Sting in the tail

Hi, new here so just a quick one, I came across a box of .22 cci stingers, has anyone used them I can’t for the life of me work out what you would use them for, the crack of them sounds like my 17hmr and the group somewhere in a foot square 

I had a box just to see what they were like, they go out to 75 yds and didn't have to alter my scope from the mini mags at 50 yds. I only tried them as they were going cheap, won't be bothering with them again, I prefer mini mags, but each to their own, they obviously hit harder, higher velocity and a lighter grain projectile. 

The fastest 22 ever made but unfortunately not many barrels like them!

Did you know the case is actually longer too, quite unique.

The only rifle that shot them very well was a Remington 597. 

I shot a fox or two many years ago with a Krico and they worked well but in all honesty no better than any other hunting round!

I won't mention the longest distance I shot a rabbit at  with a 22 but it was with the Remington 597 and a stinger!

U.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Cliff Ray said:

I tried them many years ago and still have most of them left. They are perfect for when you don't want the aggravation of having to pick up whatever you were aiming at......

I got that impression with them, I had a few shots at 50yards through my little cz, the target was drawn on a4 paper, some of them didn’t even hit the paper, I’m going to put this down to the stingers because that little cz will fire anythanything

Should have mentioned my little workhorse is a browning t-bolt, and I only ever target shot the stingers, at 50yds they are 3 mil dot higher but level out at 75yds, if I'm shooting out past 50 yds I use my .222, so no point me having any just for that purpose. I only tried them as our local gunsmith got them and asked me to give them ago, for £3 a box I jumped at the chance, I think they're £7 - £7.50 a box normally? 

I’ve used stingers but never found them very accurate at anything other than short range. I’ve shot rats and squirrels under feeders and they work well when they connect. I also used the Winchester xpediters. They’re very similar to stingers, the early ones were 29 grain and faster than stingers, later ones were 32 grain with the same specs as stingers. They also had the longer silver case like a stinger, but they had a crimp half way down the case.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

The fastest 22 ever made but unfortunately not many barrels like them!

Did you know the case is actually longer too, quite unique.

The only rifle that shot them very well was a Remington 597. 

I shot a fox or two many years ago with a Krico and they worked well but in all honesty no better than any other hunting round!

I won't mention the longest distance I shot a rabbit at  with a 22 but it was with the Remington 597 and a stinger!

U.

Ah go on, I'm intrigued now.

Rabbits over 50 yards I use a larger caliber, I like the .22 for head shots up to 50 yards, so less meat damage for the pot. 

43 minutes ago, Gav said:

Ah go on, I'm intrigued now.

Rabbits over 50 yards I use a larger caliber, I like the .22 for head shots up to 50 yards, so less meat damage for the pot. 

No mate, not going there, to much hassle in the past on forums.

Personally I use a 22 further than 50yds, that's airgun capabilities IMO. 100yds plus was the norm for me when I was shooting alot of rabbit, older eyes and less practice nowadays makes me get closer but if little choice to get closer is available I will still attempt a longish shot for a 22.

These young crows were shot at well over 100yds off hand with Winchester lasers a couple of years ago.

pufhpm9t.jpg

U.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Only real issue with .22 and range is fox. Nobody's going to say you shouldn't have taken the shot against a rabbit. Rabbits take very little energy to kill. Biggest issue with rabbits and birds and .22rf at range is bullet drop. I'm going to hazard a guess and say 225yds.