Bad mouth

40 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Both parents have to carry the fault

Both parents may carry the fault and we know for sure one does! Why take the risk? It would just be adding to the shite that’s already for sale.when breeding dogs there’s always the risk of a fault appearing that’s not known about but to knowingly breed from a dog that is not structurally sound is very irresponsible,find a sound stud dog.

• Like 2

A bad mouth is not a cosmetic fault as the dog will eat, drink,bite & carry things in its mouth, if the pups are born pink then that’s a cosmetic fault for most but not all !! .if it were me I wouldn’t take the risk but it’s up to you at the end of the day, all I will say is if you do sell pups make sure you tell the prospective owners of the fault.

1 hour ago, baker boy said:

Ive bred from dog and bitch with perfect mouths and have them throw bad mouths, Ive also had a whole litter with good mouths out of an undershot bitch, lurchers tend to throw less bad mouths than terriers all my experience has been with terriers

Undershirt or overshot don't bite any difference 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Str said:

A bad mouth is not a cosmetic fault as the dog will eat, drink,bite & carry things in its mouth, if the pups are born pink then that’s a cosmetic fault for most but not all !! .if it were me I wouldn’t take the risk but it’s up to you at the end of the day, all I will say is if you do sell pups make sure you tell the prospective owners of the fault.

Surely they should have the brains to check that before committing to a pup lol? Seen plenty over/undershot never made a blind bit of difference to how they work unless your chasing ribbons in the ring imo. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Surely they should have the brains to check that before committing to a pup lol? Seen plenty over/undershot never made a blind bit of difference to how they work unless your chasing ribbons in the ring imo. 

If you had the choice of a good dog Daniel with a good mouth or a bad one which would you have? I am guessing you would choose a good one? I am not saying a dog with a bad mouth can’t be a good worker but there are lots of good working dogs out there which are sound in body & mind so use one of them.

Is it overshot or undershot? As in the title it says over shot and further down you out undershot.

I'd use a stud that's mouth wasn't perfect if it was the best possible in every other way and anything  else you could get hold of didn't come close. But if you can get a similar dog that got a better mouth ...,.....

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Str said:

If you had the choice of a good dog Daniel with a good mouth or a bad one which would you have? I am guessing you would choose a good one? I am not saying a dog with a bad mouth can’t be a good worker but there are lots of good working dogs out there which are sound in body & mind so use one of them.

Agreed, but I wouldn't [BANNED TEXT] a dog off on that alone?

• Like 1

Can't remember if undershoot or overshot to be honest , just remember looking at its mouth when it was younger and noticing it was a bit dodgy, had dogs myself the same in fact got a terrier here now getting on a bit with a bad mouth, hardly any teeth left so it's irrelevant now  anyway!

• Like 1