Airsporter mk5 service/smoothing out

Got a bsa airsporter mk5 that is reasonably good nick ( better than my dads when he got his for £20 back in the 80s haha) but after shooting it a few months I believe it could do with a service as it's rather snappy and twangy. The power is there so not doing this to boost the power as I know the airsporter ran at around 10ft/lbs. thinking it may still need a new spring and a clean up of the insides. Anyone used to dealing with airsporters and servicing them and what I need to get it shooting smoothly. I was thinking a general clean up, top hat, a spring guide and maybe a new spring ( if it's one of those awful square section springs) and was thinking maybe lining the inside of the piston. Anyone who's good at these things feel free to tell me what you believe is needed for the job

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just click on the link it may help you out with a few tips Bsa,air Sporter Refurb   atvbjimmy

BIG MAC , hes one of the best and will go out of his way to help anyone.  

Cheers for your opinion on it mate? I havnt seen anything like that either mate. All the repro piston heads have the one O ring so going to go with one of them. Either from John knibbs or T R Robb

Posted Images

21 hours ago, hedge wanderer said:

Got a bsa airsporter mk5 that is reasonably good nick ( better than my dads when he got his for £20 back in the 80s haha) but after shooting it a few months I believe it could do with a service as it's rather snappy and twangy. The power is there so not doing this to boost the power as I know the airsporter ran at around 10ft/lbs. thinking it may still need a new spring and a clean up of the insides. Anyone used to dealing with airsporters and servicing them and what I need to get it shooting smoothly. I was thinking a general clean up, top hat, a spring guide and maybe a new spring ( if it's one of those awful square section springs) and was thinking maybe lining the inside of the piston. Anyone who's good at these things feel free to tell me what you believe is needed for the job

Change the spring mate, an ox spring will make it twangy and snappy as hell.

Got it in bits and piston out. Piston head is wobbly a bit and there is no top hat (not sure if the airsporters came with them) so any info on that would be helpful. Going to give it a clean. Quite a bit of preload on the spring mind ?

20180403_131444.jpg

Edited by hedge wanderer
  • Like 1

Just going to keep the spring mate. It isn't very brutal to cock but I was considering a top hat and spring guide but was worried about it taking the power over the limit. What's your experience with power increase as a result of the top hat and spring guide.

Also it doesn't have an airsporter piston head in it. Don't have a clue what it's from tbh but it's loose and no pin to knock out??

32 minutes ago, hedge wanderer said:

It's got 2 O rings and wobbles quite a bit 

20180404_085020.jpg

Chambers will have what you need and may even do a replacement head and seal for it

and if your worried about the limit cut two or three coils off the spring then heat it up until glowing red hot and crimp the end down .

but before you do this try it over a cronie first to see what power she is putting out

as you may find she may not need the spring cut

click on link below

Airgun spares | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle ...

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

PS,,good advice off charlie the man knows what he is talking about

21 minutes ago, hedge wanderer said:

Ah cheers for the heads up mate, much appreciate it ? Do you reckon there a hole with a pin in under one of those O rings, just I don't think there is and can't figure out how to take it off

THE ONE I DID I THINK HAD A DIFFERENT PISTON IN IT

looking at yours

but the one in this pic has a hole in it and i cant remember how the new one went on

if it comes back to me ill pm you

iv done that many rifles latterly its slipped my mind 

but if you go on chambers there is a brake down of all the parts in a diagram and it may give you a hint of how to get it off 

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Ps or pm tim charlie caller and he will sort you out mate :thumbs:

post-63400-0-96927900-1488718656.jpg

It's definitely not the standard piston for the mk5 and don't know what it's from

I noticed that you took your airsporter to sports and leisure in Blyth so I'm guessing you live in the north east and wondered where abouts as I live near killingworth and having someone close to hand would be helpful

Edited by hedge wanderer

Now Im not sure on this, but that piston head looks like something somebody has bodged on, or its a piston from something else, and thst is deffo an aftermarket spring (looks decent) probably a titan, Chambers do the export piston head which has one o ring, which is the one I would fit, or a T R Robb one, if that is a piston from something else, I would be very tempted to order a new piston, as the last thing you want is the piston head moving on compression, it looks like the rifle has been dieseling from the pictures, I would de grease everything including the inside of the comp cylinder, get a new piston and export head, a delrin spring guide and top hat, will smooth things out considerably, when you put it back together after polishing piston an d spring ends, put dri slide on the piston, a little silicone oil on the piston o ring, and just a light smear of Moly paste, not grease on the spring and guide, this should settle into a nice smooth shooting rifle, making around 10.5-11 ftlbs, I would not worry too much about it going over, but as always check with a chrono, and again after a few hundred shots bedding in, good luck.