Another school shooting in America

2 hours ago, WILF said:

And, as I understand it, you have the right to carry a fire arm mate......which I believe you do, you are trained in the use of and have a degree of circumstances where by you can legally bring that fire arm to bare if the situation requires it.

Correct. Different states have different legal requirements on the where, how, by whom, etc but generally you're allowed to defend yourself with up to and including lethal force.

2 hours ago, WILF said:

From what I can see, this is a law suit to say that a bloke had an obligation to react in a certain way when the bullets started flying.......but the fact is, nobody knows how they will react until it happens.

jmho

That's my interpretation of it as well. Sh*t happened, he froze, and it took more cops from further away to null the threat. The legal suit is from the parents I'm assuming at this point. They're claiming he was negligent in his duty as a police officer. Technically they're correct. It's his job to deal with this if it ever arose. Granted this is the worst situation as school resource officer could probably be in but this is what he signed up for at "I Do Solemnly Swear..."

But...

Nobody knows how they will react to this until it happens and he froze. Personally, I believe they're both right but previous cases have shown that he has no duty to intervene. Ultimately he probably won't have to answer to the case legally but morally he'll carry a life sentence around in his own head.

The point here is that the same people who want to restrict/rescind the 2nd amendment are also the same people that believe the police are the only ones that should carry guns in the name of public order. Why should the state have the monopoly on order when they can legally pick and choose which circumstances warrant their intervention?

• Like 1

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, you are to blame........the society that folk of your political persuasion have fostered and encouraged, the barriers you broke down are directly responsible for those kids deaths imho

amazing hes still alive.....mind you he is white.....

Apologies Stiff I have re read again ,my replies were completely wrong . Hope you can accept I was miles off the mark

Posted Images

12 hours ago, WILF said:

Is this the same as asking a soldier why he hid in a fox hole when the bullets were flying when he could have done a bayonet charge?

Should we prosecute every soldier who ever got scared?........because to me, that’s what this law suit is saying?

Police officers and soldiers are two very different things. At least here in the States they are. As the world knows our officers are not reluctant to engage criminals in even the most violent confrontations. We rely on this everyday. I was not there, and I don't know what kept that officer from taking action. But I wouldn't want to be the man that had to carry that around the rest of his days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surely the only real outcome is that now officers in the role that guy is employed in will no longer be carrying concealed fire arms , instead they must have a weapon system that supercedes any threat that can be posed ?!!

hence the next time a young lad pulls out a glock at school , he should be cut in half by an a r 18 on fully automatic, you know , just to be safe and that 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Surely the only real outcome is that now officers in the role that guy is employed in will no longer be carrying concealed fire arms , instead they must have a weapon system that supercedes any threat that can be posed ?!!

hence the next time a young lad pulls out a glock at school , he should be cut in half by an a r 18 on fully automatic, you know , just to be safe and that 

Our resource officers are serving sheriff's deputies. They're in full uniform complete with duty issue. That includes everything from pepper spray to the AR-15 in the back of the cruiser. Our rural officers carry pretty much everything with them because of the area they cover and the time it takes to get there.

The guy that didn't engage was suspended pending an investigation into why. He then immediately retired from the force to protect his pension and benefits.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Is it realkg at that level chris ??

in schools ? That’s mental 

Depends on your local plod in a sense. All of our schools in Utah have a resource officer and have for some time. That's a secondary duty on top of their day to day policing. They're still sworn in LE officers. We live 30 miles outside of the city limits so we're not covered by city police only county and state LE. When the county sheriff's deputy logs in at the school he's carrying everything he may need for the day and while he isn't walking around a school with the latest hardware it won't be far away from his person either. If he has to respond to a bank job 90 miles away he can't really call back to the station and pick up anything he needs. It's more a matter of practicality.