Jackknife

Can you forsee any problems

I let my shotgun certificate run out about 9 years ago having had quite a serious shoulder injury,I had the shoulder repaired (rotater cuff)in hind sight I should have just payed for the 5 yearly re newel but there you have it I was more into my dogs if truth be known,would you think id have any problems reapplying for it again.

Thanks

Rotator cuff is a b*****d, I've had it. I bought a Winchester SX3 semi auto. It's got waaaaay less kick back than a normal shot gun. I would defo recommend a semi if you have, or have had, a bad shoulder.

• Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:59, Meece said:

Why would there be any problem?

Indeed!

Why should there be a problem?

Winchester SX 3 has very little kick back, good for shoulder. Brother in laws side by side kicks like a mule and next day my poor old shoulder hurts like a MOFO,.

6 hours ago, PLEDGEY said:

Winchester SX 3 has very little kick back, good for shoulder. Brother in laws side by side kicks like a mule and next day my poor old shoulder hurts like a MOFO,.

If your getting knocked about by a gun, either you aren't holding it right or it dont fit you or both.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Meece said:

If your getting knocked about by a gun, either you aren't holding it right or it dont fit you or both.

Completely agree,it was nothing to do with gun fit it was the movement itself of my left arm when mounting but thanks anyway

I'm not getting 'knocked about'. It's just that out of all the shot guns I've owned, since my shoulder has gotten worse, the Winchester SX 3 gives me less pain the next day.

Jackknife, the SX3 will have less kick because it's semi auto so some of the gases are being recycled into the mechanism instead of exiting the barrel front and pushing it back into the shoulder. A semi-auto is a very good solution for someone with a shoulder problem or who feels the kick more than most.

Another answer would be to drop to a .20 bore semi and or use slower "gentler" ammunition. A shoulder pad might also help, although then you might need the gun shortened (or buy a shorter one).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alsone said:

Jackknife, the SX3 will have less kick because it's semi auto so some of the gases are being recycled into the mechanism instead of exiting the barrel front and pushing it back into the shoulder. A semi-auto is a very good solution for someone with a shoulder problem or who feels the kick more than most.

Another answer would be to drop to a .20 bore semi and or use slower "gentler" ammunition. A shoulder pad might also help, although then you might need the gun shortened (or buy a shorter one).

Thanks for the info although maybe the way I wrote it came across wrong,im right handed no problems initially but found I couldn't hold the barrels up with my left arm with the damaged shoulder,nothing to do with kick,gun fit etc cheers lads

As you have had a licence before and if you haven't been in bother since it lapsed  it should be fairly simple to get your ticket again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should have no problems with the license.

I have gone through some testing guns / carts with my wife as she has started being recoil shy. She doesn't like auto shotguns and as she only shoots clays, an o/u is a better bet on many counts but the biggest improvement was to test 24grm cartridges. The 24grm will perform extremely well and although not my chosen shell, I have used 24's for pigeon decoying with no problems whatsoever.

I would respectfully suggest just trying some 24's in a friends gun or at a clay shoot to see how you go on.

Cheddite produce some superb 21 and 24 grm cartridges and don't think for one minute 21's are no good, you may well be amazed at both performance and low recoil but for god's sake do not bother with Hull Cartridge Comp-X 21's as they are low recoil but rubbish, ideal for children, end of.

Phil

• Like 1