Footrot

I lent my best Hob out couple of months ago for a mating have just noticed he;s come down with footrot.Can't find the treatment except Ivermectin but don't know how to use.My cages are always clean so must have caught it off blokes jill.Any help please,have not had this problem in 40 years with ferrets.Cheers.

Footrot is usually connected to sarcoptic mange main  culprit is the humble fox

I use tea tree oil on the feet every second day, buy a little bottle neet and paint with small artists brush that will sort there feet out may take a few weeks

Then wash with that stuff doug mentioned malawash malaban that will kill live mites but the eggs will hatch again in a few weeks so have to do again,, google life cycle

I also spray all the bedding nest box ect with diluted either tea tree oil or that malaban stuff

If you have other ferrets i would wash them also  in malawash and spray bedding

I am treating one as we speak he was a rescue ferret and was very sick with mange and starvation , however he has improved out of sight mange nearly gone

and the most plasid animal i have known with people and also a very good worker so it was worth the rescue , He is a big pink eyed white hob called Pedro

Bernie

• Like 3

I get the Ivermectin spot on for pigeons etc off eBay and it sorts the ferrets out if they have ticks or fleas etc.  

Few drops on the back of the neck hasn't done them any harm so far.

I have some of the cattle grade stuff..but I wouldn't be using that on a ferret.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:24, bjay said:

Footrot is usually connected to sarcoptic mange main  culprit is the humble fox

I use tea tree oil on the feet every second day, buy a little bottle neet and paint with small artists brush that will sort there feet out may take a few weeks

Then wash with that stuff doug mentioned malawash malaban that will kill live mites but the eggs will hatch again in a few weeks so have to do again,, google life cycle

I also spray all the bedding nest box ect with diluted either tea tree oil or that malaban stuff

If you have other ferrets i would wash them also  in malawash and spray bedding

I am treating one as we speak he was a rescue ferret and was very sick with mange and starvation , however he has improved out of sight mange nearly gone

and the most plasid animal i have known with people and also a very good worker so it was worth the rescue , He is a big pink eyed white hob called Pedro

Bernie

Update on my ferret, did the tea tree oil every second day,have done one malaban will do another 10 days after. Ferret is almost healed can't believe how effective the treatment has been.He's a top little ferret he lays on his back while painting the tea tree oil on,must be soothing for him.Won't be loaning my ferrets out again.He's our favourite as was hand raised by the mrs from a week old after his mother died.Thanks for the advice with this.

• Like 2

Thats good to hear it wouldnt be nice for the stinkys

I had a bad run with it about 15 years ago reckon one of my dogs carried it back from fox shooting he used to catch it all the time a labrador he was ,

Yet my kelpie never had it once dont know why they were always together , So if you have dogs also check them usually under there stomach were there is not much hair looks like elephant skin

but if you use them flea drops that gets rid ,, Mrs found a little spray bottle of tea tree oil in safeway the other day its a bit easier to use

Bernie