ADVICE ON 12G BLACKPOWDER CARTRIDGE LOADING.

Hi to the black powder experts.

I am due to loading some 12g blackpowder cartridges with 60gr of powder and 28g of shot. My question is that I have rather a lot of CCI 209m primers.

Is it OK to use these or should I play safe and get some milder ones? There is so much conflicting advice on magnum primers and light blackpowder loads. I would like advice from loaders who actually have experience of this. thanks.

No they are going into plastic hulls. I am told that with too hot a primer the primer starts to move the load before the black powder has fully ignited. I think I will get some plain 209 ones. 

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

No they are going into plastic hulls. I am told that with too hot a primer the primer starts to move the load before the black powder has fully ignited. I think I will get some plain 209 ones. 

who has told you that a 209 is too hot?  Whats the point of asking a question and then completely dismissing the answer from someone who knows what they are doing and has been doing so for a long time ? Still you could always go and buy some and then you would know the product and you'd have nothing to worry about.

Ps. mag tech brass  cases do use pistol primers.

I am very sorry my friend but I never said that 209 primers were too hot, indeed they are I believe fitted to many black powder cartridges and are recommended.

What I do suspect is that the 209M Notice" M for magnum" Which are the ones I have, are too hot but I cant find a definitive answer and that's why I asked "if you carefully read my OP" Hoping that someone on this forum had used magnum primers with a light load.

Instead what I seem to get is folk who cant read "Oh well"

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 09:43, DUNKS said:

Is it me?

Is this a record? With only six posts as a newby I encounter the forum member who cant read and the resident keyboard warrior.

Think I will go elsewhere I don't need the hassle.

If you want advice on loading black powder cartridges enclosed is the following If the cartridge cases are new and made by cheddite  which will be 209  primers they are OK . For a 2.1/2 inch case the best load which is a volume load is 2.3/4 drms of black powder to 1.1/8 oz of shot For black powder loads the best cases are paper case  which can be reloaded you will find that plastic cases melt holes in the case . The method of loading a standard 12 bore 2.1/2 inch case is has follows  If new first the powder then a 1/8 card wad then a Klenna 1/2 felt  wad followed by another 1/8 card , then the shot . followed by a 1/16 card  and finished with a rolled turnover Always remember to put a 1/8 card on top of the Kleena wad  because if not the shot will embed into the cleaner wad and will leave the barrel like a bullet and blow your pattern you should leave 1/8 inch of the case for the rolled turnover

Feltwad

• 4 weeks later...

The magnum primer won't make any difference and most definitely will light the black powder, heck a fart at the wrong angle will set black powder off!

It is certain smokeless powders that require hot primers but black powder is not one of them and a hot primer will in no way fail to ignite black powder as someone may have suggested to you.

U.