Miss fire.

Hey guys, I was out the other day with my old . 22 browning t-bolt, I've had it years and is my every day work horse. I've never had any problems, it's well maintained, to my capabilities, and still a true reliable rifle, only during the cold snap - 5, I had two misfires, the pin never even struck. I cycled the remaining ammo, reloaded the misfires and no problem, cracked them no problem. Never had this before! I know it's probably time I took it in for an overhaul, but the nearest gunsmith is a ferry ride and a day away, then I'd have to leave it, then the same to collect it.

Hate to say it but I've lost confidence in the old horse! 

Any ideas anyone? Pics attached with the oil I always used. 

Many thanks. 

tmp-cam-823199062.jpg

tmp-cam-165957042.jpg

Get the bolt flushed with a solvent and dried. Better still strip it down. Petrol, turps or WD. It will be a build up of bullet lube, gas residue and unhurt particles impeding the firing pin. The cold turns it to tar!

U.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Get the bolt flushed with a solvent and dried. Better still strip it down. Petrol, turps or WD. It will be a build up of bullet lube, gas residue and unhurt particles impeding the firing pin. The cold turns it to tar!

U.

Aye, normally a soak in red diesal and a blow out with the compressor then re-oil. Other bolts come apart pretty easy, this thing has a central pivot pin on the cocking action I'm not tempted to knock out, the only thing I'm confident in removing really is the ejector pin spring, but that doesn't grant access to the firing pin or main spring. 

I've looked at the napier solvent/oil but don't want to be too aggressive. 

I  had a had a similar problem with my Mossberg pump action shotgun. The bolt mechanism was really noisy so I sprayed it with sticky chain lubricant. Worked a treat but one day when it was really cold I had a misfire. I thought  that the hammer spring  had broken but it was just a case of the cold lubricant. Stripped action, cleaned it out with petrol   soaked overnight and sloshed in container which flushed out loads of crud. Reassembled bolt into Acton and applied light oil. Never had another problem. That was 12 bore. Sometimes 22 rf just missfire. Something to do with the batch and the primer. Turn the case round and somtimes they fire . Ive had this with my Anschutz target rifle and eley match. What ammo are you using that has had this probĺem?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Meece said:

I  had a had a similar problem with my Mossberg pump action shotgun. The bolt mechanism was really noisy so I sprayed it with sticky chain lubricant. Worked a treat but one day when it was really cold I had a misfire. I thought  that the hammer spring  had broken but it was just a case of the cold lubricant. Stripped action, cleaned it out with petrol   soaked overnight and sloshed in container which flushed out loads of crud. Reassembled bolt into Acton and applied light oil. Never had another problem. That was 12 bore. Sometimes 22 rf just missfire. Something to do with the batch and the primer. Turn the case round and somtimes they fire . Ive had this with my Anschutz target rifle and eley match. What ammo are you using that has had this probĺem?

I use cci mini mags, it wasn't the ammo though, the pin actually never struck, no marks on the rim what so ever. 

If there was no pin Mark then it has either got clagged up with grease and bits of brass or something has broken  or come adrift in the bolt. Soak The bolt in petrol Or similar and work it. It is amazing how much clag gets into a bolt. Clean bolt face. Then operate pin by moving it into fire position. Or put spent case into chamber. Fire and measure depth of strike. Be safe. If you get another misfire take bullet out and rotate it and safely fire again. Note pin marks. Snap off bullet and see if there is any powder in the case.  But no pin strike indicates bolt, pin, spring fault. Not ammo.

I ment to get back on this a while ago.

I took it out a couple of days later when the air temperature was around 6c, without doing any thing to the bolt at all, fired fifty shots off down the beach, no misfires at all, or since.

I'm not saying that there is no accumulation of crud, but as a general conclusion I am thinking a contributing factor was the -5 temperature.

Without being able to remove the central pivot pin to gain access to the main spring and pin, I have a tin of Napier gun cleaner, so it will get a good blast, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Gav.