Fishing the Wye by Canoe, possible or not?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As promised Tyla, just back from 2 days and 2 nights on the Wye. Brilliant little trip. We were a bit stuck for time so didn’t launch as high up as we wanted. We put in at Whitney bridge and paddled 1

Clubs only own the rights to fish from the bank, no one can stop you fishing while paddling down it?pull up by the green rope bridge and fish the biblins stretch, used to be my club water but wye and

Ignore them mate and craic on..... As long as you got a rod licence you be fine all they can do is ask you to move on ?

Posted Images

Presuming you mean the Hereford/Welsh wye I have done exactly what you are doing. The fishing was discreet. I dont think a whole river ticket exists but the wye and usk foundation offers day tickets for many stretches but as your in a canoe it wouldn’t work. I have canoed it without fishing a hell of a lot, and do fish it occasionally through the w&u foundation when not canoeing, a magnificent river, my most favourite. My advice being both a fisherman and canoer would be to do the two separately 

Clubs only own the rights to fish from the bank, no one can stop you fishing while paddling down it?pull up by the green rope bridge and fish the biblins stretch, used to be my club water but wye and Usk took over, now its a private syndicate with a 3 yr waiting list. What I will say is have some respect if lads are fishing from the bank and pass them on opposite bank?course fishing ended on 14 th of march for the wye so may need a rod licence for salmon etc to cover your arse?happy fishing bud?my best day at biblins I banked 19 barbel nothing under 8 lb biggest 15lb plus?

• Like 4

The Wye and usk foundation mailed me back. They say that we can't fish from canoes and would have to fish from the bank and pay for a day ticket on each stretch. 

It seems a shame as I'd have been happy to pay as I think it's good to fund organisations like that. 

If we want to fish we'll have to be discrete I guess

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

The Wye and usk foundation mailed me back. They say that we can't fish from canoes and would have to fish from the bank and pay for a day ticket on each stretch. 

It seems a shame as I'd have been happy to pay as I think it's good to fund organisations like that. 

If we want to fish we'll have to be discrete I guess

Ignore them mate and craic on..... As long as you got a rod licence you be fine all they can do is ask you to move on ?

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, jok said:

Is there not a Royal decree that allows the common man to fish providing he does not trespass.? Certainly there is North of the Border. Jok.

I paddled down it a few years ago, beautiful river. Quite shallow and clear in places but plenty of places to tie off and chill for a bit.

As far as a royal decree north of the border...there's a few salmon rivers I'd imagine that would be hotly debated!