Good morning all, after some help on the legal storage of air rifles. At the moment I have a four gun cabinet and I keep my R10 in the last space, however my mrs is about to apply for her shotgun ticket so will use up that space and I am probably going to buy another air rifle. A while ago on faceache I saw a photo of a wooden rack that a chap was storing his guns on looked real nice and if legal would solve the problem of having to fork out on a second cabinet and carpentry is something I can do. Should add that there are no children living in the house just me and the wife. 

Thanks Richard.

i would buy a bigger cabinet maybe 10 gun to give you more room , after a while the rule in Scotland that you need a licence for your air guns will be brought out in England and wales as well 

• Like 1

You don't need to have the rifles in a steel cabinet as yet but it may come in as part of the government review on airgun licensing. I have two large cabinets and may either replace one for an 8 gun or simply buy another to take care of the air rifles and lets face it most of us have tied a few quid up in these guns so make it difficult for thieves.

Phil

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PLEDGEY said:

If her shot gun is in a cabinet you shouldn't be able to have access to that cabinet.

If he also has a shotgun certificate then this isn't the case. http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/legal-answers/safe-shotgun-storage-58349

If he has a firearms cert and she does not then he would have to secure these with additional measures (Cable locks, trigger locks etc). If he wants to share his cabinet with her, he is more than able to do so. As for the airgun, it doesn't technically have to be a secured in a safe. I personally do store mine in my gun safe and will continue to do so when I get my certs. Mostly as I have young nephews and cousins who visit who I don't want getting their hands on my rifles. 

However, as with everything in the world of firearms licensing, it will depend entirely on the individual police force and firearms licensing officer you get. If you get one who has the arse then he or she will probably moan about sharing a cabinet. Varies from case to case. 

22 hours ago, PLEDGEY said:

If her shot gun is in a cabinet you shouldn't be able to have access to that cabinet.

Hi I should probably have said I'm a shotgun certificate holder already. (fac as well already spoke to basc about shared cabinet etc) this post was about air rifles specifically as I will be out of space in my current cabinet soon, so with all the replies and advice I have had I am probably going to get a bigger cabinet to accommodate everything as security is absolutely paramount and as philpot said there is a few quid tied up in these air rifles so keep them safe. 

Thanks for all who have read this post and who have replied this has helped.

Should add that the mrs has been coming to the shooting ground and been having lessons with the club 20 bore and is not bad so is looking to give me a run for my money... oh well.

Thanks Richard.

Edited by hillbilly1975
  • Like 2