Help getting started

13 hours ago, HannahBear1991 said:

Thanks everyone!

Skycat- I feed already complete raw meals so they have bone and ofa added to it as well as the meat :)

That's good, but what is a complete raw meal? Is everything all minced up together, bone and all? If this is the case, being super picky again, the dog is just swallowing mush all the time and doesn't get the physical and mental satisfaction of chewing on carcases, which also keep the teeth tartar free. Might be an idea to add a chicken carcase to the dog's daily feed.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, skycat said:

That's good, but what is a complete raw meal? Is everything all minced up together, bone and all? If this is the case, being super picky again, the dog is just swallowing mush all the time and doesn't get the physical and mental satisfaction of chewing on carcases, which also keep the teeth tartar free. Might be an idea to add a chicken carcase to the dog's daily feed.

Thanks for your input it's always appreciated :)

Yes it's minced together but he does get some 1 neck in there too but your right the carcass may be good to add too for him to chew. Are you talking about a whole chicken carcass or will any meat on bone be ok? 

Thank you 

You can buy stripped chicken carcases from pet food suppliers. These are carcases where the breast and legs are taken off for human consumption, so what's left is bone with shreds of meat. I get mine from my local butcher who buys boxes of these to sell to the restaurant trade for making soups and stocks, but with only one dog it probably wouldn't be practical for you to do this. If you have a traditional butcher near you it might be worth asking if you can buy carcases from them, but in smaller quantities. Lamb ribs are a great bone as well, but stay away from weight bearing bones from larger animals such as lamb, beef etc. Too much risk of breaking a tooth.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 09/04/2018 at 11:56, skycat said:

You can buy stripped chicken carcases from pet food suppliers. These are carcases where the breast and legs are taken off for human consumption, so what's left is bone with shreds of meat. I get mine from my local butcher who buys boxes of these to sell to the restaurant trade for making soups and stocks, but with only one dog it probably wouldn't be practical for you to do this. If you have a traditional butcher near you it might be worth asking if you can buy carcases from them, but in smaller quantities. Lamb ribs are a great bone as well, but stay away from weight bearing bones from larger animals such as lamb, beef etc. Too much risk of breaking a tooth.

Hey only just seen this :) I will definitely look into asking my local butcher. We have raw meat suppliers that do carcasses so I'll look there too ! Thanks 

1 minute ago, two crows said:

some wisdom spoken in them beer tents for them who listen.

Keep away from them beer tents 

Went in 1 once couldn't find me way out  I was right at home tho spouting bollox and telling outrageous lies , and I was very very drunk 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
21 hours ago, HannahBear1991 said:

Hey only just seen this :) I will definitely look into asking my local butcher. We have raw meat suppliers that do carcasses so I'll look there too ! Thanks 

I go to Polish shops for dog, ferret  food they supply carcass, gizzard, hearts, and I put tripe, lamb, beef mince with it and my three look good on it, atb

2 minutes ago, Jerry71 said:

I go to Polish shops for dog, ferret  food they supply carcass, gizzard, hearts, and I put tripe, lamb, beef mince with it and my three look good on it, atb

Deffo have a look there's loads about round here