Trained Mink and Dog Catch 25 rats!!!

10 minutes ago, Str said:

Does the mink get bitten much? Great video.

Bitten by the rats or the dog? I've never had a problem with the dog biting the mink, but of course the rats get them from time to time. It's actually surprisingly rare for the mink to get a noticeable injury from any of the rats, muskrats, or squirrels we hunt, but of course it does happen sometimes. The good mink learn from their bites and get better at hunting while avoiding injury. Soft mink show their true colors after too many bites and become annoyingly cautious. 

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Minkenry said:

Bitten by the rats or the dog? I've never had a problem with the dog biting the mink, but of course the rats get them from time to time. It's actually surprisingly rare for the mink to get a noticeable injury from any of the rats, muskrats, or squirrels we hunt, but of course it does happen sometimes. The good mink learn from their bites and get better at hunting while avoiding injury. Soft mink show their true colors after too many bites and become annoyingly cautious. 

The rats,cheers.

good video that........quite interesting and different the way you go about it with a mink, are the mink your using good to handle and tame enough, or do their instincts kick in and  they get a bit spicy from the hunting and killing ???  as I notice you don't handle them much in the video and just entice them into the carry box and then tip them out where you want them to go.......

good work, keep it up......

all the best,

jay :thumbs:

5 hours ago, jayjay said:

good video that........quite interesting and different the way you go about it with a mink, are the mink your using good to handle and tame enough, or do their instincts kick in and  they get a bit spicy from the hunting and killing ???  as I notice you don't handle them much in the video and just entice them into the carry box and then tip them out where you want them to go.......

good work, keep it up......

all the best,

jay :thumbs:

The mink in this video are brand new, so they aren't totally trained yet. I actually got them for a breeding project I'm finally starting, and I'm testing them to make sure they are all good solid hunters before I actually breed them. The youngest of these mink is almost 2, and the oldest is almost 4 years old, and they had no training or handling before I got them. Here's a video showing a tame, fully trained mink I used to have ( I unfortunately lost this one while hunting)

5 minutes ago, Minkenry said:

?????? 

Joke mate wi keep diggin although a mate of mine said that they were rabbiting wi ferrets and dug to a ferret that they found wi it's head mangled  a big dog mink stuck it's bonce out the hole think it got a 20 pencer both barrels like