Hunting with an air rifle, - PCP Vs Springer.

5 minutes ago, Rez said:

I thought about you actually as this post occurred, knowing you've gone all boingy :) ... Perhaps what Mark was saying about his RFD and customers preferring spring products to PCP is similar to you Viz, PCP gets a bit stale after some time. 

Seems it’s each to there own Rez, live & let live, I was ready to pack in shooting altogether , but decided on getting back into shooting a good springer as I find it more challenging to my ability, I know I can shoot as much with the prosport as any pcp I’ve had & the satisfaction I will get will boost my interest.

• Like 3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if im turning up at a new perm or a perm with a serious problem I'll take a pcp and wipe out as many as I can.... but if is a chilled keep it under control and show your face it'll be a springer

As always Simon, a well written post. For those of you who do not really know Simon, he is an exceptional springer shooter and to see him in action is something to behold. I remember when Simon u

Well this topic appeals to me, I have shot at targets & hunted,with both pcp & springers, Both with good results on the right days, I’ve had some great pcp rifles which at times are very usefu

Posted Images

Just now, vizlauk said:

Seems it’s each to there own Rez, live & let live, I was ready to pack in shooting altogether , but decided on getting back into shooting a good springer as I find it more challenging to my ability, I know I can shoot as much with the prosport as any pcp I’ve had & the satisfaction I will get will boost my interest.

Pack in all together?! Never! 

16 minutes ago, vizlauk said:

Well this topic appeals to me, I have shot at targets & hunted,with both pcp & springers, Both with good results on the right days, I’ve had some great pcp rifles which at times are very useful, quite multi shots, given you a quick easy second shot third etc, for when you duff a shot or your in a prime location with six rabbits in very close proximity of each other & you can rapidly dispatch the lot, but I’ve been in the same situation wacking 100+ crows with a pocket full of pellets, cocking ,loading & holding a good spring rifle that has a bit soul, both of which give you the adrenaline boost you search for, there are modern & classic springers that can and will shoot as quite and accurate as any pcp, I would say the only advantage of a pcp would be shooting from a vehicle where space is limited for loading, and I’ve just got rid of my pcps and gone back to a springer as it suits me & my shooting permissions & range shooting.

me and my mate shoot springers out of the front windows of his vw work van, its a bit of a mission but good fun... he loves his prosport to and would never get rid of it!

hes had his 100 for over 10 year but I only ever see it when we go rat bashing!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rez said:

Pack in all together?! Never! 

Rez , I normally shoot lefty, I can shoot right handed aswell, but I need a little extra  height on the scope mounts to get my right eye in comfortable, jimmy fetched a couple of scopes over tonight to try on the prosport both 40mm low mounts were no good , high worked great for the eye, I’m actually thinking about a 4-16x50 Hawke eve or something along that line, 

• Like 1
Just now, vizlauk said:

Rez , I normally shoot lefty, I can shoot right handed aswell, but I need a little extra  height on the scope mounts to get my right eye in comfortable, jimmy fetched a couple of scopes over tonight to try on the prosport both 40mm low mounts were no good , high worked great for the eye, I’m actually thinking about a 4-16x50 Hawke eve or something along that line, 

Get one bought then mukka.

So, that Mk1 of yours... the one you promised me... you know the one... Im ready to drive up and pick that up this weekend... yeah? :D 

1 minute ago, Rez said:

Get one bought then mukka.

So, that Mk1 of yours... the one you promised me... you know the one... Im ready to drive up and pick that up this weekend... yeah? :D 

You were offered the mk1 a few times, which you never accepted, it was sold the other day mate, all my pcps are now gone & may never own another 

• Sad 1

The way look at is would i go back using a  screwdriver  or cordless screwdriver  all day long in my job  

I like shooting spring guns but not for hunting when i have a better tool for the job as i don't do static or hide shooting of sticks . This just my opinion 

Just now, vizlauk said:

You were offered the mk1 a few times, which you never accepted, it was sold the other day mate, all my pcps are now gone & may never own another 

