Doberman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why don't you put it to a Mali bitch if you do pp? Or give Jeff burrell a call.... He's added just about every other breed except doberman to the oldest line of lurcher in the world??? ?  

this is a wind up, no wonder there is  so much rubbish  about ffs.

A tax collector I think.

Posted Images

My dad bred a litter in the 80s from my uncles working Doberman. I’ll take a picture of the bitch he kept back, although it wasn’t the raciest bitch he wanted to keep back, apparently my grandad sold the wrong bitch while he was at work! Was decent mooching dog and on the lamp and the odd hare, but not coursing just knocked up on rough land. Always in the right place at the right time type of dog. I’ll take a photo of a photo and get it up. About 25 inch I think but didn’t do teeth. Think made a decent dog probably because he was young lad at the time and shown her a lot of work rather than anything to do with breeding. 

There used to a doberman that lived in my village,a few times i had i seen it running back to where it lived with a hare hanging from it's mouth as it had some stamina and would just run them down.Spoke to the owner once and he said the same a scatter brained thing that when it ran off he'd just go home as he knew the dog would go back at some point as he only walked it "out the back fields of his house"..Would i use one over my lurcher bitch?, why the feck would i want to?..:laugh:...

I remember when I was a kid walking a little 20lb staff bitch when a older bloke sooled his very large Doberman onto my dog.My bitch bit down hard on the dogs nose sending it yelping back to its owner,my bitch kept walking like nothing happened.I think there a far cry from the original dogs and wouldn't bring anything good to a working lurcher or any hunting dog.

1 hour ago, fireman said:

There used to a doberman that lived in my village,a few times i had i seen it running back to where it lived with a hare hanging from it's mouth as it had some stamina and would just run them down.Spoke to the owner once and he said the same a scatter brained thing that when it ran off he'd just go home as he knew the dog would go back at some point as he only walked it "out the back fields of his house"..Would i use one over my lurcher bitch?, why the feck would i want to?..:laugh:...

how you doing mate , hope you and family  and dogs are ok  :thumbs:   , regards  a Dob , i am only going from the ones ive seen and what a bloke who trained   Raf  dogs , and helped to give advice on dogs for the police dogs  , he been on the telly , avery  knowledgeable  bloke on guard breeds .:yes:  The Dob  he said prob the last choice of dog he pick as guard dog , he said there more of a watchdog  that they are alert type breed  so would bark alot  to let you know . But regards    jaw power, courage , and overall power they are lacking badly  .  A rottie, boerboel ,  he said are prob if well bred  prob up at the top  with overall power   etc, but his choice   as  a dog with overall power, jaw power, stamina,speed , courage ,  would be  a well bred gsd, dutch shepherd , bel mal , with either x together .  if i wanted all round type lurcher , in my opinion  i would go lurcher x lurcher  there some great dogs out there proven/ tested doing there jobs, ive got a 1x gsd x grey Buck   who good dog , he does very well for what he is a big powerful dog, with strong jaw  , x him back to a lurcher x lurcher bitch  you get some  great lurchers with that drop gsd in the genes  deff:yes: , but regards  Dob  , no way would want it in a lurcher , rather  have  ridgeback   that alot better breed :thumbs:.

• Like 1
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:37, Runninggiga said:

Hi there people I'm new to this forum but was put onto it by someone via insta. I'm can appreciate ppls opinion and may think he isn't pure because his size but he is... but not that it matters. I have myself a pure bred doberman which has a very high prey drive, great agility, crazy genetics and loves a good rabbit chase. Proven to work well. He had just turned 3 and I will not use him to breed to my over dobermans as I do pp with mine. So I would like to put him to some use and cross him to add health to a dog and his work rate and ability. I have more images and videos on request. I would just like to see what others think? I think he would go well with a lurcher to hopefully through a rough coat to pups as he opens up easy when working which is a pain but isn't often as he clears a lot!!! Cheers for taking the time to read this.

IMG_6086.JPG

I know of a chap that has a Doberman Greyhound first cross, he got it off someone who was into competitive agility stuff. The breeder wanted Doberman brain and the greyhound speed. The dog is surprisingly friendly and looks like a silky coated black greyhound. It doesn't however have the fat flat out speed of the other local lurchers but I am not sure why as it looks like it should do. It also has absolutely no prey drive whatsoever. Basically its a great pet.  This shouldn't put you off though I am sure in the right hands with the right parents a dog like this would be fabulous. 

On 04/02/2018 at 20:37, Runninggiga said:

Hi there people I'm new to this forum but was put onto it by someone via insta. I'm can appreciate ppls opinion and may think he isn't pure because his size but he is... but not that it matters. I have myself a pure bred doberman which has a very high prey drive, great agility, crazy genetics and loves a good rabbit chase. Proven to work well. He had just turned 3 and I will not use him to breed to my over dobermans as I do pp with mine. So I would like to put him to some use and cross him to add health to a dog and his work rate and ability. I have more images and videos on request. I would just like to see what others think? I think he would go well with a lurcher to hopefully through a rough coat to pups as he opens up easy when working which is a pain but isn't often as he clears a lot!!! Cheers for taking the time to read this.

IMG_6086.JPG

Not having a personal dig at you mate, but I've read your post a few times now and am still unclear as to exactly what you are getting at?!

'Rough coat, opens up easy when working, clears alot'?!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Bluntly in the 80s dobermanns were scary well put together guard dogs  nowdays  their not , though I'm sure someone was it a mod? Put pic up of a Eastern European one that looked like the dogs of old.

Saw a pure one a few years ago was a monster of a dog and the fella told me it's sire and dam was from Argentinian lines which are like the big old boys used to be ....... well that's what he had told me anyway 

1 minute ago, Saltmoon said:

Saw a pure one a few years ago was a monster of a dog and the fella told me it's sire and dam was from Argentinian lines which are like the big old boys used to be ....... well that's what he had told me anyway 

Some of the ones years ago were not that big especially the bitches ,they were just determined and healthy .

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Some of the ones years ago were not that big especially the bitches ,they were just determined and healthy .

I think it's the same with most of the guarding/working dogs these days.  Most people opt for the easier to obtain british bred stuff these days. But if you do a bit of homework  and are prepared to dig a little deeper, importing or buying pups from imports etc, some of these dogs are great. Look at the state of the majority of GSD'S, as an example,  bred in this country, shocking. Not saying ALL, but the majority.  Same with alot of the german or continental breeds

• Like 2