On 4/7/2018 at 15:31, Kerny92 said:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jwmg.21261

Our simulations show that selective harvesting can alter the evolutionary fate of populations, and can result in declines in trophy size

Genuinely that’s a really interesting study! Thanks for taking the time to post. I’ve skim read on my poxy phone and will do it proper justice later and comment again.

Off the bat I’d like to see this theory benchmarked with empirical data. It was after all a study of a simulated environment. Perhaps Colton et al shows that, though this paper conflicts a bit with the findings of that one by allegedly two orders of magnitude.

I know well the power of computer simulations. I’m writing a paper now on work that used simulations and getting great results. So I won’t dismiss based on that! Theory and simulations are great, it’s the assumptions that will flaw the results!

One assumption I’m not sure is valid is,

We assume that in the absence of hunting, the trophy is not under selection in either sex and is consequently not evolvingand,

We assume random mating and calculate...

How can they completely ignore the selective pressures that produce the horn size in the first place? This makes me really suspicious of the work because in the absence of the selective pressures that evolved such horn size in the first place then of course when introducing a pressure that culls that trait the evolutionary impact will be to eliminate it.

Again, thanks, this will occupy a few hours of my time!

Edited by Born Hunter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunno if this will work...  

Great it does work. Here’s a f***ing Jaguar treed up!   

I think if one of these really wanted you its game over.....  

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

Just look at the size of those beauties, i think the Cougar can reach bigger sizes than the Leopard.

wonder what they been eating regular  to get to that size,?  i know they take few deer , and kill dogs, they must get constant food chain to  get that big, as they dont look like they struggling for food .

14 minutes ago, bird said:

wonder what they been eating regular  to get to that size,?  i know they take few deer , and kill dogs, they must get constant food chain to  get that big, as they dont look like they struggling for food .

They look bigger than what they are, they will be around the 200lb - 220lb mark if i were to guess. Still as big as a man mind and much more impressive.

Edited by Kerny92