Fenn / Springer / Solway any difference?

As above really. I use Fenn and Springer MK4s in the past, only Fenn MK6's. There seems to be little difference in the power or effectiveness that i can see, but I only have 10 traps in total so I am a mere amateur and I have never seen a solway trap in the flesh. I need to get some more traps in both sizes.

The solways are coming up a bit cheaper than the other two, are they as good or is it false economy?

If these aren't the best option, where is the best place to buy springers or fenns to get a good deal?

Thanks for you input.

2 hours ago, mazperks said:

Have a look at the Mk4 from Trapbarn on ebay. Advertised as an approved, upgraded and stronger trap than the Fenn.

made in UK, and cheaper right now.

Havent used one but well worth a try.

Don't think Trapbarn are on the STAO,  and that's all that counts.

Eddie I've just been looking at the write up on these, and they are equivalent in all respects (in fact excede) to a trap of type and make specified in column 1 of the schedule.  Sect8 (3) of the Pests act.

Meeting this criteria therefore would mean they would be an approved spring trap as specified in the act.

(Unless I've missed something.)

Anyway I'm certain the other makers would be crying foul if Trapbarn were out of order.

8 hours ago, mazperks said:

Eddie I've just been looking at the write up on these, and they are equivalent in all respects (in fact excede) to a trap of type and make specified in column 1 of the schedule.  Sect8 (3) of the Pests act.

Meeting this criteria therefore would mean they would be an approved spring trap as specified in the act.

(Unless I've missed something.)

Anyway I'm certain the other makers would be crying foul if Trapbarn were out of order.

Ok, nothing against Trapbarn. His traps may well be more powerful than those in the STAO, but they haven't been tested, have they. We can only go on the word of the manufacturer, or the supplier. Not talking about the man personally, but in general. 

What if some guy on ebay advertised some of the chinky stuff as "stronger than the Fenn". Does that mean their ok to use? Does that mean you'd be ok to use them? 

Look, I'm not saying these traps are definitely illegal. It's just that there will always be a question over them,  unless they are tested. If the individual is happy enough knowing that, then use away! That's your choice.

• Like 1
On 19/02/2018 at 13:22, ellir0305 said:

As above really. I use Fenn and Springer MK4s in the past, only Fenn MK6's. There seems to be little difference in the power or effectiveness that i can see, but I only have 10 traps in total so I am a mere amateur and I have never seen a solway trap in the flesh. I need to get some more traps in both sizes.

The solways are coming up a bit cheaper than the other two, are they as good or is it false economy?

If these aren't the best option, where is the best place to buy springers or fenns to get a good deal?

Thanks for you input.

I've  used  a dozen Solway Mk6's for about 3 years now, along with Fenn Mk6's, and find them as good as  the Fenn  Mk 6,

Tried and trusted mk4 Fenn on rats in a wire cubby , proves itself time and time again.I put 2 inside a small stable yesterday afternoon, i had a text this morning from the lady to say there was a rat in one. Sure enough one very dead rat , never get bored off finding that. Plus one very happy customer.

• Like 1
On 07/03/2018 at 15:33, saharashadow said:

I've  used  a dozen Solway Mk6's for about 3 years now, along with Fenn Mk6's, and find them as good as  the Fenn  Mk 6,

Suppose to be slightly stronger than the Fenn.

7 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Suppose to be slightly stronger than the Fenn.

What's the problems some people have with fenns? Sure I read people saying about not killing animals in them.  Would that be from old fenns that's springs are worn or new ones ? 

2 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

What's the problems some people have with fenns? Sure I read people saying about not killing animals in them.  Would that be from old fenns that's springs are worn or new ones ? 

Their not the best killing trap Red. New or old, doesn't matter. They just struggle with anything bigger than a squirrel. 

Saying that, I find them an excellent trap to catch. You won't get many refusals with a fenn. They are also very versatile, and that is why they are struggling to find an alternative to the Fenn. Hard to beat it for versatility and price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

With ref to what  Eddie B says about the Solway, to me the spring does seem stronger than the Fenn Mk 6 spring, but that could just be my perception of them. I've never had anything bigger than squirrels or mink in mine. The Fenns  are fine and maybe it's just preference.Just got some Doc 200  traps and will be giving them a try out.

5 hours ago, saharashadow said:

With ref to what  Eddie B says about the Solway, to me the spring does seem stronger than the Fenn Mk 6 spring, but that could just be my perception of them. I've never had anything bigger than squirrels or mink in mine. The Fenns  are fine and maybe it's just preference.Just got some Doc 200  traps and will be giving them a try out.

They need to relax the laws on the DOC to allow it to show it's full potential. That may well happen, according to the article I posted the other day.

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 1