Fishing the Wye by Canoe, possible or not?

1 minute ago, jok said:

Jonah. I agree. However , is there, or is there not a Royal Decree. It would solve a few arguments. Jok.

I'll be honest Jok, tonight is the 1st time I've heard it, I know for a fact that Scotland has the most tolerant right to roam and access law's in the UK but, never heard of that applying to fishing until tonight...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As promised Tyla, just back from 2 days and 2 nights on the Wye. Brilliant little trip. We were a bit stuck for time so didn’t launch as high up as we wanted. We put in at Whitney bridge and paddled 1

Clubs only own the rights to fish from the bank, no one can stop you fishing while paddling down it?pull up by the green rope bridge and fish the biblins stretch, used to be my club water but wye and

Ignore them mate and craic on..... As long as you got a rod licence you be fine all they can do is ask you to move on ?

Posted Images

Jonah. Well pal, must be worth having a look. There are some legal eagles on here who I imagine could answer the question. However, look at it like someone who knows he / she is not allowed onto our land , I'e Vikings, Romans etc. They knew that their sheer might would get them onto  or into our little country. They were classed  then as enemy, threatening our land. However, they gained access through our coast and rivers. Now, supposing I wanted to fish the river Tweed with access from Berwick and got as far inland as my hometown, Melrose, would I, having caught a salmon, have broke any laws?. Similar to the question in the thread. Jok.

12 hours ago, white van man said:

I’m canoeing it in a couple of weekends time. Prob won’t fish it but will be on the lookout to head up another time. 

I hope the weather is kind to you. We are going mid May so any useful info you pick up on your trip would be great to hear

• 4 weeks later...

As promised Tyla, just back from 2 days and 2 nights on the Wye. Brilliant little trip. We were a bit stuck for time so didn’t launch as high up as we wanted. We put in at Whitney bridge and paddled 10 miles or so to Byecross. Plenty of people fly fishing from the banks. All the fisherman were friendly and chatty. The river was at a good level so we were shifting along. We  camped at Byecross farm, £7 each to camp. Showers, toilets and a 15 min walk to the pub. Second day we paddled to Lucksall campsite just below Mordiford. 20 miles ish.  Brilliant campsite. Decent cafe and bar. Less that £10 per person. Again on the second day we seen plenty of people fly fishing. There were a few course fishing about 3 miles down from Hereford near the bunch of carrots pub. Not sure on the rules but there’s plenty of places you could pull over and fish. Fishing from the canoe would be easy enough In most places especially when the river drops a bit and there is less flow. No hazards on the river other than trees on the sides. Stay towards the centre of the river and it’s fine. Will be heading up again soon to do the lower section. Mordiford to Monmouth. Will do the upper section with my boys at some point starting at Glasbury. Enjoy your trip. 

594CB5E9-6504-42F8-A037-DC5798BA9511.jpeg

27E7E559-6DF5-4D57-8996-12EF18D0A522.jpeg

A07E32E4-C2EC-4CCF-A250-4696A32FD3F8.jpeg

FD51276D-8735-46B2-849B-46B73D3303F3.jpeg

Edited by white van man
  • Like 8

Cheers mate. That looks like a really good trip. I can't wait to go now. If the weather is like this it will be amazing. We've got 5 days and 4 nights so should be able to do most of it in one hit i hope

2 hours ago, Tyla said:

Cheers mate. That looks like a really good trip. I can't wait to go now. If the weather is like this it will be amazing. We've got 5 days and 4 nights so should be able to do most of it in one hit i hope

Yeah plenty of time. The water had dropped a bit when we left the final day. Have you hired canoes? 

51 minutes ago, white van man said:

Yeah plenty of time. The water had dropped a bit when we left the final day. Have you hired canoes? 

No, we'll be taking our own. Im pondering between the sevylor inflatable and the sit on top. Loads of space in the sevylor but I've gone off it now I'm used to the hard kayak.

My mate will be taking an open canoe like yours.

How fast is the current? If it's fast the sluggishness of the sevylor won't matter

2 minutes ago, Tyla said:

No, we'll be taking our own. Im pondering between the sevylor inflatable and the sit on top. Loads of space in the sevylor but I've gone off it now I'm used to the hard kayak.

My mate will be taking an open canoe like yours.

How fast is the current? If it's fast the sluggishness of the sevylor won't matter

Think it will be hard work in the inflatable. The flow in places was half decent. Think we were easily doing 6-8 mph but that’s with 2 in the boat paddling. A couple of places were a scrape so not sure how the inflatable would do. 

The sevylor is indestructible, it would be my canoe of choice for bumping about in the shallows. It does suffer from wind though and doesn't track anything like as well as a rigid. I think I'll go with the sit on top and just take less stuff