Dog picking runs

21 hours ago, history said:

Probably been discussed before, but I notice a lot of people seem to knock a dog that picks runs, 

Have always thought this is not a bad trait, surely this shows a bit of brain, isnt this what the Lurcher was all about.?

Same as dogs that pull up and dont go crashing into fences is this really a problem

After all dont think the odd miss due to either of the above leaves anyone hungry these days.

Certainly can save a lot of heavy vet bills.

Just think of the money you’d save if you got a dog that doesn’t run at all !  

Can’t stand dogs that pick and choose 

• Haha 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think there’s a difference between picking runs and not bothering at all. If there’s a rabbit sat a couple of feet from cover and my dog is way off then I wouldn’t expect him or even want him to go fu

I like to be the one picking the runs not the dog. 

IMO most Lurchers that have been worked regularly on rabbit will in time pick and choose their runs, and just like stalking their rabbits it’s no problem for me.  

Posted Images

If I had the  dog as a  rabbit dog and it did it It’d be culled ...surely you’d expect your dg to want the rabbit just as much if it was 2 foot away from a hedge just  as much as a rabbit sat in the middle of a field 

My dogs just pick the ones they can't catch. :laugh:

Nowt worse than a dog chasing the horizon every 2 minutes trying to catch everything it sees.

Finding a fine balance between "go on yer bastaerd !" and "hold on ya twat ! "  that's the tricky bit.

On 26/02/2018 at 20:07, nothernlite said:

Nothing worse than a dog picking it's runs

And why is that ? Is your dog always on a lead or is your dog off the lead when you’re out? Are you by on your own or how many dogs are with you . All the above are key factors that determine wether a dog should pick its runs or not, if in company mine is on a lead taking turns on the slip , but when I’m out with just blade he’s never on a lead and probably takes more rabbits on his own as when I’m picking runs for him to accommodate the company that I’m with and tbo I cringe at missed opportunity to bag big numbers 

I can see both points a dog with terrier  blood  in it won't  stop at nothing  were as a collie x a bit more brain  and a lot depends  on what ground u run if u run small field  with a dog with terrier  in it be prepared  to go to the vets quite  regular 

35 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

A dog picking its runs is prob caused by the owner sending it constantly for rabbit 5 inches from cover,pointless i reckon sending dog on no hope rabbits.

That’s pure bollocks that’s contradicting that a dog is not giving 100% and bulldozing through hedges like everyone seems to want 

38 minutes ago, mhopton said:

And why is that ? Is your dog always on a lead or is your dog off the lead when you’re out? Are you by on your own or how many dogs are with you . All the above are key factors that determine wether a dog should pick its runs or not, if in company mine is on a lead taking turns on the slip , but when I’m out with just blade he’s never on a lead and probably takes more rabbits on his own as when I’m picking runs for him to accommodate the company that I’m with and tbo I cringe at missed opportunity to bag big numbers 

Why is that lol  had a we collie type that was extremely fit ran 4 days a week and lamped was on the lead lamping would slip.it in a rabbit would stalk up to the rabbit if the rabbit ran it would about turn and come back great ferreting dog but was embarrassing on the lamp them you would slip.it and it wouldn't run at all if that's no picking it runs don't know what is

1 minute ago, edrd said:

That wee abbey related to your dogs used to spit rabbits out watch them run away ?useless on lamp kill daytime hares and no carry them ?? every dog has its faults mine try bite me when they see something ??

Exactly great we dog for ferreting 

59 minutes ago, mhopton said:

That’s pure bollocks that’s contradicting that a dog is not giving 100% and bulldozing through hedges like everyone seems to want 

Dont quite understand what your saying,any dog sent relentlessly and not catching will become a picker or stalker.