Apologies if this has been done before. 

I'm wondering what sort of portion size people would feed a growing terrier (7mnth)

She's currently being fed on a variety of minced chicken, lamb, tripe and fish at 400g a portion with a small bowl of dry at night.

What would be the ideal portion size for raw feeding?

Regards, 

Beam

20 minutes ago, beam said:

Apologies if this has been done before. 

I'm wondering what sort of portion size people would feed a growing terrier (7mnth)

She's currently being fed on a variety of minced chicken, lamb, tripe and fish at 400g a portion with a small bowl of dry at night.

What would be the ideal portion size for raw feeding?

Regards, 

Beam

It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. Some big dogs eat less than a small dog but still fatten quick. A pound of meat with kibble and veg would suit most terriers daily but you really need to be able to recognise when they have a good back on them. (muscle on their arse without been fat or unfit) . Hip bones showing means a terrier is underfed or ill. A dog with a big work load could eat 50% more than the same dog rested. Amounts mean little if the quality of food is poor, then they will need more and sh1t more non usable excess. Then some breeds can eat very little and still thrive. I found some of the old Irish types glens and Wheaten's done well on smaller portions and fattened quick if overfed or they just wouldn't bother eating it. I often wondered was it a throw back to when these breeds were created that there wasn't much spare food left for the dogs in Ireland after large and poor families hadnt much scraps left after meals. The truth is during tough times for people to survive the dog had to get by on potato skins. Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen spaniels and patterdales eat all around them without gaining an ounce whilst the glens and Wheaten's were bigger stronger dogs but ate less. If the dog has a good back but not fat and has a shiny coat with plenty of exercise then keep doing what your doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1