Putange mole trapping

34 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Sorry forgot to say,   i dont personally believe 24 hr trap checking is bad practise , do you ? (possibly not pragmatic, you could argue),.........but i also recognise that its not very practical or feasible perhaps, for some mole catchers circumstances these days ?

I don’t think it’s a bad thing

i do it when time allows

do I believe making it mandatory will alleviate suffering 

no i fecking don’t as I’ve said all along

i also don’t think making one type of trap approved is sensible

The talpex the Putange and the barrel if good quality are all humane traps when used correctly

to say otherwise is disingenuous and says a lot about the person as a trapper

its interesting you stormed off a while back saying the mole games f****d and now you’re back hand in hand with jeff

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strychnine,..was a terrible thing... Back in the day, I felt that its usage was something (as a Rural Pester) that I should know about. I applied to be schooled and instructed in the safe us

As a lifelong trapper, and a one time Importer, of killing traps,..the humane dispatching of a pest species really is a subject,... close to my heart. I do believe that we can affect a change, by

Posted Images

Trying to insist on mandatory 24-hour trap checking on traps that are designed to be lethal is absolutely ridiculous. Accidents can happen. I have had rats caught by their legs and tails and squirrels caught by their paws. All of the traps involved were legal and humane.

To insist on checking every single humane lethal trap every 24 hours would put many of us out of business as we just would not be able to check every single trap every single day, when out on a job.

And the way things are going with SGARS if they try and restrict our ability to lay traps as well then the country will be overrun with vermin.

Personally I would never join one of the mole catchers associations. They are self-serving money-making schemes run by bullies and frankly I have nothing at all to do with them. I can't ever see the situation where they're going to try and bring in checking a lethal trap every 24 hours and I personally will fight tooth and nail against it.

I think the putange is probably the most humane trap I've ever used followed by the talpex and then the half barrel. The current crop of half barrels, the trigger is too far away from the Killing loop so they're not actually that all much of a humane trap in my opinion.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, tilimangro said:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing

i do it when time allows

do I believe making it mandatory will alleviate suffering 

no i fecking don’t as I’ve said all along

i also don’t think making one type of trap approved is sensible

The talpex the Putange and the barrel if good quality are all humane traps when used correctly

to say otherwise is disingenuous and says a lot about the person as a trapper

its interesting you stormed off a while back saying the mole games f****d and now you’re back hand in hand with jeff

" Its interesting you stormed off a while back saying the mole games f****d and now your back hand in hand with Jeff"  ?  Again, just inaccurate partly,.......Thats right i believe the game is suffering badly now , & its largely down to all these associations, (& other so called 'experts' ? who are only on the make,...) they are collectively ruining it now, & im really not too hopeful for the future of mole catching ?,...........& UNLIKE yourself , i remain independent,..........I NEVER have been part of any club ! & refuse to be affiliated fully with anybody elses agenda.      So at least get it right ? (incidentally, do you think i would ever be shy to tell Jeff Nicholls if i disagreed with him regarding whatever ??,.......cause if so you are mistaken. Ive criticised everyone at the helm of these associations, and beyond,.........both privately , & publicly ,............you see , im not interested in any popularity contest, or seeking to be the spokesman on behalf of molecatchers, etc. So i will say what i like, always ?              I like your passion for what YOU believe by the way ?,.....so lets see if youve got the balls to put it to Jeff ? (maybe after you view the dvd perhaps & that may be more fuel for you, against him  ?   lol lol )     So i will 'watch this space' ?

Edited by earth-thrower
Just now, Torquemada said:

Trying to insist on mandatory 24-hour trap checking on traps that are designed to be lethal is absolutely ridiculous. Accidents can happen. I have had rats caught by their legs and tails and squirrels caught by their paws. All of the traps involved were legal and humane.

To insist on checking every single humane lethal trap every 24 hours would put many of us out of business as we just would not be able to check every single trap every single day, when out on a job.

And the way things are going with SGARS if they try and restrict our ability to lay traps as well then the country will be overrun with vermin.

Personally I would never join one of the mole catchers associations. They are self-serving money-making schemes run by bullies and frankly I have nothing at all to do with them. I can't ever see the situation where they're going to try and bring in checking a lethal trap every 24 hours and I personally will fight tooth and nail against it.

I think the putange is probably the most humane trap I've ever used followed by the talpex and then the half barrel. The current crop of half barrels, the trigger is too far away from the Killing loop so they're not actually that all much of a humane trap in my opinion.

Interesting, thanks for your input here.

