Knowing the right time

It doesn't get any easier and I remember Maggie starting to struggle it crossed my mind but she made my mind up for me one morning when she gave me that look lead in bed  I just knew it was her time and it was time to do right by her  i think she knew to as we walked to the van Mrs was heart broke I had five mins in the van said my good byes lump in my throat and a few tears  went home and had a good drink that night 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2

If she is not in pain, and is not incontinent and she is not costing you a fortune in vets bills, I'd put it off. She's made it through the winter. Spring is in the air. Nothing wrong with having a doddering dog that doesn't want to run with young ones. Leave her have her moment in bed, if she wants.

• Like 4

you licked my hand late last night                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             was it to let me know your alright                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               I feel your presence in the breeze                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              And gently passing by my knees                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              And there you go after the big brown hare                                                                                                                                                                                                                               When time stood still without a care                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Ive seen you sitting by the gate                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Like you used to do when I was late                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         But I'm lying here in the cold grey dawn                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Afraid to wake because youll be gone                     

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

This was on another thread on here it' a great little poem 

• Like 6

Ive always said, if they can take them selfs off to toilet ok, and can potter about, eat and drink and not in constant pain, then they can enjoy their old age. Nowt wrong with an old dog that wants to do little more than potter about the yard. Its when a dog wants to do more, tries to do more and fails that its heart breaking.

• Like 1

Cheers for the comment folks, she will be heading the vets at the end of the week and having stewed on things I am at peace with my decision tbh. She has had a great innings with me and despite the fact she would probably bimble in for a few more months, she just hasnt been right for a good while now and despite eating well she isn't wanting to move and has had a few accidents in the house lasted weeks, which stresses her and the other dogs out. I have had her since 9 weeks old she will never forgotten and I could write a book about some of her antics in her youth, including some funny moments out with her in the field, I can not recommend this breed enough as a family dog that will guard with great loyalty. Thanks again the the words and poems much appreciated atb 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again folks, she was pts this afternoon and despite it being heart wrenching decision i am comfortable it was for the best. i have not long lost my grandad and he didn't half suffer towards the end, he told me more than once before he passed that no dog would be made to suffer like he was and he was a tough bugger. He along with my old man is the reason I love running dogs and terriers.  Share One story that sticks out and makes me smile when I think about Molly, I was lucky enough to take her to work a fair bit with me during my time in the raf, she came to work at the gym with me one night on a late shift and she used to chill out behind the counter whilst I did my duties, one evening I left her behind the desk whilst I went downstairs the the main gym when I returned she had the station commander (big boss) pinned against the office wall lol, he had decided to try and grab some climbing kit out from the back storeroom behind the office, but mistake. Molly had a great habit of not making herself known until needed, lay down like a shagpile rug but burst up into action when required luckily he appreciated she was just doing her job and had a laugh about it,post-68208-0-92031600-1495453013_thumb.jpg great guard and loyal friend too Mol gone but never to be forgotten atb 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

had to go down this road myself . its not an easy decision and once made its final. i have only one regret and that is i left it to long with an old russell bitch. due to trying not to break my daughters heart. its fair to say i will never make that mistake again.  RIP Molly.