New gun, almost there................

As a few of you know, I am wanting a sub 12 .22 for ratting in some new perms we have picked up and the Impact fac is a little too much. The weeks have passed by while I have been thinking about which one to go for and sometimes going round in circles but I have narrowed it down to two guns.

Up until a few days ago, I very nearly bought a sub 12 Impact with both .177 and .22 barrels, just 6 months old and still in warranty but £1500 is a lot of money for a retired ole tart like me so despite it eating at my head, I have put that to one side (I think I have anyway). After chats with Mitch and Si along with a few others, the final list of two are the HW110 and FX Streamline both .22.

I have had a play with the HW110 to get used to the mag loading and yes it is a bit weird at first but it doesn't take long to get used to it, just a pity the mag is only 10 shot instead of 14 on the HW100. Why the 110, well the balance is better with the barrel / air cylinder set further back giving the same shot count as the long version HW100 but without the extra weight. I had considered the HW100 in carbine version and have a Ratworks cylinder fitted but that just adds to the price.

The Streamline has a good shot count and ideal for ratting and very light in weight. The mag for .22 is only an 11 shot and I am sure extra mags are going to be a bit on the pricey side but not much I can do about that. It is a shame none of my local dealers sell the Streamline or at least carry them in stock which doesn't really bother me but it would have been nice to have a play with one.

My buddy is collecting his HW110 tomorrow and I will be with him so I dare say I will be having a bit more play time before we leave the rfd.

I should be looking to purchase during the next two weeks and admit that I am looking forward to it.

Phil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Phil as you know im a big fan of the hw100

and mine and Ethan's hw100 carbine sporter is perfect the way it is

i was going to get a new lighter cylinder for it

but as you know im a big lad and like a rifle with a bit wait behind them

it helps me steady the rifle when shooting as with a lighter rifle im all over the place

Mind there was a time i would not look at a hw100 of any format or cal

I was going to fit the new glass iv got coming on to the 100 but the set up on the hw100 is so good

im going to fit it to the raider and put the scopes off the raider onto my hw97 .

Any way iv never yet( apart from target shooting ) ran out of air out in the field

If your going with your mate to the rfd,s have a look at the hw100 sporter carbine

its not as heavy as the kt or the full length versions 

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Cheers Jimmy

We have taken a rat perm which is megga with thousands of rats and I do mean thousands so the need for a large shot count is important otherwise I will be back to car for a fill more than I really want and this is where the Impact would have been amazing at 700 shot count and 18 shot mag.

It is not set in stone Jim but if I did go for another HW100, it would be the KT or I would need to reshape the grip on the sporter as I really don't find them very comfortable in the hand as they are designed to have your thumb on top of the grip and I am an old shotgun man who like to wrap my hand around the grip.

Phil

• Like 1

they do a 16shot mag for the .177 now Phil and you'll still get about 200 shots with the streamline....

after swapping to .177 for ease of mag filling from the wc im not sure ill go back to .22 for the rats!

them express pellets are propper forgiving compared to .22

atb si

• Like 3

Night shooting on rats, I would definitely go HW 100 KT. OR KS .177 ( trajectory, very tight shots).

Should a refill be required,- so what ?

Is a pcp your final option Phil ? No spring rifle in mind at all ?

Good luck with your choices :good:

No springer Mark. If I ever get another springer it will be for the range not hunting.

A scorpion with an Airtech or Ratworks tuning job could be interesting but to be very honest, I just dislike rear bolt action, give me a side lever any day of the week.

Phil

• Like 1

I went to pick up a 110 today that my pal ordered yesterday and then set a new scope up for him and sorted zero. This was a .22 which shot really well and will be ideal for the rats around stables, farm buildings etc.

I thought of the .22  for myself ideal for this sort of work although for some time I only used a .177 HW100, Wildcat and Ultra all of witch were cleanly stopped by a JSB Heavy or Bisley Mag. Never tried out light pellets on the rats other than in my Wildcat .22 which produced superb groups with JSB RS 13.5gr and certainly proved to be a cracking rat killer.

I really don't mind one bit if it is a .22 or .177 to be honest and it is quite likely that it will be a .177 that I finish up with based on a couple of ideas I currently have.

Phil

A friend of mine had trouble with his hw110. The first five shots would be down on power. He sent it back and it was returned only for the same fault to occur soon afterwards. He took it back again and refused a repair. They exchanged it for a hw100 and he’s had no trouble with that. He says that he wouldn’t have another hw110 and he says that he’s heard of other hw110’s with the same fault.

• Thanks 1