A Ferrets Value ?

Guest vin

Hello all.

I've just been kicked off a Facebook site for arguing the present day value of a ferret with the site admins etc.

I know this site has a few more educated, older, wiser and genuine hunting members.

My point of view is... why sell a well bred working strain/line of ferret kit to a random stranger for £5-10 pounds?

It's all well and good doing mates favours and gifting them to each other to keep the bloodlines varied within working lines etc. 

But £10 ... it's not the value of a packet of cigarettes etc.. how can that do the humble little warriors any justice in this day and age?

It's no wonder all the rescues are full of ferrets and people just dump them at the end of the season rather than feed them all summer etc.  

I really do think that £50 is a reasonable minimum price and £100 should not be too expensive for a seriously well-bred worker that has had a lot of time and effort put into the rearing and handling etc. I would go as far as to say a worker should be worth at least £100 in this modern world we are now living in. I'm not trying to start an argument but come on chaps..how much was your phone..? how much petrol/diesel did you put in the vehicle to take you hunting? how much for a locator/collar, nets,  FFsake how much for the McDonalds on the way? 

it's not about the money... it's about the value of our underground champions.

Come on chaps it's up to us to set the standards for the future.

5ac3fde499ee9_flyingferret.-Copy.thumb.JPG.22d2213941e7da5ccfa3eff8ac16f78a.JPG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following from what Phil said about finding quarry in different circumstances I have different ferrets for different circumstances. I have a hob that will refuse to leave a rabbit below ground and is

Like most folk,.I've had ferrets that have come from the strangest of places... Pet homes, hippy communes, Laboratories, even genuine 'ferret farms',...plus a handful that I have trapped in carro

Just breed what you need, gifting what you dont need to known working homes and knock the rest.  If you push the price up then all of a sudden the internet will be full if ferret farmers selling

Posted Images

I've payed £40 In the past when I've needed one... But  real good ones are worth alot more... I've travelled 150 miles in the past for them and dropped them off to folk.... Same as  pups ? Getting a lining? Days sport? Cost as much as your willing to spend.... I love a good road trip me:thumbs:

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I've payed £40 In the past when I've needed one... But  real good ones are worth alot more... I've travelled 150 miles in the past for them and dropped them off to folk.... Same as  pups ? Getting a lining? Days sport? Cost as much as your willing to spend.... I love a good road trip me:thumbs:

I see plenty of these EU types advertised on the free adds sites etc for £50. . . Mine look like EU..but don't behave like them..lol, and you can get them out the warren when its empty.

5ac40449c449f_IMG_2382-Copy.thumb.JPG.a53626957fd4cd6340a34edcba62d84d.JPG

I think the $20 to $30 dollars they go for over here is a silly price by the time you feed, house and train them.The problem here is that very few people work them,so don't value them more than a guinea pig,also in breeding season theres a glut of kits about and your lucky to find decent homes for them,let alone working homes,To me a good ferret is priceless in our sport that's why I only keep hobs these days.Also being so cheap people don't value them enough to care for them properly and often abandon them out bush.

• Like 2

As people have said any ferret will work but when you come across them hard to find excellent working strains they are like gold dust. Iv had hundreds of ferrets over many years and proberbly 10 stick in my mind as exceptional these have long gone to that big warren in the sky of old age.  Would I pay £50 each to have these workers back?? Bloody sure I would with no hesitation.

• Like 3

ferrets have always been under valved but trying to sell them for they,re true worth sounds like a recipe for disaster to me if you have a good working strain breed for you,re self gift a few to friends who will return the favour at a later date any that are left then a tenner for will do me 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I never really have trouble selling my Kits, most are sold to people I know who work them, or to people that have had me recommended to them, sold all my kits this year for $70 ech and I wouldn’t part with a Woking ferret  unless it was part of a trade. You can find a lot cheaper on gumtree for $20 but that’s a lucky dip, at least with mine people know what they are getting, I think it’s a fair price all things considered.

• Like 1

Sirblessed here in the UK thousands upon thousands of kits will be born this season and as you say its a lottery as to what you get its taken me at least ten years to  get to where i am now and i think i have a half decent strain that i try to improve on each year the rubbish that i had to go through to get what i have now beggers belief if i had the chance  all those years ago to buy kits from a good working strain for top dollar you bet your life i would have 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, bobhow said:

Sirblessed here in the UK thousands upon thousands of kits will be born this season and as you say its a lottery as to what you get its taken me at least ten years to  get to where i am now and i think i have a half decent strain that i try to improve on each year the rubbish that i had to go through to get what i have now beggers belief if i had the chance  all those years ago to buy kits from a good working strain for top dollar you bet your life i would have 

I bought one recently, a ready made working Jill from a line that I like, she was supposed to be pregnant but had a phantom, not that I'm worried about it, I can always put her in this year.

I was just happy he sold her to me, she is a fantastic worker and a nice type ( dark polecat) paid good money for her, with no regrets.

Screenshot (5).png

• Like 2

Just breed what you need, gifting what you dont need to known working homes and knock the rest. 

If you push the price up then all of a sudden the internet will be full if ferret farmers selling top strains from working homes and 100 notes each..

I never paid yet but i ha e travelled 2 hours each way and 40 quid in diesel to get what i wanted..

• Like 5

I was on facebook  on a couple of ferret sites as im interested in getting a few replacements to get my numbers back up with out breeding a litter and being left with all the hobs , And being honest i think there totally shit you struggle to get anything from working stock , its all pet owners with angora or angora crosses looking for hundreds of pounds for there kits when i would be looking for a bucket of water for them . The next ones are Eu or Eu crosses  can be a bit nippy means they couldn't be arsed handling it as a kit and now they want to pass there problem ferret onto some mug and get money for it . Then there's the pet ferret brigade not for sale to a working home £40 each 

If i get a kit from parents that have been out working i am prepared  to pay for it or swap nets ect to the value the breeder wants and take my chances that it turns out a grafter . Im honestly thinking about breeding my youngest jill and thinning out the kits , But i already thinking we are loosing the battle if no the war the show brigade are taking over the ferret world same as the dogs as when i saw a ferret getting its nails clipped and a cotton bud shoved in its ear  i thought what the feck , and whats House ferrets all about ?.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, smithie said:

Just breed what you need, gifting what you dont need to known working homes and knock the rest. 

If you push the price up then all of a sudden the internet will be full if ferret farmers selling top strains from working homes and 100 notes each..

I never paid yet but i ha e travelled 2 hours each way and 40 quid in diesel to get what i wanted..

fair point,  ive done the same  with lurchers  , put £ 50 quid for the trip to pick  pup up, but i still give few quid for the dog , my  one dog cost  £ 40  the other  the same , and both  been good workers . so i do the same for a stinker  , £30-40 quid  nothing for well bred and tested  stock .:thumbs:

• Like 1

Last year mrs made me an advert for ferrets put £40  on it , sold them all with in a week , when blokes turned up who was going to work then I offered them for free and they all gave me the £40 to put in little lasss money box, I get updates from the 6 I sold and all doing well , I think putting a good price on stops idiots ringing 

• Like 3