home loading q,s

Morning all.

I've always been mildly interested in home loading but shy away each time because of worry of killing myself :-)

So instead I've always bought the best factory ammo possible.

However after watching many on line tutorials I think it may be within my capabilities.

So, how does it work legally?

Am I only allowed to possess the number of bullet heads that I'm allowed to keep on my fac, or is it that you can hold unlimited components, but not exceed your allotted allowance of complete rounds?

Will I actually produce better rounds than the premium ready rolled I buy off the shelf?

Are there other laws relating to home loading? 

Thanks for looking,

Jamie.

Since expanding bullets stopped being section 5 items and became section 1, you can have as many as you like. It's only when they are made into complete rounds they count as part of your ammo allowance.

I believe there are limits to how much powder and how many primers you can store, but it's a lot - more than a homeloader is likely to keep

You will find a load your gun likes better than factory made stuff, not to mention the cost saving and I actually find it quite enjoyable. Be warned it can become addicitve and you can go over the top searching for that "perfect load." I found a load for my 223 a few years back that is very accurate and suits my gun and what I use it for. Could I get smaller grouping? Possibly. Is it worth the faffing about trying to do so? Not in my opinion. 

As long as you are methodical and stick to the same routine each time, you won't blow yourself up. Probably. :D

You won't blow your self up if you follow the powder manufacturers guidelines on powder choice and charge weights for a given cartridge.

I loaded for decades and with occasionally pushing boundaries I never blew anything up!

• Like 1

The books give guidelines. If you follow the guides and do some research you can start loads to suit.

im running 41 grains on one load and reloading manual says 39 max. The books are more like rough guidelines. 

Barrel length etc etc etc etc 

It can be as straight forward or as complicated as you want it to be. If your happy with a 0.5” group at 100 yards then great.  ( I’m in that crowd ) is If you want a one hole group then there’s loads of ways of improving loads but the kit and the time involved soon adds up !.

id give it a go, no worries about batch numbers for a start, can make as many as you need ,no worries of local shop running out etc.

just don’t smoke when your weighing the powder and all will be good ?

• Like 1

It depends on how much ammo you use as to whether it will be cost effective if £'s are short. It can be very addictive and costly if you get into it in a big way. I don't  like to think how much I have spent on stuff because i reload for 4 different calibres as well as 2 shotgun bores.  What rifile cal do you want to reload for? Every gun is different and it isnt a case of buy the   components, follow that recipe and your gun will shoot 1 hole groups. You wont blow yourself up and the book powder amounts  are on the safe safe side because of legal considerations. Perhaps there is a reloader near you that will show you how and what.

Ps  the questions that you asked have been covered above. Don't  throw away empty cases.and ask for jhelp.and don't let on how much this is going to  cost you.

Pps .  A cronograph is a pretty essential bit of kit when you reload.  Because being without one is like driving a car without a speedo. You havent got a clue how fast you are going.

Edited by Meece

All good advice above. It's hard to go wrong if you don't stray too far from the guidelines and you will enjoy it.

You may want to read up on "Reach". Some US powders will be banned from Europe soon and it would be frustrating to spend lots of time developing a powder/bullet combo and then find you can't buy it any more. There are plenty of alternatives.

Good luck and there's no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to reloading.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Yes reloading is a good way to go, but don't come into it expecting 'cheap' ammo, but DO expect excellent ammo!

It's also a 'hobby' in it's own right, like fly tying (another of my side lines), you can brew-up your own version(s) of

standard mass produced 'fodder'. No commercial ammo is particularly well made, yes the expensive types are made to

a better standard, and use 'premium' components, particularly bullets, but at the end of the day it's thrown out of a clunky

'sausage machine' designed to be profitable, nothing wrong with that, and the 'best' branded ammo is pretty good (I.M O.)

Reloading is best practiced by someone who is reasonably 'competent', by that I mean you are a decent DIY person, you don't call

the AA when you get a puncture, or your job is in a practical skilled occupation i.e. engineer, electrician etc.

Buy the best Dies, Bullets & Powder.  

Cases, Loading Presses, Powder scales and minor tools can be the 'cheaper' brands as they are virtually the same as the premium ones they just don't

last as long in prime functionality.

So go for it, I started with a 'LEE ANNIVERSERY' kit and one set of .223 dies, 30 years ago, I still use many bits of it, although I've added loads

of other stuff since.

AndyF

All my dies and presses are Lee, as well as primer tool.. I use an RCBS charge master for throwing loads and get good results, you do not have to splash out loads to be honest. I'd spend money on decent scales though RCBS or along them lines, all the little bits soon add up...