We can all sleep soundly now

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/terror-attacks-uk-threat-far-right-national-action-isis-nazis-westminster-finsbury-park-a8229876.html?amp

I heard they foiled a plot to distribute some nasty leaflets and one guy was planning on writing a nasty Facebook update, thank god they are on the ball.

Edited by JDHUNTING
  • Haha 3

The report states that...........

"Around a third of all those flagged were deemed to need no further action, half were passed on to alternative services and 14 per cent were considered by the counter-radicalisation Channel programme – where right-wing extremists make up more than a quarter of referees."

Theres some very unclear mathematics there, so I'm having trouble working out exactly what a quarter of 14% of a half of two-thirds is...........but my answer would be "not all that many" !

• " Research and campaign group Hope Not Hate said that according to its count, 27 people were arrested or convicted of far-right inspired offences during 2017. "

What constitutes a far-right offence? :hmm:

54 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Theres some very unclear mathematics there, so I'm having trouble working out exactly what a quarter of 14% of a half of two-thirds is...........but my answer would be "not all that many" !

I'm struggling with that one too.

• It shows that, of the total 7,631 people referred to Prevent in 2015-16, 65% (4,997) were suspected of Islamist extremism and 10% (759) of right-wing extremism.

Okay, so far we have...

• Around a third of all those flagged were deemed to need no further action,

Which leaves us with 506.

• half were passed on to alternative services

Which leaves us with 253.

• and 14% were considered by the counter-radicalisation Channel programme

Which leaves us with 35.42 (let's be generous and round it up to 36)

• where right-wing extremists make up more than a quarter of referees.

Which leaves us with 9 but seeing as I only used the number of far-right candidates in the first place that number is now between 9 and 36, or 1 in 1.94 million, depending on my shoddy maths. Does that sound correct?

So we have roughly 36 people in the nation receiving counter-extremist intervention for crimes that we don't know what they are. Sounds legit.

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
15 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:
  • " Research and campaign group Hope Not Hate said that according to its count, 27 people were arrested or convicted of far-right inspired offences during 2017. "

• It shows that, of the total 7,631 people referred to Prevent in 2015-16, 65% (4,997) were suspected of Islamist extremism and 10% (759) of right-wing extremism.

Okay, so far we have...

Which leaves us with 9 but seeing as I only used the number of far-right candidates in the first place that number is now between 9 and 36, or 1 in 1.94 million, depending on my shoddy maths. Does that sound correct?

So we have roughly 36 people in the nation receiving counter-extremist intervention for crimes that we don't know what they are. Sounds legit.

My O Level maths concurs - so my guesstimate of "not all that many" was pretty accurate !   :laugh:

Far right offence ? Disagreeing with anyone, I reckon.

A Croydon school recently called the police (called the police !), because a lecturer repeatedly "misgendered a student" ! The attending police reported this as a hate crime.............not quite the same thing, but when every social transgression, however minor or innocuous it may appear, is criminalised, it isn't hard for the Antifas and their ilk  to see 'crimes' everywhere !

(Edited with apologies to Bath University !)

1 minute ago, Blackbriar said:

My O Level maths concurs - so my guesstimate of "not all that many" was pretty accurate !   :laugh:

Far right offence ? Disagreeing with anyone, I reckon.

Bath University recently called the police (called the police !), because a lecturer repeatedly "misgendered a student" ! The attending police reported this as a hate crime.............not quite the same thing, but when every social transgression, however minor or innocuous it may appear, is criminalised, it isn't hard for the Antifas and their ilk  to see 'crimes' everywhere !

You're much more qualified to calculate the threat to society than I am! Mine was in English! :laugh:

A sliding scale of what constitutes a crime I'm assuming is the interpretation of the arresting officer and then to be argued in court? Are antifa listed as a terrorist organisation yet?

1 minute ago, ChrisJones said:

You're much more qualified to calculate the threat to society than I am! Mine was in English! :laugh:

A sliding scale of what constitutes a crime I'm assuming is the interpretation of the arresting officer and then to be argued in court? Are antifa listed as a terrorist organisation yet?

I got English, and Chemistry too ! Just saying like............

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Probably no...........but neither were the various muslim groups that wanted to "behead those who insult Islam". If that's not inciting hatred &/or violence, I don't know what is !

5 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

I got English, and Chemistry too ! Just saying like............

You eclipsed my academic tenure! :notworthy:

2 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Probably no...........but neither were the various muslim groups that wanted to "behead those who insult Islam". If that's not inciting hatred &/or violence, I don't know what is !

I'm sure the extreme examples are being watched by the security services but all I'm seeing is the low hanging fruit. Even the Independent's figures are focusing on the thin end of the wedge.

39 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Okay, so far we have...

fck me

that was like a question/answer from university challange

fair do to you

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

You eclipsed my academic tenure! :notworthy:

I'm sure the extreme examples are being watched by the security services but all I'm seeing is the low hanging fruit. Even the Independent's figures are focusing on the thin end of the wedge.

I'm sure what the Left and Antifas over inflate the importance of the far right in UK. The 'threat' is never actually specified in the press, even in the case of the National Action members - were they procuring weapons, posing a direct threat of violence etc ? I think not........but he trendies jump on the tiny bandwagon, build up the story and, before you know it, blackshirts are marching down Cable Street - in their minds, at least !

14 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

fck me

that was like a question/answer from university challange

fair do to you

It was a tricky read in the paper and I bet that most would just skim over it but it didn't sit well and then BB called it out too. My maths is nothing more than a pocket calculator and I'm sure that someone could fact check it but a handful of people in a nation of nearly 70 million doesn't strike me as a worthy use of news ink and it practically ignores the other 90% of radicals.

Most know my views both religious and political but I can't stand a b*llsh*tt*r and that was some next level sh*te! :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

I'm sure what the Left and Antifas over inflate the importance of the far right in UK. The 'threat' is never actually specified in the press, even in the case of the National Action members - were they procuring weapons, posing a direct threat of violence etc ? I think not........but he trendies jump on the tiny bandwagon, build up the story and, before you know it, blackshirts are marching down Cable Street - in their minds, at least !

We all know how these articles are slanted but it was surprising to find such an extra level of b*llsh*t. I could be well off but I bet we're closer to the mark than they'd like us to know.

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1