when experienced terrier lads pass away.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It s good that there s still younger lads coming through , but I watched a few lads out and noticed a few things that made me cringe . Maybe I’m set in my ways to much. First was dog in then box was o

Not really,  apart from little bits of advice and being told to leave off your youngsters what can you learn unless you're out there doing it. I'll happily give advice to anyone that asks, the tr

If the dog is staying there aint too much more to know or am I wrong all these years. I like to get a spade between combatants to save injuries but others seem to revel in combat Seen some bad choices

A vet told me to never give pain killers to a dog with a working injury , as it masked the pain and made the dogs a lots less cautious, resulting in them banging  themselves or jumping about making injuries worst or making them heal slower 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Glyn..... said:

A vet told me to never give pain killers to a dog with a working injury , as it masked the pain and made the dogs a lots less cautious, resulting in them banging  themselves or jumping about making injuries worst or making them heal slower 

Correct Glynn, yet in moderation with a trained eye makes a big difference, as you know. 

11 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

Is your vet talking about Morphine or something?

Rimadyl or Metacam aren't that powerful that a dog is going to be unaware. But they will be more comfortable and reduced swelling will increase blood flow and speed up wound healing.

I wouldn't use it to get a lurcher back galloping sooner, but for terriers there's big benefits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Is your vet talking about Morphine or something?

Rimadyl or Metacam aren't that powerful that a dog is going to be unaware. But they will be more comfortable and reduced swelling will increase blood flow and speed up wound healing.

I wouldn't use it to get a lurcher back galloping sooner, but for terriers there's big benefits.

just pain killers , his view was dogs don't know they have been given pain killers they know the pain has gone so instead of being careful with themselves they may damage themselves more because the injury is masked but still there , your doctor doesn't say take these pain killers and all  is fine he tell you steady up for a few days , vet may tell the dog that but it may not understand ,  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

just pain killers , his view was dogs don't know they have been given pain killers they know the pain has gone so instead of being careful with themselves they may damage themselves more because the injury is masked but still there , your doctor doesn't say take these pain killers and all  is fine he tell you steady up for a few days , vet may tell the dog that but it may not understand ,  

The same could be said for humans but that's not the case, if it aids comfort it's a no brainer IMO.

On 3/14/2018 at 19:13, Glyn..... said:

In fairness Glyn its their head and face that 99% of the time take a little bit so its not as if their going to go around banging the their head of a wall or such. When a terrier takes a bit and its laid up and sore I can't see any harm in helping to comfort it a little using a mild pain killer jmho.

• Like 3
On 3/14/2018 at 21:29, Glyn..... said:

each to there own i'll stay with what my vet has told me , i wont go against what he says as i could get done for not getting my terriers proper treatment from a vet , its a minefield 

Now Glyn no need to state the obvious as we all get proper treatment for our dogs when they need it but sometimes they don't always need vetenary attention and a good job too as them vets sure know how to charge.

• Like 1

I go digging with my Vet. Reckons he learns as much if not more from old countrymen be it hounds, terriers,finchs,, greyhounds, burds etc. than was ever thought it University.

But he still has his uses and ain't bad on the shovel. Just Lazy

• Like 3
23 hours ago, fat man said:

Now Glyn no need to state the obvious as we all get proper treatment for our dogs when they need it but sometimes they don't always need vetenary attention and a good job too as them vets sure know how to charge.

Fat man stating the obvious is what is done on forums, what is  obvious and common knowledge to many it isn't to newbi's many may not know that one of the easiest ways the rspca take peoples dogs is because they have not taken them to be treated by a vet 

• Like 1
On 3/15/2018 at 21:34, Glyn..... said:

Fat man stating the obvious is what is done on forums, what is  obvious and common knowledge to many it isn't to newbi's many may not know that one of the easiest ways the rspca take peoples dogs is because they have not taken them to be treated by a vet 

I agree with you Glyn but not only are you educating the terrier lads that are not in the know your also educating the antis as 90% of the c**ts have not a clue of the laws. That's what gets me on here and im not referring to you Glyn but the amount of lads that come on here asking stupid questions that 90% of the time are illegal on an open forum instead of just doing what they have to do and no one the wiser for it but instead they have to tell the world and draw unwanted attention upon themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I heard a man say that he thought that some dogs got broke on the bench.

It wasnt something that I had thought of before, but if it does happen, then maybe the use of pain killers when required might go some way to prevent it?