struggling to keep weight on my springer spaniel

Hi guys, is anyone else struggling to keep weight on their springers? she's been beating all season, comes to work with me at a riding school where she's alway stunning about, and she's walked everyday. she's just looking a bit skinny and isn't seeming to be putting any weight on. she's given two scoops of kibble and helf a tin of dog meat a day, seems like loads but having to feed her up in order to keep here weight on.IMG_1993.thumb.JPG.0af8c1950aa63333f0c9e828eb11bf59.JPG

the two scoops of kibble and tin of dog meat is a give away, no brand mentioned for the kibble so I will assume its a cheap one so no real nutrition for a working dog sae with the tinned meat 60% water rest generally rubbish, its a diet problem mate, you got a working dog on a diet that's not likely fit for a pet dog , maybe try grain free kibble or raw feeding

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, arcticgun said:

the two scoops of kibble and tin of dog meat is a give away, no brand mentioned for the kibble so I will assume its a cheap one so no real nutrition for a working dog sae with the tinned meat 60% water rest generally rubbish, its a diet problem mate, you got a working dog on a diet that's not likely fit for a pet dog , maybe try grain free kibble or raw feeding

The dog meat is butchers tripe and the kibble is Arkwrights. Not cheap rubbish mate 

25 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

Can you not keep her penned up when you're in work,and give her some fatty meat in her diet sound's like she's doing to much on to little.

i was thinking the  same  mate , pen her up when your at work, and feed   1lb raw mince chicken every day and drop lamb etc in it that  6-8 hours rest and more meat she should  put bit of weight on. another thing as well its in the breed to be  on the hyper active side  there always on the go ,  not like labs,lurchers, give her plenty of bones as well   if you pen her up, they occupy  her ,:yes:  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

i was thinking the  same  mate , pen her up when your at work, and feed   1lb raw mince chicken every day and drop lamb etc in it that  6-8 hours rest and more meat she should  put bit of weight on. another thing as well its in the breed to be  on the hyper active side  there always on the go ,  not like labs,lurchers, give her plenty of bones as well   if you pen her up, they occupy  her ,:yes:  

I have the opposite problem with my springer ray since I got him neutered in Sept I can't keep the weight off him,he's walked every day and cut down on food.

43 minutes ago, david901 said:

If my dogs are working very hard daily, I sometimes add some Lard to their meals. I microwave it a bit to soften it and mix it in. 

Seems to help keep weight on them.

I do that with the lard it does help, a few years ago I bought a very skinny beddy whip pup I seen it in a traveller site and took pity on it,my butcher gave me a few kilo's of chicken skin and within two weeks she doubled in weight.

• Like 1

Fatty beef, lard, eggs, milk, fish, lamb, a slice of whole meal bread every meal. All these will put weight on a hard worked dog ... dogs get their energy from fats and springers are busy dogs at the best of times ... if yours has the space to be active all day it's going to need more of a source of energy ... because it hasn't got enough fat in its diet it is starting to deplete its own body to get the energy it needs ... change of diet is the only answer ........

• Like 3
On 24/02/2018 at 17:34, Wideboy said:

It might not be cheap but it's not good enough for your bitch. Put a coat on her if she is kennelled outside. She will be burning energy trying to keep warm. Change her food. Acana dry is good enough for an evening meal, give her minced chicken with an egg or some sardines. I mince chicken wings and I put in beef drippings as its running through the mincer. Change from Arkwrights as it is not working. 

Acana is a superb quality complete food, it doesn’t need anything adding to it.