As a lifelong trapper, and a one time Importer, of killing traps,..the humane dispatching of a pest species really is a subject,... close to my heart.:yes:

I do believe that we can affect a change, by dint of modification to the strength and positioning of the striking bar in a Break Back style rodent trap, but I feel it is going to be a far harder task with a mole trap.  Obviously, being set underground, in a tunnel environment, there is scant room to improve upon the most important killing aspect of the trap; ie the Striking bar...

To kill any animal quickly with a steel trap, it is always best to effect a powerful hit on the upper cervical vertebrae (the skull area)...this action will generally render the animal unconscious and hopefully kill it ASAP... The confines of the mole run make it difficult to produce that kind of lethal hit...Consequently, we are left with traps that crush and hold...or God forbid, strangle...?

I have always worked on a regime whereby I try to check traps on a regular basis,..this is not so much due to any thought of being lucky enough to find a recent catch struggling and therefore put it out of its pain, but more so, to do with getting the catching device emptied and quickly reset for the next catch...?

I do believe that changes are afoot with the trapping industry,...we must all be ready to adapt our working methods accordingly...

• Like 5
Just now, Phil Lloyd said:

As a lifelong trapper, and a one time Importer, of killing traps,..the humane dispatching of a pest species really is a subject,... close to my heart.:yes:

I do believe that we can affect a change, by dint of modification to the strength and positioning of the striking bar in a Break Back style rodent trap, but I feel it is going to be a far harder task with a mole trap.  Obviously, being set underground, in a tunnel environment, there is scant room to improve upon the most important killing aspect of the trap; ie the Striking bar...

To kill any animal quickly with a steel trap, it is always best to effect a powerful hit on the upper cervical vertebrae (the skull area)...this action will generally render the animal unconscious and hopefully kill it ASAP... The confines of the mole run make it difficult to produce that kind of lethal hit...Consequently, we are left with traps that crush and hold...or God forbid, strangle...?

I have always worked on a regime whereby I try to check traps on a regular basis,..this is not so much due to any thought of being lucky enough to find a recent catch struggling and therefore put it out of its pain, but more so, to do with getting the catching device emptied and quickly reset for the next catch...?

I do believe that changes are afoot with the trapping industry,...we must all be ready to adapt our working methods accordingly...

Thanks for your comments, Phil , interesting & informative as always,....

23 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

" Its interesting you stormed off a while back saying the mole games f****d and now your back hand in hand with Jeff"  ?  Again, just inaccurate partly,.......Thats right i believe the game is suffering badly now , & its largely down to all these associations, they are collectively ruining it now, & im really not too hopeful for the future of mole catching ?,...........& UNLIKE yourself , i remain independent,..........I NEVER have been part of any club ! & refuse to be affiliated fully with anybody elses agenda.      So at least get it right ? (incidentally, do you think i would ever be shy to tell Jeff Nicholls if i disagreed with him regarding whatever ??,.......cause if so you are mistaken. Ive criticised everyone at the helm of these associations, and beyond,.........both privately , & publicly ,............you see , im not interested in any popularity contest, or seeking to be the spokesman on behalf of molecatchers, etc. So i will say what i like, always ?              I like your passion for what you believe by the way ?,.....so lets see if youve got the balls to put it to Jeff ? (maybe after you view the dvd perhaps & that may be more fuel for you, against him  ?   lol lol )     So i will 'watch this space' ?

So associations are ruining the game yet you’re happy with the actions and reports of one association 

fwiw I haven’t seen the dvd but have seen a lot of the correspondence involved in it

ive also seen the oxford uni study which gives empirical data

get me a copy of the dvd and I’ll watch it but it’s very obvious jeffs up to his old tricks  and I don’t think he’d be happy with the wider public seeing it

Once again you f***ing idiot, why are you putting 'words in my mouth'  ?,....& you think you know what i support ?  & ive to get YOU a copy ?? whats wrong are you incapable of that too ? ffs !    Your so shit scared of Jeffs actions ???     ha ha ha ,......again take my advice & properly tell him what you think !!      (much more of this & i will be hitting the drink again ! lol lol)?

11 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Once again you f***ing idiot, why are you putting 'words in my mouth'  ?,....& you think you know what i support ?  & ive to get YOU a copy ?? whats wrong are you incapable of that too ? ffs !    Your so shit scared of Jeffs actions ???     ha ha ha ,......again take my advice & properly tell him what you think !!      (much more of this & i will be hitting the drink again ! lol lol)?

It’s very clear you aren’t a bright fellow

good luck with it all

18 hours ago, Torquemada said:

Good points well made.

I use Putangues most of the time and I'm satisfied that an overwhelming percentage of the kills are humane.

