THE TIMES, THEY ARE A CHANGING

what price do the rabbits usually go for micky, usually sell for about £6 apiece skinned and£4 for saddle back and 4 legs at local farmers market,when they get them, as for hares cant give them away, never mind getting any dollar for them, wild rabbit will soon be a thing the past, pheasant prices are at an all time low.

8 hours ago, mackem said:

You must have seen some price fluctuations in the game market over the years Micky.

In 73 i had been on the sick for a long time and received £33  a week , not being smokers or big drinkers  we lived very well on that , in addition to that i was shooting a lot of pheasants which were sold to a dealer at the Market for £1 each , this was slightly above the market rate but my birds sold at a premium because they only had one hole in them , i used to shoot about 70/100 a week and around this time Petrol  was 40 pence a gallon , Rabbit always sold well at Melton and when i sold them there in the 60s the rate was about 5 shillings each [25 pence] , that 5 shillings would buy three pints of Shipstones mild and a cheese Cob /bun / bap, during the War years and early 50s  i knew men  and of men who actually bought houses and in one case a Farm from the sale of rabbit meat and fur and i am sure this could be said for any other place in the country, can you imagine an ordinary working bloke doing that now days , game and Rabbits are now worthless i have seen Pheasants that cannot be sold at 5 pence each and on the same row Squirrels fetch a pound each or a wood pigeon make 75 pence .One thing that has stuck with me over the years  was the RSPCA, they have always had a strong presence at Melton  and they done a lot of good , back in 62/63 there were a couple of young girls collecting on the main gate what they done was simple they just closed the gate and if you did not pay you did not get in and they screwed a stone of corn out of all the tight arsed farmers to feed the wild birds . People were not the same back then for some reason . 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, grompz said:

what price do the rabbits usually go for micky, usually sell for about £6 apiece skinned and£4 for saddle back and 4 legs at local farmers market,when they get them, as for hares cant give them away, never mind getting any dollar for them, wild rabbit will soon be a thing the past, pheasant prices are at an all time low.

Just type in MELTON MARKET GUIDE  click on the date and every thing will come up , with game and rabbits you will get the high and low price the real price is some where in the middle , Quantity makes the price if there were just two couple of rabbits in they will sell for £8  a couple  if there are a dozen couple the will make about  £5.50  a couple

I do a rabbit job next to and on an airfield, there must be a 50 plus acres of gorse and bramble that you cant get into so the rabbits are safe.Plus airport security means these rabbits are safe. Last year they just disappeared into thin air. No myxy, no dead rabbits on roads, they just went,  over and massive area. 

Sad. I really don't think they will bounce back from this 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, micky said:

In 73 i had been on the sick for a long time and received £33  a week , not being smokers or big drinkers  we lived very well on that , in addition to that i was shooting a lot of pheasants which were sold to a dealer at the Market for £1 each , this was slightly above the market rate but my birds sold at a premium because they only had one hole in them , i used to shoot about 70/100 a week and around this time Petrol  was 40 pence a gallon , Rabbit always sold well at Melton and when i sold them there in the 60s the rate was about 5 shillings each [25 pence] , that 5 shillings would buy three pints of Shipstones mild and a cheese Cob /bun / bap, during the War years and early 50s  i knew men  and of men who actually bought houses and in one case a Farm from the sale of rabbit meat and fur and i am sure this could be said for any other place in the country, can you imagine an ordinary working bloke doing that now days , game and Rabbits are now worthless i have seen Pheasants that cannot be sold at 5 pence each and on the same row Squirrels fetch a pound each or a wood pigeon make 75 pence .One thing that has stuck with me over the years  was the RSPCA, they have always had a strong presence at Melton  and they done a lot of good , back in 62/63 there were a couple of young girls collecting on the main gate what they done was simple they just closed the gate and if you did not pay you did not get in and they screwed a stone of corn out of all the tight arsed farmers to feed the wild birds . People were not the same back then for some reason . 

Interesting mate

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I do a rabbit job next to and on an airfield, there must be a 50 plus acres of gorse and bramble that you cant get into so the rabbits are safe.Plus airport security means these rabbits are safe. Last year they just disappeared into thin air. No myxy, no dead rabbits on roads, they just went,  over and massive area. 

Sad. I really don't think they will bounce back from this 

Sorry to hear, fella ?

1 hour ago, byron said:

you'll remember pete ireland then micky.was the auctioneer there and brigg/ lincs for years...ex terrierman for the southwold..

Cannot place the name  but i have a face in mind  , did he work for Startin Auctions and if he did what did he Auction ?