BSA Airsporter RB2 Carbine circa 1994 tips for maintenance and restoration

Hi, new to this so place forgive any ignorance!

I have just liberated my beloved Airsporter RB2 carbine from my son after gifting it to him about 4 years ago, largely because he has moved on to using a shotgun and also because he didn't maintain it in the immaculate and  pristine condition I had done over the previous 20 years.?

in that time I had probably fired less than 1000 pellets through it because despite wanting originally wanting to use it as a hunting rifle, the availability of shooting land, work, life and kids got in the way!  Anyway I've now got it back and having spent an hour or two working on the furniture eliminating a few bumps and scratches on the stock and fore end I want to bring it back up to scratch maintenance wise. However with no owners manual or diagram I'm wondering what it is I should be doing.

Regrettably there is so light corrosive pitting on the blued area of the barrel and piston (he's put it away wet after a wander around the farmyard!) but most of that has polished out but I'm loathe to take any wire wool or wet and dry to it I case I cause real damage. Any advice on improving this cosmetic element?

Finally, given its relative light use, but advanced age what should I be doing with regard to lubricating the cocking action, piston and spring or indeed if I need to? I am not at all confident with regard to stripping it down myself - mostly on the basis that I would be bound to have a piece left over when I came to put it back together again....so any advice as to how I can ascertain if this is required and where I can go to get it done would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance 

David 

Right David

take pics of every part of the rifle before you take it apart mate and as your taking it apart

it may seem a little over bored but if you get stuck you have some thing to go back to ,,to help you along

As for the bluing nick your wifes tin foil from the kitchen

crumple it up into a ball and rub the bluing over with it this will remove all the bluing and some of the pitting

with out scratching the metal work at all

it may be just the case of re,greasing the spring (once you have removed the old grease )

and so on .

heres a air sporter i did .

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P271211_10.18.jpg

P271211_10.18_[01].jpg

P271211_10.18_[04].jpg

P271211_10.23.jpg

P271211_10.24_[01].jpg

P271211_10.49_[01].jpg

P271211_10.50.jpg

P271211_14.30_[02].jpg

P281211_13.54.jpg

P281211_13.55.jpg

P291211_15.47_[01].jpg

P291211_17.27.jpg

P291211_17.28.jpg

P291211_15.47_[02].jpg

P291211_17.28_[02].jpg

P311211_10.59_[01].jpg

P311211_17.40.jpg

P050112_15.29.jpg

P050112_19.05_[01].jpg

P050112_19.05.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bigmac 97kt said:

I was going to do that Jon lol

hears a link to the refurb i did it may help you along

just click on the link below

Bsa,air Sporter Refurb

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Toooooo slow pops :p :laugh: :thumbs:

As simple as it is, that's a top tip about taking pictures as you go Jimmy :yes:

........ That's got me out of the shit with so many different things.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Toooooo slow pops :p :laugh: :thumbs:

As simple as it is, that's a top tip about taking pictures as you go Jimmy :yes:

........ That's got me out of the shit with so many different things.

I do it all the time Jon it helps mate if you get stuck on some thing it gives you a visual preference

to look back on ,

even when i take the spring and piston and top hats out i lay them down in the way they have come out and take a pick of them

and another top tip is to get a plastic tub and place every thing in it put the lid on and write on what it is IE,,air sporter,,,,bsa so on and so on .

this way your not looking all over for things OR on the Floor lol

or BIN if your lass is like mine :laugh:

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...