The only method of ensuring moles don't suffer from being foul-caught would be round the clock 24 hour monitoring - an impossibility. From a purely commercial perspective, 24 hour trap checks don't stack up either; time, diesel, etc. 

Mole catchers periodically get a bad press. Did anyone hear the recent phone-in on the Jeremy Vine show? A member of the public had seen a bunch of scissor trap handles sticking up whilst visiting an National Trust property and had been enraged by the fact that such an organisation would deign to 'persecute' wildlife in this manner. Of course, JV, being a confirmed urbanite, liberal, tree-hugging, bleeding-heart anti with zero understanding of country life, was fully on side, so when a certain prominent representative of the British Mole Catchers Association went on and explained that moles caused a lot of damage by breaking patio windows,(yes, a tiny minority of listeners knew she meant mole hills = stones + lawnmowers driven by idiots, but she made a right hash of it) her explanation was ridiculed. One good lad went on and spoke about Putangues, but to be honest, he was kicked to the curb by the thoroughly biased presenter. In short, some of the unelected self-styled (and as Torquemada says, self-serving) 'gurus' who purport to represent those who provide mole-catching services need to up their game considerably if they want to be taken seriously by anyone.

• Like 2
On 31/10/2018 at 08:17, LuckOrJudgement said:

Good points well made.

I use Putangues most of the time and I'm satisfied that an overwhelming percentage of the kills are humane.

The only method of ensuring moles don't suffer from being foul-caught would be round the clock 24 hour monitoring - an impossibility. From a purely commercial perspective, 24 hour trap checks don't stack up either; time, diesel, etc. 

Mole catchers periodically get a bad press. Did anyone hear the recent phone-in on the Jeremy Vine show? A member of the public had seen a bunch of scissor trap handles sticking up whilst visiting an National Trust property and had been enraged by the fact that such an organisation would deign to 'persecute' wildlife in this manner. Of course, JV, being a confirmed urbanite, liberal, tree-hugging, bleeding-heart anti with zero understanding of country life, was fully on side, so when a certain prominent representative of the British Mole Catchers Association went on and explained that moles caused a lot of damage by breaking patio windows,(yes, a tiny minority of listeners knew she meant mole hills = stones + lawnmowers driven by idiots, but she made a right hash of it) her explanation was ridiculed. One good lad went on and spoke about Putangues, but to be honest, he was kicked to the curb by the thoroughly biased presenter. In short, some of the unelected self-styled (and as Torquemada says, self-serving) 'gurus' who purport to represent those who provide mole-catching services need to up their game considerably if they want to be taken seriously by anyone.

I managed to hear a condensed bit of that Jeremy Vine show, afterwards. I was also told (on good authority) that our current chief celebrity mole catcher, was basically torn apart by a caller in ? (real poor response, overall,......done us no favours i heard ?) I read a couple of articles in that 'Pest Magazine' a while ago, by some other 'expert' of 40 yrs who suddenly appeared ? ,......picked holes all over it ...., to be honest. ( Its in issue 53, if your interested ?)   & its available to view online. He actually shows a photo of a mole caught in a putange, claiming i think ? a good catch,......well,  its clearly caught round the upper arm to me !    (& im not trying to pick on the putange here     lol ),...its his ignorance of the picture, that bothered me. That just stuck in my mind.   (& theres more in his piece  i disagree with him on.   lol)

Edited by earth-thrower
10 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

I managed to hear a condensed bit of that Jeremy Vine show, afterwards. I was also told (on good authority) that our current chief celebrity mole catcher, was basically torn apart by a caller in ? (real poor response, overall,......done us no favours i heard ?) I read a couple of articles in that 'Pest Magazine' a while ago, by some other 'expert' of 40 yrs who suddenly appeared ? ,......picked holes all over it ...., to be honest. ( Its in issue 53, if your interested ?)   & its available to view online. He actually shows a photo of a mole caught in a putange, claiming i think ? a good catch,......well,  its clearly caught round the upper arm to me !    (& im not trying to pick on the putange here     lol ),...its his ignorance of the picture, that bothered me. That just stuck in my mind.   (& theres more in his piece  i disagree with him on.   lol)

It’s now very obvious you are In league with or being indictrinated by jeff and Martin 

the picture you dispute in pest magazine shows a mole with one arm in one arm out but the trap placement is absolutely spot on for a clean kill

you claim to have never used Putanges yet you somehow dispute their efficacy and humane killing power

you also say you only use barrels yet You can comment on how other traps are inefficient

its your ignorance of how the traps work that bother me 

anyone that uses Putanges will tell you they’re probably the most efficient and versatile and humane trap out there 

