Pure Greyhound

People work pure Whippet’s, Saluki’s even deerhounds, so why is a breed that is free of almost all genetical impairments and has been bred for hundreds of years to be the fastest breed on earth and is the base and sometimes the majority of almost every lurcher so rarely raised as a lurcher?! 

Edited by jon15
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, jon15 said:

People work pure Whippet’s, Saluki’s even deerhounds, so why is a breed that is free of almost all genetical impairments and has been bred for hundreds of years to be the fastest breed on earth and is the base and sometimes the majority of almost every lurcher so rarely raised as a lurcher?! 

Cause there shit , they only run round a nice soft track and get injured ffs imagine them on some proper ground 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, jon15 said:

Good question there stamina isn't always good and some are so fast there legs fly off think whips get away with more being lighter but some grey s weigh a tun on any ground that's not flat the 1 I used to go out with would fold up the whip/grey tho could run anywhere 

12 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

So has anyone raised one like a lurcher? A lot of people are quick to shout they are shite but can’t answer the original question. Big difference from taking on a ex racer. 

Yes I have,...caught plenty of gear,.(Hares and Roe) but it was always heart in mouth stuff,..exciting, but to enjoy the hunt, you did require some Valium:whistling:

However,  I still think a well balanced, average sized, cobby style of Greyhound to be one hell of a canine...:yes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

So has anyone raised one like a lurcher? A lot of people are quick to shout they are shite but can’t answer the original question. Big difference from taking on a ex racer. 

Your right the 1 I'm on about was x track so no

My old man used to race greyhounds when I was a kid, but he ruined a few working them as well from what he tells me. The two pure racing greys i can remember first-hand faired differently, the first a good grade one track dog (sprint) ended up towards the end of his track career with fair few toes missing and despite his ability in the field he was knocked up a fair bit. The second which I went out with a fair bit, a smaller but solid bitch (out and our stayer in greyhound terms) never had much trouble tbh but and I suppose it's a big but they were all run on sensible ground. The same sprint dog did produce, from what my oldman tells me (I was a toddler) some excellent lurchers, when x with the old grey deerhound types and he and my uncle had a pair of rough coated lurchers off him which were far more durable and better dogs. 

Edited by matt1979
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jon15 said:

Pure greyhounds are amazing but very different dogs to x greyhounds. Unlike whippets, salukis, deerhounds or lurchers they are proper athletes and need to be respected as proper athletes. Raising a greyhound as a lurcher means simply putting the right dog in wrong situations. However raising a lurcher with a lot of greyhound in it without understanding the greyhound bit of the mix is I think one of the major reasons why so many young dogs are discarded. 

• Like 3

I raised a greyhound from a pup as a worker,was shit on rabbits,constantly tripping over.Caught couple of hares and very good on the big hopping things here,very loyal dog and good snake killer.Every hunting trip would come back with bleeding ,chopped up feet and had little survival instinct,so seemed cruel to work him.Kept him as a pet and was a very good guard dog.All in all a very brave dog but not suitable for the bush here.I beg to differ about whippets not being athletes as pj caswell said,to me there the ultimate athlete just a lot tougher than a grey,a least the whips I've had were.

• Like 1

English Greyhounds are bred to race not hunt, would you take a formula one car to a rally?

You would take some of the technology of the F1 and put it in a road car to develop a rally car just as we use greyhound genes to create a lurcher.

I've worked greys with some success but all would be bettered by a decent lurcher.

There are types of greyhound around the world that are still used for hunting/coursing but ours is going beyond its original use.

• Like 3

My uncle worked two pure greyhound pups and they went on to take all UK game preban, lamped well and good ferreting dogs as well, be honest I'd like to get a pure pup and I'm sure it would turn out OK, one of my uncle's dogs was demon on fox atb