Choosing a Rifle?

I am looking for a PCP for pest control on the father in laws farm. Mainly rat but also rabbits and pigeon. 

I am thinking .177 and look to get myself set up ready to shoot with about £1000. Just looking for a bit of advice on choosing a rifle and what accessories to get with it? 

Thanks

FIRST OFF THE LADS WILL SAY HW100 OF ANY FORMAT

OR CAL

THEN YOU WILL GET MARK WILLIAMS ALONG SAYING

A SPRING RIFLE IS THE WAY TO GO

THEN THE PIGEON TARGET PICS WILL FOLLOW

AND THEN THE FROZEN PIGEONS WILL COME AFTER THAT

THEN PHOTOS OF THE TX200HC,,,FWB SPORT AND THE OTHER ONE AND NOW THE PRO SPORT

AND HE WILL SAY YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE RIGHT CAL SO WILL TIM:tongue2:

JON JON THEN MATTWHITE SI,BROWN,,AND THE REST

THEN REZ WILL COME ALONG AND SAY THE S410

NOW HAVE I MISSED ANY ONE OUT :hmm:

Honest the hw100 is the way to go and you will not look back

but at the end of the day its what suits you

fits you

and what you feel comfortable with

try some out at a shooting range and shoulder a few at the rfd,s

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

PS,,mark will also put the new pin head pics up as well

but not the dot challenge one as he is chicken to do this

i mean come on he cant even hit the pin heads :laugh:

• Haha 1

That's a healthy budget Griff :yes:

I'd also say get out and try as many as you can - lads at shooting clubs are generally a friendly bunch, only too happy to tell you about their kit and let you have a go.

But, my advice would be an HW100. You can pick up a very nice used rifle and scope and, still have a fair whack left of that budget :thumbs:

I had a go on a HW110. It's just as good as the HW100 but a ton cheaper (£650ish brand new, Hawke Vantage 3-12x50 £120, Air bottle 3L for about £150, Eyoyo Laser Rangefinder for about £70). Most Gunshops will let you try before you buy. Take your time and try as many as you can. There's plenty out there for that budget. Best of luck mate and "Good Hunting".

3 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

FIRST OFF THE LADS WILL SAY HW100 OF ANY FORMAT

OR CAL

THEN YOU WILL GET MARK WILLIAMS ALONG SAYING

A SPRING RIFLE IS THE WAY TO GO

THEN THE PIGEON TARGET PICS WILL FOLLOW

AND THEN THE FROZEN PIGEONS WILL COME AFTER THAT

THEN PHOTOS OF THE TX200HC,,,FWB SPORT AND THE OTHER ONE AND NOW THE PRO SPORT

AND HE WILL SAY YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE RIGHT CAL SO WILL TIM:tongue2:

JON JON THEN MATTWHITE SI,BROWN,,AND THE REST

THEN REZ WILL COME ALONG AND SAY THE S410

NOW HAVE I MISSED ANY ONE OUT :hmm:

Honest the hw100 is the way to go and you will not look back

but at the end of the day its what suits you

fits you

and what you feel comfortable with

try some out at a shooting range and shoulder a few at the rfd,s

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

PS,,mark will also put the new pin head pics up as well

but not the dot challenge one as he is chicken to do this

i mean come on he cant even hit the pin heads :laugh:

I seem to be having an effect on someone`s thoughts  :rolleyes:

Contrary to the above, I could not recommend anything other than the HW 100 to you Griff.

I cannot offer anything advice wise for night time other than a warm fire and good wire, ( snare work),- gets outstanding results.

Scope wise I bought a nice 4-16 x 50 Mamba from Vislauk off here for static/ ambush shooting for my HW 100 KT .177, - seems to work ok.:whistling:

IMG_0676.JPG.e2b4cd5e7f8297799e21c60ec941b27d.JPG

Do remember to brush the frost off and use a "Des O`Conner record" to get them to land  :rofl:

Go HW 100 Griff and join our TWAT club, I own two 100`s, that`s how highly I rate them. 

• Haha 1

The HW100 is what I have looked at to be honest. I have had hands on one but not shot it so thanks for the advice I will try and fire it first. I have shot a couple of rats with an S410 so that is an option too. 

Really appreciate your feedback gents, the reason I asked is because there will be lads with a lot of experience on here and it already points to the HW100.

Jonnyb6161 can I just ask why you recommended the range finder? Would it be to lase an area I have bated up for example? 

Thanks for the help!

Edited by griffgav

I recommend a rangefinder because it's a bit of a dark art to range using the reticle. I'm sure you would agree that it's very important to kill cleanly.

Rangefinders help you put your pellet where you want it. Also, the further out you reach, the more steeply the pellet drops (especially in .22 or above at sub 12lb).

A grand on a mainly ratting gun... jeeeez. Don’t think theres oat out there when you go for something for bugs :) 

im gonna say an ultra. Then tune the bollox off it, then get a decent optic, then get a mid range NV option, then get ya sen a tin of pellets, then get a set of sticks... 

Small. Lightweight. Nothing to prove to anyone does a trick ultra. Caliber, whatever you fancy mate. 

• Like 1

Its hard to judge distance at night what you may think is 30yrds may be 40

so a range finder will come in use full but it will have to be a nv range finder

A hw100 if you look around (second hand) go for around £500 up wards

some come all kitted up scopes,,pods and so on

if your wanting to go night shooting a t20 or  t38 lamps are more than you will need

most use red pills as the red shows the eye shine better

both these lamps will shine a lot further than your rifle can shoot

and get the battery charger and rechargeable battery,s  .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::hmm::thumbs:

The reason I have said a £1000 budget is I have bought a few things in the past and then instantly gone for a better model not long after “by cheap by twice”. But I do understand there are second hand rifles at good prices, but I run the risk of no warranty and not completely knowing what a good second hand rifle is. I have borrowed a couple of rifles for the rats on the farm and know I enjoy it and there are a lot of rats to be had.

Again great advice from everyone and I really appreciate it. Thanks for the heads up on lamps bigmac! 

• Like 1