Putange mole trapping

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strychnine,..was a terrible thing... Back in the day, I felt that its usage was something (as a Rural Pester) that I should know about. I applied to be schooled and instructed in the safe us

As a lifelong trapper, and a one time Importer, of killing traps,..the humane dispatching of a pest species really is a subject,... close to my heart. I do believe that we can affect a change, by

Posted Images

On 24/11/2018 at 11:17, Mr Wasp said:

Why so triggered whenever I comment?
If anyone is struggling, it is you. Struggling to make sense or even string a coherent sentence together.
What exactly is your point in this thread? Is it to big up your friend Jeff?

I catch a few moles yes. I dont pretend to be the big man or the best at it. I simply do not do enough to claim that title.

" MOST mole trappers that ive come across, or are aware of aren't    'FIT TOO LACE THE MANS BOOTS' "

The above sycophantic sentence says it all for me.
I feel sorry for you, I really do.

I know i said I'm done here, ...but I meant too answer this,  "what exactly is your point in this thread? Is it to big up your friend Jeff?"  ,......well, i dont agree with absolutely EVERYTHING that's put , regards him here, & I'm not shy to say,..&  "big up" ? ,....the man doesn't need it, lol.....&  "I don't pretend to be the big man or the best at it"  ? ,.....so WHO does ? ?,......cause I've not come across any 'big man' on here, or anyone who says their the "best at it" ? ?,....end of the day ive been on here long enough , & have never cared about being part of any 'in crowd', or 'cleek' ,....& even more than that, im not in the slight bit interested in being popular, etc ,...on here !  (& the plan is hopefully to f**k of permanently soon & finally keep my 'big mouth' shut ! ???,...easier said than done for me , but    ha ha ha)

• 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, hutch6 said:

Around a fifth of my traps are putange. Don’t half come in handy at times but obviously not my “go to” choice of trap.

Yes they are very good in runs, may I ask your trap of choice thanks. I also use the talpex type trap supplied by the same putage supplier they are very powerful

Trap of choice is tunnel trap. Quick to set, quick to check and quick to pick back out again. Also two putange weigh about the same as two or three tunnel traps so for ease of carting they are ideal.

• Like 1

Flatpack tunnel traps (stainless steel) are about the best you'll get, expensive but you buy once and cry once. The only trouble you'll have is if brock takes a fancy to a cheap meal.

If I see plenty of signs of brock I switch to putangs, cheap as chips and less of a hit to your pocket.

Thanks for the heads up, there is a lot of the strippey headed buggers on the ground, theres one ran over at the gates I used to see the job, I've never had 1 nick a trap before but haven't been doing so much before as I am now out on big parks

Not just badgers; young foxes can dig out a trapped mole and make off with the trap. My spaniel used to track them and she found quite a few abandoned nearby. I reckon they lost interest when playing with the trap and setting the second side off. No such luck training the current dog - a JRT x Fox Terrier. Thick as the proverbial! ?

The don't tend to bother uprooting Talpex for some reason but a shallow set Flatpack is asking for trouble on some areas at this time of year.

A little bit of history of the putange mole trap.

The Palace of Versailles, whose origins date back to the seventeenth century, was successively a hunting lodge, a seat of power and, from the nineteenth century, a museum. With the gardens and the Palaces of Trianon, the park of the Château de Versailles spreads over 800 hectares

The gardens of Versailles, created by André Le Nôtre on behalf of Louis XIV, become under his reign the reference of the courts of Europe and the power of the Sun King can not be tarnished by the disorder caused by the moles. The Liard family was engaged to perform the function of taupiers (mole trappers) at the castle, it will keep this position for nearly 200 years. According to the archives, thousands of moles are eliminated under Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI, but it is necessary to understand the high number of these figures because the mole trapper was paid for each mole killed.

One evening, the Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte came to sleep at Versailles. He stays in Trianon and during a stroll in the King's Garden, created under Louis XIV, he was accosted by a prostitute. Stunned, the emperor investigates such a presence in the castle and discovers that the mole trapper Liard, housed in the park, organizes the evenings of "dubious cabarets". He was fired at the age of 75: he was the last taupier hired directly by the Palace of Versailles.

Now the gardens are almost mole-free. They allow moles to inhabit the lower regions away from the mass of visitors. The mole trapper is  Jerome Dormion who also has the honour of keeping other magnificent châteaus and posh Parisian golf courses mole free. M. Dormion is head of a franchise called Taupe Green that operates throughout France (but thankfully nowhere near the region I live and work in). There are around 35 franchisees.

jerome-AP-versailles1.png.b19fe6be97b583fe3484f911d41fa8a7.png

The size of spade used by M. Jerome is much larger than the one I tend to use. These days I cut 99% of the holes using a large carving knife. Typically French taupiers will use a large shovel take out a clod 4 to 8 times the size of the Duffus sized hole I create. They cut around a mole hill, lever the clod out, clean the tunnels and insert a putange fully into the tunnel at each side. Each putange is then secured by one of those orange markers and the clod replaced. Another oddity is that many of the French pro's have only just started to tie their triggers on in the way that we do. Before they would put the triggers onto one of the prongs and carry the putanges threaded onto a rope or belt. Then the triggers were placed between the prongs just before the putanges were inserted into the tunnel. Some taupiers secured the trigger to one leg of the trap using a small metal ring.

One of the noticeable thing about the moles in the area where I operate is that they regularly breed four times a year. I come across young moles at the ends of January, April, July and October and during the last couple of years we haven't had the extremes of weather in August and February that would normally wipe out many of the youngsters before they got established.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only problem with that story is the bit where the guy reckoned he had moles in the scissor traps as cat attractant to begin with ??

The amount of time it takes to faff about with those things in order to persuade a mole to entertain the idea that “everything is alright, just a bit of muck in my tunnel”. Just not worth the effort and aggro of returning time and again to filled in traps or they’ve gone off but are so piss weak the mole sees it as an opportunity for some gym time or has casually walked through before the jaws have time to hug it. Caught a fair number in scissor traps but I’m sure it’d be quicker to catch them with a spade.

Im always drawn to the pest control section of stores and love testing the spring strength on the traps. How they get away selling such inhuman things is beyond me. 

• Like 2

Nicepix,

I’m a firm believer that if there is enough food they will breed more than once, similar to how owls have multiple clutches when the vole population is going through a boom.

I can certainly believe that they can breed so prolifically over there due to the favourable climate in certain areas.

Edited by hutch6
10 hours ago, hutch6 said:

Nicepix,

I’m a firm believer that if there is enough food they will breed more than once, similar to how owls have multiple clutches when the vole population is going through a boom.

I can certainly believe that they can breed so prolifically over there due to the favourable climate in certain areas.

And I thought that it was because they ate Catholics ?

Eliza tinsley do a good scissor but for the most part they are barbaric things

i picked up a couple from a field after another trapper had trapped and I was asked to do it properly and I wouldn’t have used them to squash flies 

terrible weak things that would have held the mole but nothing more

ive seen moles breeding twice a year here for definite 

the numbers are still good domestically but the farmers don’t address them here