Stickmaking, how hard/easy?

Last few days been a bit hectic, Tuesday night my dad had a stroke, didn’t know what it was and tried to sleep it off. Had another Wednesday morning, in hospital now and all seems okay. He has lost some brain cells, use of his right eye and most control of his left leg. He can put his weight on it but he’s unsteady.

how easy/hard would it be for me to make a stick if I find a nice coursing handle on eBay?

You'll need to get a seasoned shank, cut it to the correct length for your dad and fix the handle and a ferrule. 

You'd be better looking at some you tube vids regarding fixing the handle even though it's simple enough. But getting a shank that's been well seasoned is where you're already behind for a stick you need in a bit of a hurry. They can be got though. You might have a stickmaker near you.

I've just the thing for you and you can have it with pleasure.  Owt to help the old fella. I started a stick a bit ago with a stiff hazel shaft. I was gifted a brass lurches head  and all it needs is marrying them together. If you are interested pm me. Jok.

• Like 9
On 23/02/2018 at 15:34, jok said:

I've just the thing for you and you can have it with pleasure.  Owt to help the old fella. I started a stick a bit ago with a stiff hazel shaft. I was gifted a brass lurches head  and all it needs is marrying them together. If you are interested pm me. Jok.

Good man Jok, nice to see people helping each other in a bad situation. Hope your dad gets on alright Parabuteos lad. Strokes are bloody evil things ? aunty has one last year and it was a real shock. Luckily she was a nurse so recognised the signs quickly. Your dad is a lucky man. 

Parabuteos Lad , asked a bout a stick for the auld fell so here it is. I'm hoping he both likes and that it helps him on the road to recovery. Nice seasoned hazel shaft, waxed and buffed, brass ferrule and most importantly a lovely saluki looking solid brass handle which is actually screwed onto the shaft. Jok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Have been speaking in chat with jok since his initial offer and cannot thank him enough for what he has done. Means a lot to both me and my mum. The old fella don’t know yet but sure he will be made up not having to use the silver nhs eye sore he’s been given. 

For anyone interested he’s himself in terms of mood and personality, slight brain damage, dodgy right eye, arm and leg. But could of been worse so we’re all happy ??

• Thanks 1
On 2/28/2018 at 15:02, jok said:

Parabuteos Lad , asked a bout a stick for the auld fell so here it is. I'm hoping he both likes and that it helps him on the road to recovery. Nice seasoned hazel shaft, waxed and buffed, brass ferrule and most importantly a lovely saluki looking solid brass handle which is actually screwed onto the shaft. Jok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hello Jok, 

I like the wax finish in the hazel shaft, looks better than the varnish.

What wax do you use and how do you apply it and buff it, if you don't mind me asking? 

Thanks

The wax I use is Briwax. Originally I bought it for finishing bowls etc on the lathe but if you hand apply it with a soft cloth and then try to get a bit of heat into it, by hand or mechanical means, it gives a lovely finish. And smells nice too. Jok.