3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Collie

Long time no post. Apolagies if this has been done before but on the 14th April i goto collect my dream dog of 12 years a 3/4 Greyhound 1/4  Border Collie from Hancock. I dont want to turn this into a hancock bashing thread it has been done thousends of times, i understand he may not be everyones cup of tea but i went to him as i knew exactly in my fickle little mind exactly what i wanted - A smooth coated blue merle 3/4 greyhound (im female i like pretty things) ... and with Hancock you can gaurentee youll get what you want make up wise. Hoping to enter the dog in obdience first and foremost, agilty and maybe daytime bunnies as a spare time filler (will be my first real working dog) . He will be living indoors and be a pampered pooch. I work from home so will have ample time to put into the pup. I havnt had a pup since i since i was about 9yr old (bloody unexcepted rescue dogs) puppy training advice appricated esp recall. I was just  sniffing around to ask what are peoples opinions on the 3/4 cross in regards to trainabilty, temprement, ect.cdazy? Nyper? Laid back? Stubborn?  Also any pics greatly appriciated. Esp of your Merles.Give me your write ups/experiances! 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 grey 1/4 collie out of chuckles 1987.Temperament ok obedience very easy to train nose wise excellent.

I was after a 3 quarter greyhound quarter collie couldn’t get one anywhere so when to Hancock the bitch I got suited me fine she works with Gun ferrets lamping good hunter Carnt fault the bitch. 

There's a couple there. My sd card corrupted and I lost a lot of photos.  But there's a few of him. Bullet proof temperament couldn't get better.  And whilst all the other pups was on my fee

Posted Images

No pics from me sorry, don't even have a camera lol. But if you're main interest is in obedience I'd go for a pup with more collie in it than a 1/4.  Should be easier to train and be more responsive than a 3/4 bred.  Seen quite a few over the years, and my lad has one now, 3/4 grey by merlin, and he's been pretty easy to train and is turning into a very useful dog. And he's not hyper or stubborn, and is pretty laid back.  I had a dog in the late 80's that hancock's taffy, border/beardie, was the sire to, and although he caught me plenty of hares and deer, the twat did my head in more than being a pleasure to own lol.  He wasn't from hancocks, his dam was a lurcher x lurcher but very greyhoundy.  And that was from his original line of beardies, but he's still having the same complaints about alot of his current dogs with beardie in.

Personally I'd never have a dog with beardie blood in ever again, mine, and seen plenty over the years, that give their owners plenty of mental anguish lol.  Good luck with your pup :thumbs:.

PS  not assuming yor pup has beardie blood in it, just letting you know how alot of the dogs with beardie in from there turn out like.

Probably have a posse of beardie lurcher owners on my case now! Lol :thumbs:

• Like 2

I've got a halfx beardie by him, coming up 4 now, and while he wouldn't be everyones cup of tea he suits me. (I'm 64 and want a quiet life).

I was after a rabbiting dog and he has turned into a good ferreting dog but lacks a bit of pace for lamping. He's got a nose that would put some spaniels to shame and was ridiculously easy to train. He's taken some heavy knocks and hit wire at speed on occasion but so far has proved to be bulletproof, the only vets bill I've had was for stitching a pad

He's very submissive to other dogs and although he chases things that bite back he makes sure he doesn't catch up with them, which suits me as some places i go have cats and such.

As far as typical collie traits go, I'm sure he would be obsessive if I was daft enough to throw a ball constantly, but I don't so he isn't. He's skittish at times, doesn't like having his feet touched and barks at the slightest noise in the house, but in general is calm and nowhere near as clingy as some I've seen. Maybe thats because I don't go all out with training, as long as my dog will come when called, sit and stay thats all I ask.

To sum up, he's exactly the type of dog I wanted. Would I have another? Yes, but a three quarter cross probably, just to inject that bit of speed he lacks

• Like 1

should be ok 1/4 collie plenty , and 3/4 grey will give it a nice steady calm temp, and in the house it will bond that bit better with you, regards hancock   what put me off his dogs is they  never seen a feckin rabbit in there life there  in there kennel  24/7 . i rather get a pup from dogs that  done something ,  there plenty of lurcher x lurcher  dogs out there that caught rabbits, i would have looked there 1st. But you prob be ok with the type of breeding with your pup, best of luck with it, keep us updated with and few pics .:thumbs:  

I think the reason he’s still going is the agility/flyball /country set 

but if you go on pets4homes every week for a year your see same adverts / descriptions /numbers and locations become recognaisable there’s plenty of people peddling lurcher pups from unwirked Parents an their prices are creeping up with some going for £400 /£750! A pup 

collie crosses an bedlington whippets being the main ones .

Thanks guys. No Beardie in this one he is sired by Albus. I have browsed gumtree/pets4homes for the past 8-10 months but nothing popped up that took my fancy. Some had a dash of Saluki here, bit of Bull there. This dog had to be either a straight cross or 3/4 bred. I chose the 3/4 over the 1/2 cross as i didnt want to be overwhelmed by Colloe traits. My uncle had A Border it was a fecking head doer it would circle, stalk anything. A newspaper in your hand, bits of dust in the sunlight, feet, anything. He exercised it well but itd still come home and circle the coffee table for hours, focusing on a cup or something stupid. I love all dogs but i seriously wudnt have give it house room it needed to be channeld. But he had it 10 years n love it so kudos to the guy. A 1/4 collie is plenty enough for me there with the 3/4 speed for a bit of lure racing. I hope to see some of you at countryshows :thumbs:

8 hours ago, FastDogz said:

Long time no post. Apolagies if this has been done before but on the 14th April i goto collect my dream dog of 12 years a 3/4 Greyhound 1/4  Border Collie from Hancock. I dont want to turn this into a hancock bashing thread it has been done thousends of times, i understand he may not be everyones cup of tea but i went to him as i knew exactly in my fickle little mind exactly what i wanted - A smooth coated blue merle 3/4 greyhound (im female i like pretty things) ... and with Hancock you can gaurentee youll get what you want make up wise. Hoping to enter the dog in obdience first and foremost, agilty and maybe daytime bunnies as a spare time filler (will be my first real working dog) . He will be living indoors and be a pampered pooch. I work from home so will have ample time to put into the pup. I havnt had a pup since i since i was about 9yr old (bloody unexcepted rescue dogs) puppy training advice appricated esp recall. I was just  sniffing around to ask what are peoples opinions on the 3/4 cross in regards to trainabilty, temprement, ect.cdazy? Nyper? Laid back? Stubborn?  Also any pics greatly appriciated. Esp of your Merles.Give me your write ups/experiances! 

Best to pm shaddy off here he's a wealth of knowledge on hancocks and really rates them 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Best to pm shaddy off here he's a wealth of knowledge on hancocks and really rates them 

Theres only one man on here with the knowledge more than everyone put together 

Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 1