pickaxe terriers

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

50% I class as ok with lots of work over years id rather it higher  , hunt work I expect 90-100 %

I find it's the reckless don't make the grade 

But do you prefer a sensible yapper for the hunt work but moving round the earth for ages waiting to bottle up. Or a sensible harder dog when you know when it’s up to quarry your only digging the one hole?

On 20/08/2020 at 21:25, Gypsydog94 said:

But do you prefer a sensible yapper for the hunt work but moving round the earth for ages waiting to bottle up. Or a sensible harder dog when you know when it’s up to quarry your only digging the one hole?

she been described here , but the bitch Tilly was something  she would not kill a rat til she was 5, I dug from 9month   work she'd bay them up and hold not  mark on her after 2 seasons she got brave and had them by the head as day light hit , she'd suffer a kiss or two ...Chaz had them by the head from word go if it got proper tough and long the boy would sing both a joy to dig ....as have been those who come after them 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 2

Not to be too harsh on hunt terriermen but if it goes to ground almost anything will do the job on the day and most pros carry a selection for different jobs .Bolters were often other peoples failed digging dogs ,I know I gifted stuff to the hunt that didn’t really have what it takes to do the job regular .50% does seem a bit low Glyn but I’m guessing your being modest on that .Seems to be more and more getting out the game as time goes  by these days ,even youngsters .

• Like 1
9 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

If I did I’d be camped out in the mans garden till he bred a litter an sorted me a pup ? I’m not an never been into ye black dogs but can’t deny this mans type look proper workman like, saying that id be torn between his garden an dillys ??

I'm sure the pair of them both have a list from pals of there's wanting pups and as iv'e never met either man i'd be just joining a que of strangers after something they have put a lifetime of work into..

But if you have either mans address :whistling:,,,,,,,,,,,, :laugh:..

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Not to be too harsh on hunt terriermen but if it goes to ground almost anything will do the job on the day and most pros carry a selection for different jobs .Bolters were often other peoples failed digging dogs ,I know I gifted stuff to the hunt that didn’t really have what it takes to do the job regular .50% does seem a bit low Glyn but I’m guessing your being modest on that .Seems to be more and more getting out the game as time goes  by these days ,even youngsters .

yes think we've seen some right shit work with hunts , all I can say on % is I once bred a litter of 6 and all 6 were as good as you could wish for unfortunately I had bred the litter and gave them away , but all ended up with good lads and I saw  all of them work  and have there blood in mine now , and because it was so goodi repeated the mating 6 pups again 2 good workers 2 yo-yo and 2 rubbish I kept two a yo-yo handy for the hunt , and one good  one did a lot of earth stopping with , 3rd litter 5 pups 4 good 1 only wanted to fight other dogs the more I know the less I know lol 

6 hours ago, fireman said:

sorry very long list and as far as my address it's the house with a loaded 410 :)

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, fireman said:

I'm sure the pair of them both have a list from pals of there's wanting pups and as iv'e never met either man i'd be just joining a que of strangers after something they have put a lifetime of work into..

I've sat in your living room and came away with a lurcher pup ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 3 months later...