I was and fair point. Right gun, right seller, wrong times. Thats all. In all honesty, I aint got the funds, gotta pay for 2 new f'kin tyres on the car. Soon though. When you get your next one :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, villaman said:

The way look at is would i go back using a  screwdriver  or cordless screwdriver  all day long in my job  

I like shooting spring guns but not for hunting when i have a better tool for the job as i don't do static or hide shooting of sticks . This just my opinion 

That’s s fair comment, on a normal shooting session/ night shoot , how many shots do you fire , say at rabbits 

12 minutes ago, vizlauk said:

That’s s fair comment, on a normal shooting session/ night shoot , how many shots do you fire , say at rabbits 

Not that many but like others have said , you can get another shot off quicker if needed . If i was shooting of a pod or sticks in a hide with a stable platform at no more than 40 yards  then yes i would use a springer as well .

Most of my shooting in the field is off the knee at ranges from 30 -  50  yards ,no way i can shoot a springer   at that range without a stable support  

1 minute ago, villaman said:

Not that many but like others have said , you can get another shot off quicker if needed . If i was shooting of a pod or sticks in a hide with a stable platform at no more tan 40 yards  then yes i would use a springer as well .

Most of my shooting in the field is off the knee at ranges from 30 -  50  yards ,no way i can shoot a springer   at that range without a stable support  

Well I’ve been out many a night shooting & the only shots I’ve fired are the few to check my zero, sometimes not a shot at vermin at all, so to me it makes no difference if I’ve got a multi shot pcp or a springer, I also shoot freehand, no bipod shots or sticks used that’s pcp or springer, and I will happily take safe kill zone shots up to 60yrds with my proven & tested Gun of choice. 

7 minutes ago, vizlauk said:

Well I’ve been out many a night shooting & the only shots I’ve fired are the few to check my zero, sometimes not a shot at vermin at all, so to me it makes no difference if I’ve got a multi shot pcp or a springer, I also shoot freehand, no bipod shots or sticks used that’s pcp or springer, and I will happily take safe kill zone shots up to 60yrds with my proven & tested Gun of choice. 

You are a far better shot with a springer than me then fair play , i'm ok up to about 45 yards on targets with my .22  95 or 97 of the knee 

5 minutes ago, villaman said:

You are a far better shot with a springer than me then fair play , i'm ok up to about 45 yards on targets with my .22  95 or 97 of the knee 

You two are making me think a bit now. Im would consider myself a half decent shot, from my preferred shooting position, either springer, 98 or 97, Ill ping 5 pees all day long at any distance within reason, but, take me out of my comfort zone, like the knee, or prone, Im wank, standing supported is kinda ok. Its something I must work on though. Viz. 60 paces, when stance are you shooting? Thats a long way man.

Iv seen this man shoot a spring rifle PS,,TX,,97,,and so on

and boy can he shoot one honest lads he is good

iv got jobs to do and a pcp is the way to go when a job needs done

and the hw100 is the one to do just that ,

BUT i can shoot a spring rifle just the same but the PS and 97 are my fav,s

just some thing about them .

and a target ether vermin or target out to 60mtrs is not a problem to me or viz

as we have both proven to each other time and time again ,

Im pleased viz has not given up shooting he is my shooting partner and has been for years 

we are like brothers we may not be blood but he is family end of

it would not be the same with out him ,

funny thing is when we hit the perms we split and its not often we walk together once in a blue moon

but just knowing he is there is all i need to know lol

and he can fill a bag just as good with a spring rifle as a pcp

iv seen him do it loads of times .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

Once bought an hw80. 22 and a 177 pro sport

took a rabbit out at 50yrds with the PS free standing one shot one kill

even viz shouted out what a fecking shot ...the rabbit just put its head down and went to sleep

Apart from setting the zero on the hw80 the first 5 shots out of it hunting was 5 rabbits sitting next to each other

i took them all one after the other viz saw this as well .

I took both rifles back to the rfd the next day and got rid as they were not for me

some thing that i got it in the neck off viz for lol

at the time i did not get on with 177 and as for the hw80 i dont like brake barrel rifles lol

apart from the hw35 i may keep the next one i get lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: