Is Lamping Unsporting?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A monkey could sound clever on here ... even you have managed it once or twice ......

Anyone who's lamped a bit will know it's not, by any means  Cheers, D.

I'll go with that what's sport got a do with lamping ,it's about a bag full a boot full a freezer full what Eva ya fancy,sporting animals a sporting days his that shames has a sporting animal the diff

Posted Images

No rabbits are diurnal and crepuscular which means they are happy to feed at both night and day and at low lights and their eyes are perfectly adapted for these conditions ... dogs are crepuscular so are at a disadvantage straight away ... add to that they are in their own environment and know all the escape routes and as a prey animal their senses are finely tuned to escape hunters ... we cheat by adding light into the equation and can at times manipulate the situation but on the whole I think it's fairly fair with the odds 60/40 to the dogs advantage ......

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Anyone who's lamped a bit will know it's not, by any means :thumbs:

Cheers, D.

Anyone that has done them during the daylight will know you have a much better chance at catching them at night. True they tend to feed further out from cover but the lamp certainly helps matters which could be classed as unsporting to some.

Edited by Kerny92
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, socks said:

No rabbits are diurnal and crepuscular which means they are happy to feed at both night and day and at low lights and their eyes are perfectly adapted for these conditions ... dogs are crepuscular so are at a disadvantage straight away ... add to that they are in their own environment and know all the escape routes and as a prey animal their senses are finely tuned to escape hunters ... we cheat by adding light into the equation and can at times manipulate the situation but on the whole I think it's fairly fair with the odds 60/40 to the dogs advantage ......

That's what I'm referring to, adding a lamp to the equation swings the odds in your favour. Wolves and Wild Dogs can and do hunt at twilight and in the night though.

Edited by Kerny92
1 minute ago, socks said:

90/10 round here to the rabbit with all the light pollution or the dog's are just crap

• Like 1

Yes, it is unsporting BUT when i lamp i want to catch rabbits not give them best.

I see coursing as sporting, a competition where greyhounds are judged on the course and the catch is secondary.