Lamp_Shy

Case Lubricant -Home Made

Been looking for a case lub spray for sometime,  and came across some US youtube videos of home made case lub, so gave it a try.

It's dead simple: 9 parts isopropyl alcohol mixed with 1 part lanolin liquid, in a hand spray. Throw all the cases in a plastic tub, spray them, roll them about, job done. Brilliant results. 

When the IPA vents off, there's just a slight amount of lub left. I just fire all the cases into my ultrasonic cleaner, then dry them off in my airing cupboard. Effortless and brilliant results.

• Like 1

Good idea.

Watch you don't use anhydrous lanolin. The water might cause some brass tarnish.

Lanolin and olive oil mixed make a good rust preventative for guns and is kind on the skin.

• Like 1

Where do you get lanolin  from?  I know its in hand creams but is it sold as just lanolin? Where,  What, how? 

2 minutes ago, Meece said:

Where do you get lanolin  from?  I know its in hand creams but is it sold as just lanolin? Where,  What, how? 

I use to order it from boots chemists but that was years ago. I still have a tub left.

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

There are some options on eBay.

What sort of options. ? Specify.

Some are selling llanolin. Anhydrous has water added. One would have to investigate....

U.

Pure Lanolin liquid. The residue still needs to be cleaned off mind.

Do a search on flea bay. 

My process is:

Resize and remove primer

Check and or trim length

Clean primer pocket

15 mins in ultrasonic cleaner - this gets rid of powder and lub residue

Then tumbler if required.

Inspect

Ready to load

The homemade brew works a treat. The IPA vents off leaving a thin film of lanolin. I highly recommend it.

Simples

Edited by Lamp_Shy