I lost count of how many Jeff approved pest stop barrels I saw with foul catches In floating about on Facebook groups (something I didn’t agree with in the first place)

and jeff himself admits he gets foul catches even with his new traps 

you’ve obviously got an axe to grind mate as something’s very blunt

4 hours ago, tilimangro said:

It’s now very obvious you are In league with or being indictrinated by jeff and Martin 

the picture you dispute in pest magazine shows a mole with one arm in one arm out but the trap placement is absolutely spot on for a clean kill

you claim to have never used Putanges yet you somehow dispute their efficacy and humane killing power

you also say you only use barrels yet You can comment on how other traps are inefficient

its your ignorance of how the traps work that bother me 

anyone that uses Putanges will tell you they’re probably the most efficient and versatile and humane trap out there 

I lost count of how many Jeff approved pest stop barrels I saw with foul catches In floating about on Facebook groups (something I didn’t agree with in the first place)

and jeff himself admits he gets foul catches even with his new traps 

you’ve obviously got an axe to grind mate as something’s very blunt

LOL, (here we go) "Martin" ? I have actually only heard the guys name mentioned recently, & have had no communication with him whatsoever ?,.....& its the short film i viewed recently, that cast doubt, (or at least made me unsure, about ALL current mole trap models, actual abilities to effect a swift kill ? & yes at this stage, I could still possibly be wrong regarding that assumption.),.......also "its your ignorance about how the traps work that bother me" ?,.....well , this is exactly what was explored in the video. Currently doesn't bother me what other mole catchers use, either, but I've heard alot about " choosing the right trap for the situation" ? or " you've got to employ the correct trap for the soil type, etc" ? & it often seems the case , that every new mole trap type that comes out , is the best thing since 'sliced bread' !,.......well ive never necessarily agreed with all that,....then you hear about moles bunging traps with soil, etc (especially the half barrel ) & moles "bulldozing" etc  & how you have to switch to another trap to rectify this ?,....well , ok it does occur ? but for me now it's a rarity,.....& I DON'T have to switch to another trap type to sort this out ! ,......now I can see your putange being handy for a mole running under patio slabs , etc or possibly in a situation where tree roots are a hurdle ? ,.....(also any inefficiency in the duffus type as regards targeting a strike in the correct area, can easily be improved at least, with correct modification, & i know this is common knowledge now. Iol cause it's sometimes another gripe !),......Now, Mr Gardener, turned expert mole catcher (ha ha ha , calm down now , cause you don't have to take me serious , or do you ? Iol). Its perfectly obvious I know,  that I'm a poor match to try & cope with your intelligence & wisdom on all these matters, ......but I will keep trying ?  ?

Edited by earth-thrower
6 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

LOL, (here we go) "Martin" ? I have actually only heard the guys name mentioned recently, & have had no communication with him whatsoever ?,.....& its the short film i viewed recently, that cast doubt, (or at least made me unsure, about ALL current mole trap models, actual abilities to effect a swift kill ? & yes at this stage, I could still possibly be wrong regarding that assumption.),.......also "its your ignorance about how the traps work that bother me" ?,.....well , this is exactly what was explored in the video. Currently doesn't bother me what other mole catchers use, either, but I've heard alot about " choosing the right trap for the situation" ? or " you've got to employ the correct trap for the soil type, etc" ? & it often seems the case , that every new mole trap type that comes out , is the best thing since 'sliced bread' !,.......well ive never necessarily agreed with all that,....then you hear about moles bunging traps with soil, etc (especially the half barrel ) & moles "bulldozing" etc  & how you have to switch to another trap to rectify this ?,....well , ok it does occur ? but for me now it's a rarity,.....& I DON'T have to switch to another trap type to sort this out ! ,......now I can see your putange being handy for a mole running under patio slabs , etc or possibly in a situation where tree roots are a hurdle ? ,.....(also any inefficiency in the duffus type as regards targeting a strike in the correct area, can easily be improved at least, with correct modification, & i know this is common knowledge now. Iol cause it's sometimes another gripe !),......Now, Mr Gardener, turned expert mole catcher (ha ha ha , calm down now , cause you don't have to take me serious , or do you ? Iol). Its perfectly obvious I know,  that I'm a poor match to try & cope with your intelligence & wisdom on all these matters, ......but I will keep trying ?  ?

It’s ok 

i stopped taking you seriously a long time ago

The duffus if used/placed badly will cause foul catches(same foul catches you say you have recently had)

even jeff admits he gets foul catches in his own design traps however rather than modify them he cuts the wires and throws them away (apparently)