 

Steel erecting and industrial roofing is our game, it ain't how it used to be though.. 18 and sitting with my ass clamped to a rafter 40ft up whilst a 60 year old Mancunian steps over you, noncha

Never mind ginger youtube likes chasers, here's the master .....  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I was out for dinner the other night,group of lads came in who my host knew,one of them was a british guy,very quiet and self contained,watched a video of him BASE jumping at night from the highest building in pattaya,he has also jumped off my mates microlight twice,the BASE jump looked incredible but scary at the same time,i used to get a horrible urge years ago when looking down from cliffs etc just to jump and fly,very scary as the impulse would suddenly appear in my head to run and leap :icon_eek:

10 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

I've been up and down roof ladders countless times and been on high scaffolding . Never worried to much or thought much about , never really been a fan but just got on and got up there . Today I was on a especially high roof and got up the roof ladder , ripped the broken slate out and passed it to my boss who went and cut one on the floor . While he was faffing around finding the cutter etc I was sitting on the roof ladder when all of a sudden my arse dropped . I started sweating , tingling and shitting myself. I told my boss im coming down but obviously he said "f***ing hell put the skate in first" . I waited for him to bring slate up and chucked it in . When I was waiting for him I was clutching on to the ladder for dear life , never been so freaked out . Calmed a bit when he brought slate up and I put it back in but I was like a sloth coming down . When I got to the bottom all I wanted to do was lie down.  Carried on thru the day but only went up the ladder and not the roof ladder . Even that was making me twitch . It completely ruined my day and f****d with my head.  Got another day patching slates tomorrow but on a lower roof so I'll see how I go . Anyone else had this before? Normally I just do it but some reason today I freaked big time , no excess wind / rain nothing to make it worse just bottled it for some reason 

You may have always had vertigo to some degree but, managed to keep a lid on it because you were busy - it sounds like you were left up there long enough to have a look around and start thinking about the 'what ifs'. Those sorts of thoughts can spiral quickly.

Also, I think, as we get older and have a family and responsibilities, our sense of self preservation becomes stronger. Maybe that was a factor.

As already said, a healthy level of fear at heights will keep you safe but, if you're genuinely shit scared, come back down.

Good luck mate - be safe :thumbs:

Personally, I've always liked being up high but, I do get a feckin silly compulsion to be near the edge.

...... on a few occasions I've put my toes off the edge and looked down. 

I've got no idea why I want to do it. I don't even like doing it. I just seem to end up doing it :fool:

• Like 1

Welsh tell your tight ass boss to pay for a scaffold, I fell off a roof a few years back smashed my foot up quite bad, got £47 a week off the social for me and the misses to live on, lost 3months work, and the person I was doing the job for deleted any trace I was working for them so I could not make a claim, now if there not willing to pay for a scaffold I won't go up any higher than the gutter, I,ve fallen several times but as time goes by I don't bounce as well as I did when I was young 

I have no problem with heights and have rebuilt my chimney ect. I used to work on / repair cranes. One day I was climbing a crane  mast and looked up. The clouds were moving past and it made it feel like the whole tower was falling over. I closed my eyes  and grabbed  the mast and held on white knuckled waiting for the impact with the ground. When everything stabilized. When I  realized that I was still up there. I managed to finish the job but I didn't feel safe for some time afterwards. The plant manager didnt have much sympathy. Back then you were expected to get on with things. I never looked up again.

Edited by Meece
10 hours ago, walshie said:

that had my calves twitching....wasnt so bad whilst he was inside the cage....but as soon as he climed outside my arse went for him....then everytime you think he got to the bit he was working on he had to go higher....then out on to that thin pole....:icon_eek:

• Like 2

I can't watch those sort of videos now. When I was young and doing pest control round farms I regularly had to inch along plank walkways high above grain silos with only one rickety hand rail to hold on to. The soles of my feet would tingle a bit, but nothing more. Now, my feet tingle even thinking about it. I guess its something that comes with age: you are more aware of your own mortality when you get old.

ive been in the building trade for about 30yr about 10 year ago my head just went on the scaffold, it slipped... ive been on rigs that have dropped n slipped before and 

It never bothered me it wasn't particularly high but i couldn't move just froze!

I still dont like working on them now but its not as bad once ive sussed in me head that its not gonna collapse :laugh:

my days of hanging off a ridge by a rope have long gone though!