The dangers of aspirin.

Just now, Pirate 9000 said:

.hope your dog makes full recovery, lady down my road gave her West highland terrier 2 paracetamol tablets the dog died a very painful death.

She's making a full recovery.  Up running about with the other dog. Eating heartily again. 

Just relieved and happy she bounced back.

Not her fault or anyone's but my stupid oversight not paying attention. No excuse or reason for it. Hope others learn from my carelessness. 

Atb j

• Like 9

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That dog has been at the vets four times since Monday afternoon. She was give electrolytes by the vet plus pain killers.  Why the hell would i give the dog meds when the vet gave them to me alrea

She's making a full recovery.  Up running about with the other dog. Eating heartily again.  Just relieved and happy she bounced back. Not her fault or anyone's but my stupid oversight not pa

Dont we all bud ??. Atb

Posted Images

I gave one of my dogs 1/4 of ibuprofen tablet a day when he got messed up on a fence his leg was 3 times the size with swelling and it done wonders for him but he was a big old boy. I crushed it up into a powder for him only 1/4 a day though 3 days later walking round like it never happend 

• Like 1

i give mine junior ibuprofen when we get in from a nights graft and his facial area swollen, only 5 mill a time and by next morning it’s pretty much back to normal. he’s also a big strong dog so there’s not much that bothers him, 2 nd season now and he not been off with an injury once apart from a bug he must have got and he wasn’t himself for a week. fed him up and he was soon back to his normal self. 

Ibuprofen Dosing Information of Ibuprofen for Dogs. Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian. The usual dose in dogs is 2.5 to 4 mg per pound (5 to 8 mg/kg) every 12 hours. It is NOT recommended for use in cats.

7 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Ibuprofen Dosing Information of Ibuprofen for Dogs. Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian. The usual dose in dogs is 2.5 to 4 mg per pound (5 to 8 mg/kg) every 12 hours. It is NOT recommended for use in cats.

Not sure on how accurate that is as just pulled it from Google but like I said a small dose worked on my dog. 

28 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

good old google???

why risk it, can kill dogs, causes probs with stomach kidneys etc

I did it the once with an old dog of mine it worked for him no problems that' all I'm saying. Would I do it again probaby not but at the time it worked. 

6 hours ago, jetro said:

She's making a full recovery.  Up running about with the other dog. Eating heartily again. 

Just relieved and happy she bounced back.

Not her fault or anyone's but my stupid oversight not paying attention. No excuse or reason for it. Hope others learn from my carelessness. 

Atb j

Were they anadin extra tablets by any chance because they contain aspirin, paracetamol and caffeine. Anadin original is just aspirin and caffeine.

4 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Were they anadin extra tablets by any chance because they contain aspirin, paracetamol and caffeine. Anadin original is just aspirin and caffeine.

That was them jiggy.

Atb j

1 hour ago, jetro said:

That was them jiggy.

Atb j

1 hour ago, jetro said:

That was them jiggy.

Atb j

I would lean on the side that it was paracetamol that done the harm. It and ibuprofen are very dangerous to dogs. Some vets except small doses of aspirin for dogs but it's not advisable. Carprieve is the stuff to get for all in one anti inflammatory and pain killer. I had a family members bitch in vets last week that got a cancer tumour removed the size of a tennis ball and she had 1 tablet a day for 5 days and she was happy out as if she was never cut open and restitched. I seen terriers after good digs too when they would be normally feeling sorry for themselves next day bouncing off the gate to get out and about. It comes in injection form too but prescription only. I wouldn't beat myself up over bitch getting accidental access as most of the critics probably have kids that if they pull over and step up on a chair they can get up on kitchen countertop and eat boxes of human medicine that is probably 10 years out of date. They make medicine tasty nowadays to get kids to take it. Years ago it tasted like sh1t and it had to be forced down your neck. Maybe that wasn't a bad thing. You are not out of the woods yet because kidneys might have taking a hammering but best of look anyway. Shit happens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that jiggy. 

I hope your family members bitch makes a full recovery. 

The whippet seem to be doing fine this evening. Eating and drinking well.

She doesn't seem to have any problems passing water. 

I know it will take a good few days for to make a full recovery.

She's back at the vets on Wednesday for a full check up again.

Atb j

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, jetro said:

Thanks for that jiggy. 

I hope your family members bitch makes a full recovery. 

The whippet seem to be doing fine this evening. Eating and drinking well.

She doesn't seem to have any problems passing water. 

I know it will take a good few days for to make a full recovery.

She's back at the vets on Wednesday for a full check up again.

Atb j

I'm sure she will be fine. Been a whippet she was probably just looking for attention and was regurgitating her food after a bottle of red wine ??? If that was a wheaten or bull cross they would shake there heads and look for a 100 bag of coke after them soppy prescription pills. They only use them to come down off the better stuff. Probably sneak in a few runs in between.?

• Haha 1