Putange mole trapping

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strychnine,..was a terrible thing... Back in the day, I felt that its usage was something (as a Rural Pester) that I should know about. I applied to be schooled and instructed in the safe us

As a lifelong trapper, and a one time Importer, of killing traps,..the humane dispatching of a pest species really is a subject,... close to my heart. I do believe that we can affect a change, by

Posted Images

It's only a minor issue for me, and anyway we traditional trappers don't need high tech. Might end up out of a job.

My first experience of man versus mole was 40 years ago, as a small kid. Me and Dad watched in wonder as our neighbour hosed up the exhaust pipe of his Capri to a mole hill in his front garden and revved the living daylights out of it.

Can't remember what happened to the mole but I hope he escaped!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, tilimangro said:

For the most part if I set putange on a run I can pretty much be sure the moles in them

thats the beauty of them they’re bombproof and deadly if I get them backfilled I switch to talpex and it’s game over

This is what I have been doing,the combination of the 2 trap types leaves the mole with borrowed time

All traps have there advantages and disadvantages, the putange is cheap, very simple and effective my only grip with it is how humane is it.yes the moles are dead when I check the traps. Prime example was this morning, two trap sites all the trap set the same first mole was caught round one leg large male and the second one caught round the stomach. Neither a quick end. I have also heard of moles struggling for over 25 minutes in a new British made Duffus trap

• Like 1

I’ve caught In a putange several times when I was on site still

everytine the mole was dead

all traps can give foul catches that is down to the operator and not the trap

even Jeff Nichols who seemingly wants to bring in mandatory 24 hour trap checking says he has foul catches with his own designed traps and he cuts the loop and throws them away when. It occurs

there are cheap copies of all traps out there and if you use these expecting human catches your deluding youraelf

the putange and talpex and some barrels  and the Fenn scissor when set properly are incredibly humane

• Like 4

I don’t think there’s ever a way of guaranteeing a perfect catch,we’ve all had some bad catches right?even when you have taken the time to set the trap as perfect as you can.if you set the traps your trying to catch moles  .   

32 minutes ago, Dave74 said:

I don’t think there’s ever a way of guaranteeing a perfect catch,we’ve all had some bad catches right?even when you have taken the time to set the trap as perfect as you can.if you set the traps your trying to catch moles  .   

Everyone has bad catches

even self serving mole gurus like Jeff nichols

however rather than moving on the important thing is to learn from it and not repeat the same mistakes

its also best not to publicise as I fear those in charge will be under great pressure to scrutinise us mole catchers a lot closer in the future

thats why the guild pisses me off they’re just making mole catchers fall out with each other when we should be more united

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 months later...
On 29/05/2018 at 19:08, tilimangro said:

Everyone has bad catches

even self serving mole gurus like Jeff nichols

however rather than moving on the important thing is to learn from it and not repeat the same mistakes

its also best not to publicise as I fear those in charge will be under great pressure to scrutinise us mole catchers a lot closer in the future

thats why the guild pisses me off they’re just making mole catchers fall out with each other when we should be more united

My intent was not to reply publicly on here anymore, ..but i felt compelled too here.  ha ha,......its of course ok, to criticise "jeff nichols" ? but i also believe he is well intentioned. & hes probably the most intelligent mole catcher ive ever come across & yes his priority is humaneness of operation & approach, above all else,.....but this doesnt suit alot of other mole catchers you see ? for a few reasons. (well, in my opinion, at least)   & NO,    im not a member of any mole catching organisation, & i knew about the prospect of the first at the concept stage, & had the opportunity to get involved, but declined. What you should also know is that Jeff isnt motivated ONLY for profit,......but thats certainly not the case for all the other associations that were formed since !!

On 29/05/2018 at 07:20, tilimangro said:

I’ve caught In a putange several times when I was on site still

everytine the mole was dead

all traps can give foul catches that is down to the operator and not the trap

even Jeff Nichols who seemingly wants to bring in mandatory 24 hour trap checking says he has foul catches with his own designed traps and he cuts the loop and throws them away when. It occurs

there are cheap copies of all traps out there and if you use these expecting human catches your deluding youraelf

the putange and talpex and some barrels  and the Fenn scissor when set properly are incredibly humane

From what ive just been educated about myself , fairly recently, youd be surprised what type of mole traps ACTUALLY ARE "incredibly humane" in reality, afterall ! (& i was just as ignorant as anybody else, in that regard)   & the wee "Fenn scissor" what , is the spring much improved nowadays ? compared to when i used them exclusively for a couple of years, many moons ago, when i didnt know any better !    lol

Edited by earth-thrower
3 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

My intent was not to reply publicly on here anymore, ..but i felt compelled too here.  ha ha,......its of course ok, to criticise "jeff nichols" ? but i also believe he is well intentioned. & hes probably the most intelligent mole catcher ive ever come across & yes his priority is humaneness of operation & approach, above all else,.....but this doesnt suit alot of other mole catchers you see ? for a few reasons. (well, in my opinion, at least)   & NO,    im not a member of any mole catching organisation, & i knew about the prospect of the first at the concept stage, & had the opportunity to get involved, but declined. What you should also know is that Jeff isnt motivated ONLY for profit,......but thats certainly not the case for all the other associations that were formed since !!

You’d have done well to stick to your guns in not replying publicly

The Apmc hasn’t charged its members for several seasons as far as it aware and fought Jeff tooth and nail on his ridiculous 24 hour mandatory trap checking

anyone doing one of Jeffs courses is told that the only trap they need is the barrel trap they also happen to be selling there 

they are also pushed to buy two probes and of all things a roller for ramping down the run

but no im sure you’re right jeffs not at all all about the money

some of his higher up members have been very vocal and publicly so about the only trap that should be legal is the trap that they endorse (what a surprise)

• Like 1